AR Component Pricing/Sourcing

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
xb12s
Posts in topic: 3

AR Component Pricing/Sourcing

Post by xb12s »

I was originally planning a build of my first AR right before Sandy Hook, but then that happened and I waited. Til now. I've been shopping around and it seems like pricing for complete rifles is about down to where it was before, but component pricing seems to be more than what it was. I was mostly looking at places like Palmetto State Armory, Aim Surplus, etc. Examples: a Daniel Defense BCG had been $185. Now they don't have any in stock, and the PSA brand BCG is $200. At Aim Surplus, a complete Daniel Defense upper (I think it was DD barrel and BCG, rest unknown) was $500 pre-Sandy Hook. Now, there are no DD uppers, and a Spikes Tactical complete upper is $529.

I'm wondering if it'd be more cost effective to just buy a complete Daniel Defense rifle at a local dealer than do my own build now. I was wanting to do my own build for the fun of it and also gaining experience and understanding of how the rifle works and goes together.

Anybody have any other sources I should look at on the net for quality components?

Thoughts about building costs vs buying complete rifle costs?

Another option is to buy the lower now and just wait and part it out slowly as I find good deals on components I am interested in.

Mostly looking to use BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske level parts for the critical stuff (BCG, barrel, upper receiver). Magpul MOE furniture. Figure out what I want out of the trigger over time and then replace it with something better than what comes with a base cost LPK.

el_chupo_
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR Component Pricing/Sourcing

Post by el_chupo_ »

If you dont want to spend Noveske money, I would be looking for a BCM, LMT, Colt, or Daniel Defense upper. High quality, known brands. BTW, G&R tactical had complete Colt uppers around $600 for a while.

Pricing is right where it was before, except many no longer have a "sale" on their BCG. But when you add the carrier group to a BCM upper it is $219 (IIRC) with a BCM charging handle, which is a $45 item, and the BCG price is in line with the quality.

Just an FYI on the Spikes upper price - that was the price prior to Sandy-Hook too, a buddy bought one about a month before. His is a 14.5 with a pinned A2, came with MOE hand guard.

If it were me, I would buy a lower and find a LPK minus trigger, or one that includes an ALG QMS or ALG ACT trigger in the kit. This will get you a good quality trigger that will be sufficient unless you want to spend $150+ on a better one.

If you want MOE furniture, DSG has some of the best prices I have found on MOE kits, but they are in the metroplex and you will have state tax + shipping. Shouldnt be hard to do a complete lower of good quality without spending a ton. But you can always check out complete BCM, Rainier, LMT lowers, or find a stripped Noveske for under $200 to get going.

If you want a rail, and have a few extra bucks, BCM has released their new KMR rail and Enhanced Light Weight barrel combo, which looks killer, and at a pretty small price premium vs their standard stuff. AFAIK, lightest keymod rail available on the market.

Topic author
xb12s

Post by xb12s »

As far as rails go I was thinking about putting "optics" (red dot or illuminated reticle) and then BUIS on the 45 maybe? Saw that somewhere, thought it seemed cool. Cowitness with flip up rear sight would be fine too.

I'm not at all experienced with selecting those things. I know TAM did a pretty nice indepth write up on at least two occasions and I will go search that out when I am deciding where to go with that.

I'm going to a local place that has Spikes and Noveske lowers in stock today to take a look.

Topic author
xb12s

Post by xb12s »

el_chupo_ wrote: If it were me, I would buy a lower and find a LPK minus trigger, or one that includes an ALG QMS or ALG ACT trigger in the kit. This will get you a good quality trigger that will be sufficient unless you want to spend $150+ on a better one.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”