shotgun help, rifled slugs or sabot

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 2

shotgun help, rifled slugs or sabot

Post by TexasComputerDude »

hey yall, I finally bought a mossberg 500 JIC.

I am totally new to shotguns and want to make sure I use the right ammunition for it. I've been looking for some good shotgun faqs but haven't found anything really.

My question is, will rifled and regular slugs fire in it?

if its marked 12 gauge does that mean it will work in my gun without blowing it up?

thanks for the help, I'd read the manual but I'm aways from it.
Glock 30 - main ccw

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: shotgun help, rifled slugs or sabot

Post by jimlongley »

From a review of the "JIC" series.

"All 3 shotguns are 12-gauges that come with 18 1/2 inch barrels, synthetic pistol grips and forends, a 3 inch chamber, bead sights, and 6-shot capacities. Each one comes packed in heavy-duty clear, resealable bags, and their impact-resistant carrying tubes are watertight up to 17 psi or down to 40 feet under water."

So from the text, unless you decide to try 3 1/2 inch magnums in your gun, you are not taking any chances with normal 12 gauge ammo, blast away.

They all come with "Carrying Tubes" suitable for burying in the yard, "Just In Case."

I did not find reference to whether the guns are offered with rifled barrels, so I assume they are not, leading me to suggest that you stick with rifled slugs. Sabots are designed to be shot from rifled barrels and when shot from smoothbores perform poorly.

For home/personal defense I would stick with big buckshot or rifled slugs, you aren't going to be shooting at the ranges where sabots ore more accurate, and rifled slugs hit harder.

Look here for a nice article about slugs in general by Chuck Hawks.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 2

Re: shotgun help, rifled slugs or sabot

Post by TexasComputerDude »

awesome, yea I was typing that on my iphone and my browser was being a jerk lol.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”