Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by cheezit »

Thank you andy

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Nice!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Andy have you tried it with Subsonic ammo yet?
Results?
Do you have modern commercial can to compare it to?

Thanks
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

The Annoyed Man

Well Andy, I e-filed my DYI suppressor today, and also an SBR.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Well Andy, I e-filed my DYI suppressor today, and also an SBR.
I think I am about to follow suit on the DIY suppressor!

The Annoyed Man

jb2012 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Well Andy, I e-filed my DYI suppressor today, and also an SBR.
In light of the prez's announcement today regarding executive orders, you had better hurry up. The new rules go into effect in 180 days from now.

#TINVOWOOT

rentz

Post by rentz »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
jb2012 wrote:
In light of the prez's announcement today regarding executive orders, you had better hurry up. The new rules go into effect in 180 days from now.
yup, thats why im looking at buying suppressors now....the cost always kept me away but its now or never time.

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by uthornsfan »

The ATF just ruled that the CLEO signoff will change to a notification only. I think the word is it will take affect in about 6 months.

Just food for thought.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... -sign-off/

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

Nice! Now one more thing that I need to do.

rentz

Post by rentz »

silencers must be flying off the shelves, slim pickings at silencershop

The Annoyed Man

OK, I've embarked on my own attempt to recreate Andy's suppressor, but with a couple of upgrades..... The only steel parts in mine will be the baffles and the challenge coin. All the other parts are titanium.

Here's a pic of the parts I've purchased so far. What I'm lacking is the freeze plugs and a muzzle device:

I registered it as a 12", which allows me to rebuild it in any length I want to, up to and including 12". Apparently, you can go shorter than the registered length, but not longer. This tube is 9.6". I can either cut it down later if I want to, or I can destroy the existing tube and buy a new one in a longer length (up to 12"), engrave that one with the same serial#, and rebuild the suppressor without having to involve ATF in the process:

This is the end cap for the distal, "muzzle-end" of the tube. You can see that it comes with a pilot hole drilled in it, which you then drill out to the desired diameter compatible with your intended caliber. I'll be drilling this one out to .362" to accommodate .308 caliber projectiles and smaller:

This is the "challenge coin". It also has a pilot hole so you can drill out to the desired caliber. The vanes act on the gases to prevent the parts from becoming unthreaded from one another:

This is the "thread protector". It threads into the barrel-end of the can, and it in turn threads on to a Griffin Taper Mount Muzzle Brake. (It's ironic that the entire suppressor only costs about double the price of the muzzle device....):

This is the spacer that goes inside of the tube, between the baffle-stack and the thread protector. The inside of the space will be occupied by the muzzle device. The spacer has to have a short piece - maybe a 1/2" or so - cut off the distal end, and the challenge coin goes between the two pieces of spacer:

And here is the order of assembly, minus the baffles (freeze plugs) which I have not yet purchased, keeping in mind that the challenge coin will be inserted along the length of the spacer, about a 1/2" or so from the distal end of it.

These are the freeze plugs you need: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0204530916

Here's the links to the parts I bought: Including $12.00 for shipping, I was out the door for $248.44. The freeze plugs are $0.69/each, and I'm going to need about 14 or 15 of them, or about $10. To put all of this into perspective, my all-steel AAC 762-SDN-6 can (7.6" long) was $830.00. So even after I buy the freeze plugs, I'll be in for less than 1/3 the cost of my AAC suppressor........

.......AND.......

I'll have a user-serviceable/user-rebuildable/user-configurable suppressor. If my AAC suppressor needs servicing, it has to go back to AAC, and then there are all kinds of transferring issues.

I have one more commercial suppressor I'm going to buy (a Griffin Optimus), and then I'm going to build all of mine from now on.

Edited to add:
DISCLAIMER:
Almost ANYBODY can build one of these things. However, DO NOT assemble a complete suppressor without having already had the tube engraved; and DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN ANYTHING until you've received your approved tax stamp back from ATF. IF YOU DRILL THE PARTS WITHOUT A TAX STAMP IN HAND, you will be in constructive possession of an unregistered Class III NFA item, EVEN IF it is not assembled, and that is not a good place to be, so long as the law mandates registration. Now, when the zombie apocalypse happens (and people who shoot suppressed will live longer), have at it all you want. :lol:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”