Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I took my son out to ETTS today and he shot his completed suppressor. In the videos below, the first one is him shooting his .308 Savage, and the second one is me shooting my SCAR 17, both with his suppressor mounted. As you can see, we wore no ear-pro. It simply wasn't necessary. Later in the afternoon, we both qualified out to 600 yards on the long range (pressed for time, and couldn't get any further in the time we had), and my son shot his Savage suppressed at that distance and experienced no issues.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Looks like a fun day. Where did you find a place dry enough to lay prone? everywhere around me I will need a wet suit and floaties. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

wil
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wil »

AndyC wrote:Unsure, I was having optics/mount issues - I'll redo another time, but it looked like the group was actually bigger. I might have to drill everything out a tiny bit more - don't know yet, too many moving parts.
If I may suggest, trim your barrel length first as you were planning to do and recheck the point of impact and/or groupings before you start drilling things out. POI shift is barrel harmonics (barrel flex) being changed due to the suppressor weight. Trimming the barrel length generally changes the harmonics, a shorter barrel 'usually' has less change in POI due to a suppressor. A shorter barrel has less 'whip' (flex) due to the suppressor having less moment arm via a shorter barrel length.

The Annoyed Man

I just posted the following on the SD Tactical Arms forum:
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am hoping that posting this will maybe jog someone at SDT into action......

On 1/5/16, I ordered all the parts for my build and then e-filed for the stamp on the same day.

The parts I ordered were:
  • A D-cell end cap - titanium, $45.99
  • A D-cell Griffin Muzzle Brake Adapter - titanium, $44.98
  • A D-cell 9.6" tube - titanium, $80.49
  • A D-cell 4" spacer tube - titanium, $27.99
  • A D-cell challenge coin - $34.99
  • Engraving service - $2.00
I got everything not too long after, and assembled the parts without the freeze plugs just to make sure it all fit, however, I did NOT have a Griffin muzzle brake yet to make sure the adapter fit the brake. I put the parts away in my gun safe and waited for my form 1 to clear (111 days today, and still no joy). In the meantime, I acquired a Griffin muzzzle break and mounted it on my SCAR 17.

A month prior to my doing all of the above, my son also bought parts identical to the above list - except his tube is 7.6" instead of 9.6" - and his form 1 (under my trust) has been approved and his can assembled. I have used it on my SCAR and it works great. In other words, his Griffin muzzle break adapter is correctly sized.

After having tried his can on my rifle a little over two weeks ago, when I got home, I reassembled MY parts (minus the freeze plugs, with nothing drilled) and tried to mount it on my SCAR 17. No joy. The adapter I was shipped is WAY oversized and does NOT match the description on my order or on the invoice, which I still have.

I sent an email to sales@sdtacticalarms.com on 4/10/16, describing the problem in detail and with included pictures proving the problem, and exactly nobody has ever gotten back to me. This morning, when I phoned the number provided on the website, I get a voicemail greeting saying that "she" is out of the office today and tomorrow. I left a voice message. I hope I get a better response than I did to the email. I would have expected a better response to the email I sent. Actually, I would have expected ANY response, not NO response.

Is there a phone number besides the one on the website where I can reach a live person to expedite a resolution to this problem? I am happy to send back the unused incorrect adapter in exchange for the one I actually paid for and did not receive. I would expect SD Tactical Arms to pickup the return freight since this is their error, not mine.

so if anybody knows of a phone number where someone will answer today, I would appreciate it. They've kind of dropped the ball on this one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

By the way, I just got off the phone with ATF because it has been 111 days since I e-filed - which is supposed to take less time - and they are telling me that it is now 5 months from filing date for e-files, and so my 1/5/16 filing won't be approved until on or about 6/5/16. :mad5

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:By the way, I just got off the phone with ATF because it has been 111 days since I e-filed - which is supposed to take less time - and they are telling me that it is now 5 months from filing date for e-files, and so my 1/5/16 filing won't be approved until on or about 6/5/16. :mad5
Yup. Everyone scrambling to file before Obama's EO effectivity date. I have 3 stamps lost somewhere in the ATF ether - at least they cashed my checks.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man

The gal from SDT just phone me back. It appears that the adapter they sent me was for a Gemtec muzzle device, and I ordered one for a Griffin device. She said to send it back, and they'll credit my card with the freight amount and ship me the correct adapter.

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

In other good news, I just got the Form 1 stamp for my SBR this morning! Since it was filed at the same time as the suppressor, I'd expect that one to follow soon.

UPDATE: I just got the suppressor stamp today too!

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote:Sweet! Is it done yet? :cool:
Nope......I know it's nuts, but I've been too busy. TAS and I are supposed to go shooting tomorrow if the weather permits. If it doesn't, I think we'll work on it tomorrow.

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 31

Post by der Teufel »

Well, with the encouragement of this thread and the upcoming BATFE changes to the rules, I've gotten off my duff and started the process. I have the trust done, and the Form 1 is sitting in the outgoing mail box. Tomorrow it should start its journey, and perhaps in a half a year (given the current processing times) I'll have a suppressor constructed for my 300 BLK.

I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it had Andy not started this thread. Thanks, Andy! :seeya:
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

der Teufel wrote:Well, with the encouragement of this thread and the upcoming BATFE changes to the rules, I've gotten off my duff and started the process. I have the trust done, and the Form 1 is sitting in the outgoing mail box. Tomorrow it should start its journey, and perhaps in a half a year (given the current processing times) I'll have a suppressor constructed for my 300 BLK.

I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it had Andy not started this thread. Thanks, Andy! :seeya:
You can e-file the form 1 online and pay by credit card. You don't need to do it by mail.

BTW, last Saturday, on the day that I built and tested my new .300 blackout SBR, I also tested my new 10" long home-built suppressor on my 18" DMR rifle. It was REAL quiet. My next suppressor project is going to be a one in .45 caliber for my pistols (.45 and 9mm), using SD Tactical Arms' Gemtech adapter and Gemtech piston, but built the same way as these rifle suppressors have been built. Then I'm going to buy threaded barrels for my G17 and G19, M&P45, and XD(m)-45.

#TINVOWOOT

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

der Teufel isn't the only one you corrupted. I am about to e-file for two to add to our trust. One will be a dedicated .22 LR, and the other will be a multi-purpose to fit the 9MM SBR, .308 GSR and 5.56 ARs.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”