Recommendation on an AR-15 for around 800 bucks?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
lawrnk
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Recommendation on an AR-15 for around 800 bucks?

Post by lawrnk »

lrb111 wrote:
lawrnk wrote:
dukalmighty wrote:I looked at cmmg website and they have a lot of bargain bin guns that were built from used parts,but for that price if something needs changed it's a great start $585 shipped isn't bad and if you ever wanta change a barrel or trigger or sumpin else there are members on here that could help you with that
Well, I think I have decided on CMMG. I've not found anyone with a bad think to say about them. But where did you find 585?
I would certainly take some upgrades from there, but I found most everything from 900-1000 range.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=33&
Missed those. Thanks!
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 4

Post by propellerhead »

Here's my deal to beat for now. $615 + FFL
Del-ton rifle kit (everything but the lower receiver) $485 shipped
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid-Length Rifle Kit

DPMS stripped lower receiver $130 shipped plus FFL
http://www.del-ton.com/DPMS_Lower_Receiver_p/lr1000.htm
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 DPMS Stripped Lower Receiver

I was also looking at the CMMG Bargain Bin 16" M4 for $582 + FFL. I think we would have to pay the 11% Federal Excise Tax though. That would bring it to about $640, unless that price already includes the tax. I sent them an email to confirm. Anyone know?

I'm not too worried about getting the brand name stuff right now. It's going to be a plinking rifle. Not something I'm going carry into a combat zone.

Topic author
lawrnk
Posts in topic: 6

Post by lawrnk »

propellerhead wrote:Here's my deal to beat for now. $615 + FFL
Del-ton rifle kit (everything but the lower receiver) $485 shipped
http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt104.htm
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid-Length Rifle Kit

DPMS stripped lower receiver $130 shipped plus FFL
http://www.del-ton.com/DPMS_Lower_Receiver_p/lr1000.htm
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 DPMS Stripped Lower Receiver

I was also looking at the CMMG Bargain Bin 16" M4 for $582 + FFL. I think we would have to pay the 11% Federal Excise Tax though. That would bring it to about $640, unless that price already includes the tax. I sent them an email to confirm. Anyone know?

I'm not too worried about getting the brand name stuff right now. It's going to be a plinking rifle. Not something I'm going carry into a combat zone.

I'm not familiar with Del-ton, but I have heard mixed opinions about DPMS. I agree with you, I intend myine to be a plinker as well. I've resigned myself that I am not going to get what I want for 800 bucks, so I am bumping up the budget.
I hear nothing but good on CMMG and will likely get something there. Now the reason I am investing more now, is I want to have something of quality IF a dirty lib gets into office. Every gun I am buying, is with the expectation that I may never have the chance to buy another.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 4

Post by propellerhead »

This may not help you but I just found out that Military Gun Supply in east Fort Worth has STAG, CMMG and Spikes lower receivers in stock for $109 + tax. If you're in DFW, that saves you from paying shipping and FFL.

I think I'm going to Military Gun Supply after work today. Then I'll order the Del-ton rifle kit. I'll have a working AR for just a hair over $600.

Edit: I searched for feedback on Del-ton kits and found many posts across different message boards about not having any issues, except one guy who had some rust. I think it's fair to say that most brands will have one or two bad reports every now and then.

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike from Texas »

propellerhead wrote:This may not help you but I just found out that Military Gun Supply in east Fort Worth has STAG, CMMG and Spikes lower receivers in stock for $109 + tax. If you're in DFW, that saves you from paying shipping and FFL.

I think I'm going to Military Gun Supply after work today. Then I'll order the Del-ton rifle kit. I'll have a working AR for just a hair over $600.

Edit: I searched for feedback on Del-ton kits and found many posts across different message boards about not having any issues, except one guy who had some rust. I think it's fair to say that most brands will have one or two bad reports every now and then.
Good choice on the Del-Ton kit. That's what I built mine on. And it is a tack driver. I went with the 16" M4 rifle kit. I prefer the flat top to the A2, much more versatile IMO.

A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Mike from Texas

Blinking Dog wrote:The S&W M&P is a good AR platform, I can attest to mine at least. The question is, do you want cheap or do you want good? Nothing good is cheap, and cheap is usually not good and/or won't last. And if you get the AR bug, even if you start with an $800 carbine you'll spend $2,000 really quickly if you add optics, do any modifications to improve accuracy, add some bells & whistles and all that.

So my advice would be to find one that you believe to be what you're looking for and buy it, ignore the price. If you buy el-cheapo you'll always kick yourself for saving $50 or $100. Just my 2 cents.
I can certainly attest to that statement! :shock:
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Mike from Texas

BambooShoots wrote:Save up a bit more and try to get a RRA Elite (midlength). Oh, and don't try to put one together. It's better to get it straight from the factory.

It's probably running about $900 these days, if you can find them in stock. Go chrome or go home. Make sure to get it chrome lined. I don't think chrome is a standard feature on RRAs for some reason (unlike Bushmaster).

The midlength gas system is the best gas system for the AR...period. I took a 1500 round rifle class just last weekend and my midlength didn't have a single failure. I tried to argue with a former SEAL/security contractor at the class and he gave me a look and asked me what part of "period" I didn't understand. I wanted to argue with him and see if the rifle length AR (what it was designed for) was better than the middy and it obviously isn't.
Why in the world would you say that? :roll:

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

I cried after i spent $975 for my RRA middy A4 and waited 5 weeks for it. My next one, i got a complete A2 lower and complete A2 20" upper for about 850 total, and it took about 3 weeks. I then got a vice clamp for the upper receiver, and the barrel nut wrench... so my third was a 16" A2 middy that i built from parts, and i mean... the only thing that came assembled was the bolt/extractor/ejector and the FSB was pinned on the barrel... but everything else i assembled myself, the key was ordering everything from 2 maybe 3 websites... total was $750 and 1 week. and I have run about 1500 rounds of remy and win. 5.56 and not so much as one problem
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

melkor41
Posts in topic: 2

Post by melkor41 »

budsgunshop has complete doublestar ar-15s for 699$

click on their budsblackguns link on the page and sort by price.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Cuda

Post by Cuda »

I personally like my DPMS 308B its DPMS's ar-10 with an 18'' bull barrel. My neighbor just bought a DPMS AP4 in the 308 and another friend of mine bought the DPMS ACAR in 223. I like DPMS they don't caost a lot all were under 900 bucks out the door. I like my neighbors AP4 I may buy one for my self.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Jeff Cooper

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

I built my own recently. Spent right around 800$ for all the parts (not counting tools, they are an investment for the builds to come... you can always borrow tools)

DPMS lower + part kit $120+49
DPMS upper a3 receiver $110
DPMS BCG $130
DPMS 6 pos stock $49
DPMS charging handle $15
(hey what can i say... DPMS is the easiest stuff to get around here)
YHM 4 rail 3 peice freefloat tube $120
Model 1 EM-4 barrel 16" with rail gas block $200
YHM Phantom Agressive Comp/Break $25
Total $818 and it shoots great and is very solid... it doesnt have that cheap rattle loose feel like the 800$ bushmasters at academy do.

Will have to go to a real range and setup a 100yd target for an official range report.. I just shot up some old computer cases we had at a friends land.

You dont really need chrome.... some are all for it.. some are like me.. MEH... Chrome was for barrels for cheap 3rd world armys that shoot corrosive ammo and dont clean their guns very often. They have to overbore the rifle then bring it back to proper bore with the chrome. If you are not planning on shooting tracers all day through it its not really needed.

I will be starting my next one as soon as the next gun show... it will be a Spikes Tactical lower with a model 1 24" tactical kit

Then my 3rd starting next month which will be another spikes lower and a 6.8 upper, havent decided on which yet...

Then an AR-10 the month after that, DPMS LR308 based...

and on and on and on until obama sends the jackboots after me.

The Chair is Against the Wall...........
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Cuda

Post by Cuda »

Nothing wrong with DPMS. Not to many years ago they made parts for other AR builders, then one day they decided what the heck lets start selling our own built rifles. They are tight they shot well and hey They even sponser a Few UFC fighters so hey I like em'.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Jeff Cooper

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”