AR 15 Wont reset

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rm9792
Posts in topic: 6

AR 15 Wont reset

Post by rm9792 »

I just put together a RRA lower to a MDS upper and when it fires it reloads but doesnt reset the trigger. If you cycle by hand the trigger resets. If you flip the safety on and off it resets and fires. I swapped uppers with a known good AR and that rifle fired fine so it is proven to the lower. Any suggestions before I tear it apart and start over? Since it resets with the safety switch could that indicate something? I have assembled dozens of these and never had one malfunction so i am not good at diagnosing problems in the lower. What happens is that you fire, ejects and reloads, you switch the safety to on and you can see and hear the trigger go back to ready. Switch to Fire and repeat. Also, if you push the hammer down by hand it resets fine. Gun just wont do it when fired.

Pinkycatcher
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR 15 Wont reset

Post by Pinkycatcher »

That doesn't even make sense, personally cycling the bolt resets it, but firing it doesn't? It's the same action, but one is faster than the other. I wish I could help but your problem confuses my understanding of the AR :headscratch

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Sounds like you have one of the trigger group springs installed improperly.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

MTICop
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MTICop »

That sounds very wierd since all of that is done in the cocking process. I would check the lower again and make sure everything is set in place properly. I can ask around tomorrow and see if any of my Combat Arms friends have ever come across this and what it could be. If they know of anything that will help I will get back with you tomorrow.

More to follow.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

Check the disconnector/disconnector spring too.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Yeah, I think i am going to just tear it down and start over.

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Pinkycatcher wrote:That doesn't even make sense, personally cycling the bolt resets it, but firing it doesn't? It's the same action, but one is faster than the other. I wish I could help but your problem confuses my understanding of the AR :headscratch
That is what is confusing me. It cycles by hand but not at firing speed. I think one of the others must be right about a spring in wrong but danged if it makes sense.

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

The major difference between the cycling by hand and after firing is the trigger is depressed when it is automatically cycling.
Being really new to ARs, Does that make a difference to how the trigger reset works?

I am interested so that I know what to look for when I start putting my first AR together. (Lower comes in the mail tomorrow :hurry: )
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

Thats why Im thinking its the disconnector or its spring.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

Sorry but I didn't get to talk to my resident AR expert today. I got some information that may or may not be helpful today from some others but they were all guesses so please give me until tomorrow to get with my partner and try to get you some hard information I know you can use. I just didn't want you to think I had forgotten.

Sorry for the wait.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

No rush, appreciate the help.

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

tore it apart and everything was correct. I can duplicate by hand by holding the trigger after firing and slapping the hammer back with my palm. Release the trigger and no click of it resetting. I put a different trigger spring in and it resets about half the time now. It appears that something is sticking related to the trigger.

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

Spoke with my friend today and he said it sounded like either the trigger spring or the hammer spring was not in correctly or was bad or that the trigger pin might be broke. I will talk to him tomorrow about your last post today and see what he says.

More tomorrow.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Range Safety Officer

Topic author
rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Trigger pin was changed along with the hammer spring. I bent the tips of the hammer spring down as a test to increase the pressure and it is functioning better but I havent fired properly yet.

AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

Make sure that the disconnector spring is pushed all the way down, if it sticks up too far it will push the disconnector hook too far forward and wont let go of the hammer hook when it you release the trigger.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." -Clint Eastwood
Μολών λαβέ!
Sadly I lost all my guns in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico :(

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”