AR15 lowers

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR15 lowers

Post by propellerhead »

Purplehood wrote:Why do folks buy "Uppers" and "Lowers"? Why don't they just go and buy an AR-15?

I am sure that there are valid reasons, and I would be interested in hearing them. Is this for modification purposes?
I'd say for the same reasons some people reload. A little cheaper, you get to customize the options better, and it's part of the hobby.

jorge

Post by jorge »

Economic reasons are a big part. Also some people think if they buy a lower now they're free to build it into any configuration if Obama signs a rifle ban, even though neither the Clinton or Bush rifle bans worked that way.
Obamanomics: Trickle-Up Poverty

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

Purplehood wrote:Why do folks buy "Uppers" and "Lowers"? Why don't they just go and buy an AR-15?

I am sure that there are valid reasons, and I would be interested in hearing them. Is this for modification purposes?
Cheaper, the "I done it!" factor, gaining knowledge of the firearms inner workings, because we can, quality control, every one on AR15.com says that's how you have to do it.

It took me about 30 minutes, a pair of vice grips and a long flat head screwdriver to "build" my AR. I spent more time looking for a roll of electrical tape to wrap the jaws of the vice grips in than it did you put the thing together.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Dan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dan »

Rex B wrote:There is a federal excise tax of $100 on a finished rifle.

Also, you can save money and/or create a unique configuration by assembling parts from various sources.
Is that true? I haven't heard that before.

Backslider

Post by Backslider »

Dan wrote:
Rex B wrote:There is a federal excise tax of $100 on a finished rifle.

Also, you can save money and/or create a unique configuration by assembling parts from various sources.
Is that true? I haven't heard that before.
11% tax on complete long rifles and shotguns. Further down it states there is no tax on individual components.

If I were to build anything myself, I'd probably increase my cost 20-30% just trying to pick out the "best" component vs. the best deal, so putting together one piecemeal wouldn't save any money.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rex B »

The last AR I put together was a Scrounger Special.
I have $420 in a M4 with all new parts.
That was last Fall.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Backslider

Post by Backslider »

Wow. Nicely done.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

rm9792 wrote:Considering how the AR just comes apart in seconds with 2 pins, why build multiple lowers? 1 lower with fixed stock and 1 with adjustable then lots of different uppers. Save a bundle of cash and you can only shoot one at a time.
Because it would be hard to decide which one of my children to leave the lower to.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Topic author
longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longhorn_92 »

Bump - for pbwalker and his earlier question about AR lowers....
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

txmatt

Post by txmatt »

I like that one can order an upper online in exactly the configuration you want and have it shipped to your door, along with a lower parts kit, stock, etc. The only thing you have to go to a dealer for is the lower which many (nominally at least) stock. Also means you are avoiding the excise tax for a complete firearm as mentioned above and also the sales tax on everything but the lower and don't have to pay the transfer fee you would if you ordered a rifle and had it shipped to your ffl. I saved at least a couple hundred dollars doing it this way and putting the lower together was fun.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

+1 on it being a lot cheaper. I have assembled several rifles with RRA lowers and various flat top uppers for well under 850. One sold to some knucklehead for 1600 (his offer). You can build a nice high quality AR for less if you can wait and shop for deals and used parts.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”