Mosin Nagant M44

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rentz
Posts in topic: 7

Mosin Nagant M44

Post by rentz »

Finally gave in and bought a Mosin, saw Aim Surplus had m44 carbines in stock for less than i've seen people selling them for so I had a moment of weakness and ordered it.
Should be here sometime next week.

Anything in particular I need to know about these? From my research the m44 seems to be a little more highly sought after than the run of the mill round receiver mosins

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mosin Nagant M44

Post by maverick2076 »

I need to order one of these or one of the Chines Type 53's while they have some in stock. I've got a weakness for cheap old battle rifles. Frome what I understand, everything should be similar to the 91/30 with regards to accuracy and reliability, just in a handier package with a bigger fireball. :biggrinjester:

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

maverick2076 wrote:I need to order one of these or one of the Chines Type 53's while they have some in stock. I've got a weakness for cheap old battle rifles. Frome what I understand, everything should be similar to the 91/30 with regards to accuracy and reliability, just in a handier package with a bigger fireball. :biggrinjester:

I had been looking into a 91/30 but aimsurplus has the m44 for 169 so i figured why not, if i dont like it i shouldnt have issues selling it.

Guess i should start reading on how to get rid of the cosmoline and order some combloc ammo and a limbsaver ive heard these are murder on the shoulder

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

They aren't that bad, but they will let you know they are there. :biggrinjester:

There are a lot of different ways to get the cosmoline out. You can take the stock, wrap it in a black trash bag, and set it on the dash of your car for an afternoon in the Texas sun, and that will get a lot of it to bleed out. I used a clothes steamer on my Mosin, and that worked really well, along with mineral spirits and elbow grease.

sookandy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sookandy »

After you take the stock off, pour boiling water down the barrel from the breech. A 20 gauge brush works well on the chamber. If you don't get all the cosmoline out you end up with the sticky bolt syndrome. SGammo has some good prices on surplus ammo. They have the 70's stuff and now they have some older ammo on original stripper clips. It is worth the can for the strippers. They also have some heavy ball now that hasn't been around for a while.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

maverick2076 wrote:They aren't that bad, but they will let you know they are there. :biggrinjester:

There are a lot of different ways to get the cosmoline out. You can take the stock, wrap it in a black trash bag, and set it on the dash of your car for an afternoon in the Texas sun, and that will get a lot of it to bleed out. I used a clothes steamer on my Mosin, and that worked really well, along with mineral spirits and elbow grease.
Does it make your car smell terrible though?
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

74novaman wrote:
maverick2076 wrote:They aren't that bad, but they will let you know they are there. :biggrinjester:

Does it make your car smell terrible though?
That was my thought as well. I'd assume the same trick could be used just sitting the bag out on the driveway or something.

I'll be ordering some of that yellow tip, spent the afternoon doing research and apparently mosin forums are jumping all over it because its not often in stock anywhere and apparently shoots the best.

Not sure if elm fork allows it, i know they say no milsup ammo....but if you arent there during peak hours they sometimes dont bother you about that stuff

steve817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by steve817 »

I did something like that. I wrapped my stock in newspaper, then put in a black garbage bag and sat it on top of my garden trellis during a 105 degree day. I would take it out about every 1 to
1 1/2 hours and wipe it down. At one point it was so hot that I couldn't hold it with my bare hands. After about 4 hours there was no longer anything coming out on the towels I was using to wipe it down. I used mineral spirits to get it off of all the metal parts, followed by a thin coat of oil.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

rentz wrote:I had been looking into a 91/30 but aimsurplus has the m44 for 169 so i figured why not, if i dont like it i shouldnt have issues selling it.
Wow, I guess I should quit being surprised at price increases. It wasn't that long ago Aimspurplus was selling the M44 for $69.95, or $79.95 if you wanted them to pick the best of 5.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

Jumping Frog wrote:
rentz wrote:I had been looking into a 91/30 but aimsurplus has the m44 for 169 so i figured why not, if i dont like it i shouldnt have issues selling it.
Wow, I guess I should quit being surprised at price increases. It wasn't that long ago Aimspurplus was selling the M44 for $69.95, or $79.95 if you wanted them to pick the best of 5.
Yeah looks like m44s arent as plentiful now i guess going rate seems to be north of 200

markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

The mosin I just sold was cleaned up in two ways:

Stock: Dawn Power Disolver from Walmart. Spray it on the wood, wait 10 minutes, and it'll strip EVERYTHING off the stock. You'll have to sand it down, stain, and oil it (very easy to do), but it'll be void of 90% of the cosmoline and it'll look/feel fantastic.

Metal: Mineral spirits. Get a PVC tube (I think 3" diameter) and toss the rifle in there, then fill it up with mineral sprits and leave it for the day. Give it a shake every hour or so if you can. It'll eat and melt away any and all cosmoline. When you pull it out, hose 'er down with clean water and then with your favorite oil/CLP. If you do it this way, you don't have to pull any part of the action apart.

Bore: scrub, scrub, scrub. Get yourself a bottle of Kroil and soak the innards for a few hours, then scrub again! Repeat. I also did a home made electrolosys system on mine ($5 parts from ACE hardware and a $15 DC power supply). Google that and you'll get your bore as clean as it can be.

I did all this work over the run of 3 weekends. 1 cleaning up, 1 redoing the metal, and 1 doing the stock. All of this turned my mosin from a 6" group @50 yds shooter to about a 2" group shooter using the nasty surplus ammo. I managed to get about a 1" 5 shot group using some S&B 180 grain ammo and about 1.5" groups using Wolf.

Good luck and enjoy the pounding!
Cheers!

Mark

Razgriz

Post by Razgriz »

If anyone wants to sell one off later give me a shout first. I'd love to buy one right now to share ammo with my 91/30 '24 izzy, but I need this money for computer parts and my AR. Give me about 5-6 months to get better off financially and I'll be more than happy to take one off of you should you decide to get rid of yours, or buy multiples :reddevil: .

Topic author
rentz

Post by rentz »

So I don't even have my m44 yet and I've already ordered a sniper model that aim just got In stock

I don't even have my mosins and I've already got mosinitis "rlol"

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

rentz wrote:So I don't even have my m44 yet and I've already ordered a sniper model that aim just got In stock

I don't even have my mosins and I've already got mosinitis "rlol"
Thanks to you rentz, I ordered one of the M44s. Came yesterday covered in cosmoline head to toe. I broke her down all the way, including breaking down the bolt and she cleaned up very nice. A gorgeous, all numbers matching, Izhevsk marked 1944, with a very nice stock. I am very pleased with the $169 purchase, even with the import marks. Makes the ones at the local gun shows for $200- $400 look like beaters. Good luck with yours :tiphat:

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”