Finally...My AK build

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Chris
Posts in topic: 4

Finally...My AK build

Post by Chris »

I have had this kit since 2007, and just haven't been in any kind of hurry to do much with it. I finally lit a fire, and my father and I finished it up. Never built one from a kit before. Other than building it, it actually required no modifications, despite a complete WASR-10 I had some years ago needing tons of work to make it functional (dust cover fitting problem, magazine fitting problem, trigger slap, etc.). My father is not a 'gun guy' by any stretch of the imagination, and has never really owned one, but he is quite proud of the work we did. I think he was just happy that we made our contribution to the 'assault rifle' kitty.

Ericstac
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Finally...My AK build

Post by Ericstac »

That is awesome.. Especially the time spent with the father..

More pics?

So do those kits include everything needed or do you have to buy other stuff?

How long did it take?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

:thumbs2:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Chris

Post by Chris »

Mine included all but the compliance parts and receiver. The ones now don't include a barrel anymore, and are double what I paid for mine.

I need to hunt down a no-go guage, but it's all matching parts, so I shouldn't have any issues.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Nice. Always wanted an AK, but I guess I waited too long. Store in Buda had them in stock last week for $1250.. I don't think so.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Where did you get your receiver?
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks.

The receiver is from Nodak Spud. Including everything, this was a sub $300 gun. Sickening, huh? I snagged the parts kit when they were still $135, and included a barrel. I have been sitting on the box of parts for about five years.

rentz

Post by rentz »

I keep seeing parts kits with and without barrels, not sure I'd be able to actually piece one together since I don't have the tools

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

Welcome to the super-secret club! :thumbs2:
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Where is the barrel shroud?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Texasrpbrock

Post by Texasrpbrock »

Very nice build!
Proud Texan, NRA Member and TSRA Member. Support your local cotton farmer.

Topic author
Chris

Post by Chris »

rentz wrote:I keep seeing parts kits with and without barrels, not sure I'd be able to actually piece one together since I don't have the tools
Surprisingly, you can do it with pretty basic tools. On mine, I used just about every method available. The front trunnion rivets were heated red hot, then pressed in. The rear rivets and trigger guard rivets were not so simply pressed in. I used cap screws on the front trunnion just fore of the trigger guard. In hindsight, it would have been a lot easier,and cleaner, to use screws on the trigger guard as well. We mocked up a jig for the trigger guard rivets, and it was still a pain.

My red star retainer piece came in today, so it is 100% complete now. Tried a few different types of magazines and it feeds like an AK should. Night and day better than the Century assembled WASR-10 I used to own.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Chris wrote:Thanks.

The receiver is from Nodak Spud. Including everything, this was a sub $300 gun. Sickening, huh? I snagged the parts kit when they were still $135, and included a barrel. I have been sitting on the box of parts for about five years.
NoDak Spud...good stuff. The AK I own was built around one of their receivers, as well.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”