Poll: What would be your only rifle?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

what caliber for your only centerfire rifle?

8 mm mauser
0%
6mm Rem
No votes
243 Win
2%
7mm-08 Rem
0%
25-06
1%
260 Rem
0%
270 Rem
4%
280 Rem
0%
308 Win
30%
30-06
23%
7.62x39
6%
5.56/223
24%
50 BMG
No votes
Other
9%

Total votes: 239

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Poll: What would be your only rifle?

Post by drjoker »

If you hunt, could only have one centerfire rifle, and have a limited buget of $1000, what would be your only rifle?

Please post the rifle caliber, make & model.
Last edited by drjoker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 5

Re: What would be your only rifle?

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Scout Squad .308. Waiting for the boss to approve the purchase order.

ETA: Sorry, just noticed the $1k budget.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

I would vote for the M1A, but I already have a Garand.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I have been quite happy with the Savage 116 Trophy Hunter XP in .300 Win Mag. Way under your budget, but good enough for me.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

IF i was hunting would like my dad's .303 British Enfield. He had the barrel shorten years ago but its still accurate. open sights can still hit a soda can at 100 yrds..
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

troglodyte

Re: Poll: What would be your only rifle?

Post by troglodyte »

One rifle for "all" North American game? No doubt it will be the 30.06. It will take care of it all, huge variety of ammo, and can come in way below budget even with decent glass. Which brand? Doesn't really matter. Any reputable maker will produce a good enough rifle to hunt with. A Savage with an accu-trigger would get my nod today but there are plenty of good ones out there.

karder

Post by karder »

Remington 700 BDL in 30.06. :tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

My Savage Model 11 in 300 WSM. The Accutrigger is sweet. It out shoots my Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in 300 WSM.

Picked it up at Gander Mountain in Beaumont on sale for a bit over $500 a bit after Hurricane Rita. Put a Buckmaster scope on it for a tad less than $400.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

troglodyte wrote:One rifle for "all" North American game? No doubt it will be the 30.06. It will take care of it all, huge variety of ammo, and can come in way below budget even with decent glass. Which brand? Doesn't really matter. Any reputable maker will produce a good enough rifle to hunt with. A Savage with an accu-trigger would get my nod today but there are plenty of good ones out there.
:iagree: :iagree:

Winchester Model 70 with Nikon BCD for me.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

jminn1 wrote:
troglodyte wrote:One rifle for "all" North American game? No doubt it will be the 30.06. It will take care of it all, huge variety of ammo, and can come in way below budget even with decent glass. Which brand? Doesn't really matter. Any reputable maker will produce a good enough rifle to hunt with. A Savage with an accu-trigger would get my nod today but there are plenty of good ones out there.

Theoretically speaking and since you posed it as a hunting question and limited to only one rifle I would also go with a 30.06. I agree any good brand would do. It will take any NA game animal and has one of the most varied factory loadings of any caliber. I personally favor the Winchester Model 70. Realistically I don't own a 30.06 (I do have a .308 Win lever) and I hunt with a Model 70 .270 Win with a Zeiss 6.5-20X50 MC scope atop it.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

puma guy wrote:
jminn1 wrote:

Theoretically speaking and since you posed it as a hunting question and limited to only one rifle I would also go with a 30.06. I agree any good brand would do. It will take any NA game animal and has one of the most varied factory loadings of any caliber. I personally favor the Winchester Model 70. Realistically I don't own a 30.06 (I do have a .308 Win lever) and I hunt with a Model 70 .270 Win with a Zeiss 6.5-20X50 MC scope atop it.
It would theoretically be your ONLY rifle, so it would be for hunting, self-defense, plinking, etc. Yep, only ONE rifle. (bang)
:cool:

BTW, thanks, guys, for helping me choose my next gun. I never even considered 30-06 but because of this poll, I looked up the ballistics of the 30-06 vs the .308 and .308 has much more drop per distance travelled and gets buffeted by the wind more than 30-06. It is a much better round. I'm thinking about getting a Savage with accutrigger and accustock in 30-06. Perhaps a Hunter 11/111 FCNS with a Super Sniper Mildot for range estimation.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

drjoker wrote:BTW, thanks, guys, for helping me choose my next gun. I never even considered 30-06 but because of this poll, I looked up the ballistics of the 30-06 vs the .308 and .308 has much more drop per distance travelled and gets buffeted by the wind more than 30-06.
Don't overlook the .300 win mag. It has a lot of flexibility and can do things the .30-06 can't . . . but you need to handload to get the most out of it.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

jimlongley wrote:I would vote for the M1A, but I already have a Garand.
You can get an M1A for $1,000? I paid $1,700 for mine.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

karder wrote:Remington 700 BDL in 30.06. :tiphat:
You must have a hard shoulder. I don't remember it bothering me back in high school, but last time I shot one I was so battered and bruised after about 5 rounds I quit shooting. I turned it over to my son and he gave up after about 10 rounds. A Garand would be my choice for 30-06.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

drjoker wrote:
puma guy wrote:
jminn1 wrote:

It would theoretically be your ONLY rifle, so it would be for hunting, self-defense, plinking, etc. Yep, only ONE rifle. (bang)
:cool:

BTW, thanks, guys, for helping me choose my next gun. I never even considered 30-06 but because of this poll, I looked up the ballistics of the 30-06 vs the .308 and .308 has much more drop per distance travelled and gets buffeted by the wind more than 30-06. It is a much better round. I'm thinking about getting a Savage with accutrigger and accustock in 30-06. Perhaps a Hunter 11/111 FCNS with a Super Sniper Mildot for range estimation.
:cool: drjoker, "theoretically" :lol: I have a Garand and lots of ammo.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”