Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 31

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by der Teufel »

So, I called my local NAPA store in S. Austin, and asked if they had the required expansion plugs in stock.

These are the freeze plugs: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0204530916

They had four. I asked if they could get more, or if they normally stocked more of them, and the guy who had answered the phone said "No, we've kind of gone out of business on these types of items". But then he said he could order them from San Antonio and have them tomorrow. Interesting.

Not sure what the whole story is, but NAPA might be discontinuing this particular item. Oh well, looks like I'll get enough for now.
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 9

Post by maverick2076 »

Just finished my first form 1 suppressor. It's bored for a 9mm, and is 8" long so I can use it with 300 BLK and 5.56mm. When I get my second stamp, I'll shorten it to 6" and have an 8" 30 cal can for my rifle calibers.

The reason I built a 9mm can first is specifically to go on my AR-9 SBR I just finished a couple weeks ago. This is my purpose built, go to house gun and for anything inside 75 Image

I can't wait to hit the range Friday and test fire it!

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I'm jealous of all the folks who were smarter/faster than I was and who already have their paperwork back from BATFE. :greenfrown:

But, I have received most of the parts I'll need, and today I picked up a couple dozen expansion plugs. I didn't know if my little 1-Ton arbor press would be sufficient for forming them, but I figured there was one sure way to find out. The specs on the forming tool said a minimum of 1-Ton was needed, and I guess they were right. :thumbs2:

The assembled tool with an un-formed plug barely fit into my press, but there was a little over a sixteenth of an inch to spare!

Here are the first two plugs after forming. I went ahead and formed all that I had, but that's about all I can do until I get my form 1 back.

Now the wait continues . . .
--
Last edited by der Teufel on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 9

Post by maverick2076 »

That is the same forming tool I used, and it is dang near foolproof.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Called ATF today. They said they have my Form 1, and that current submissions are being processed in eight months.

Mine was received in mid/late May, so it looks like I may be waiting until late January for approval.

(SIGH) I was soooo hoping for a tax stamp as a Christmas present …

Oh well.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Finally got my Form 1 in, it arrived between Christmas and New Year's. Starting to work on drilling things out and running into what may be a slight problem. How to accurately center the holes in the baffles. I formed them a few months ago, and I just assumed that the forming tool would put a centering mark on the freeze plugs. It did not, instead leaving a flat center approximately ¼" in diameter.

So, for the guys who have already done this, how did you center the hole? Did you get a centering tool and drill pilot holes before forming? Did you just eyeball it? Is there a trick I need to learn? I want to do this right.

Your advice/comments appreciated.
--

Last edited by der Teufel on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

AndyC wrote:First - congrats!

Second - my forming tool has a hole in it to act as a pilot guide for drilling the initial hole. In the pics you posted above, your tool appears to have one as well.

Ah, it's been so long since I formed the plugs that I'd forgotten about that!

(grumble, gummit, 7 months of waiting, mumble)

Okay, I'm back in business. Thanks, Andy!

Thanks again also for starting this thread. It's what motivated me to start in the 1st place.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote::rolll

Pro-tip - cut your blast-chamber about 1/8" longer than you measured, because the plugs will settle a little bit after the first 10 rounds or so.
Yep yep yep! He's right. It may take 100 rounds, but it WILL settle in.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Good info !!

It's 28°F this morning, and my garage/shop is not heated, so work is slightly delayed (yah, I'm that wimpy) but I'm getting close.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”