Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by TreyHouston »

I have a friend that makes these often for a major online retailer. He produces a insane amount of these on several CNC machines. They are amazing and very well done. only the tube and end caps are for sale. If you know of a way to move them, please let me know. I am asking $65 ea and offer volume discounts OBO. the sell on "salt and pepper" (hint) for $85 I can ship for $5 PayPal, or I can meet you if you are in Houston for multiple. also willing to trade multiples for ....

here are the specs:
1/2-28 inside thread (he does make others)
Length of tube without caps: 8.25 in
ID: 1.35 in- 34.2 mm
The material is aluminum 6063-T6

THIS IS TUBE AND END CAPS ONLY

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lflotbepp66n ... 1wvfa?dl=0
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 31

Post by der Teufel »

A bit of follow-up:

I got the suppressor together, and shot it on my AR-10 and my 300 BLK, putting several hundred rounds through it over a period of several weeks. At first the POI kept shifting as the components packed together. Following Andy's advice I had cut the initial spacer a little long, so I had some threads left to tighten things up. I've actually used up all the slack I had available so I'm going to add a little more spacer soon. Meanwhile it's shooting more consistently, and I've learned a few more things.

The primary use of this suppressor is hog hunting. However, I kept missing the hogs at which I was aiming. Sometimes I'd miss a hog that was less than 100 yards distant by a couple of feet! I'd sight in the suppressor, put the rifle in the truck, and then drive around the property. Sometimes I'd drive back and forth several times across the place (700 acres) over a day or two. I think the bouncing around in the truck caused the POI to shift (we're talking not just dirt roads, but next to NO road in places). Lately I've shot the AR-10, then mounted the suppressor, and put the rounds within an inch of where the rifle shot w/o the suppressor. I've also shot the suppressor on consecutive days, taking care to remove and re-install it, and the rifle shoots to the same place. My conclusion, just mounting the suppressor doesn't change the POI significantly. The next experiment will be to wait until I see some hogs, then mount the suppressor and see if I can hit anything. I'm thinking that should work.

Another thing — I wondered if I might be having baffle strikes. I took the suppressor apart several times and couldn't see evidence of strikes, but close examination of the holes I drilled in the baffles showed that some were just a little irregular. Using a 300 BLK round as a gauge, I came up with this method for comparison:

Image>

This photo shows that the holes were not all exactly the same size, or weren't perfectly round. I used a round file to 'polish' the holes until they were all pretty much identical. There were still some slight differences, so I 'graded' the baffles and installed the slightly larger ones toward the distal end of the suppressor so that the bullet encountered larger openings as it traveled.

As for noise suppression, it's pretty impressive. It REALLY quiets the AR-10. The 300 BLK isn't as loud to begin with so the reduction is less noticeable. Still, when I shoot subsonic ammo I can hear the bullet hit the target! Suppressed ammo with the Blackout sounds like shooting a .22. Nice!

I'll still experiment a little with carrying/driving around with the suppressor mounted, but for the near term I'll just wait to put it on until I'm getting ready to shoot a hog. We'll see how that works out.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I've been continuing to play/work with this suppressor over the past year or so, and I believe I'm getting everything sorted out. The POI still changes sometimes after bouncing the rifle around for a while, but things have settled in to a satisfactory degree. I'm using it regularly on hogs these days. Here's a video of a recent hunt. The victim was a 195 Lb boar which was shot at a distance of about 75 yards.

The video quality leaves something to be desired. I think my cable is causing some difficulty but you'll get the idea …

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Very nice. :tiphat:
Obviously it's working as it should, it's been many a yr since my last hunt but, the deer didn't seem to budge.
Keep up the good work. :cheers2:

:txflag: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

der Teufel wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:21 pm I've been continuing to play/work with this suppressor over the past year or so, and I believe I'm getting everything sorted out. The POI still changes sometimes after bouncing the rifle around for a while, but things have settled in to a satisfactory degree. I'm using it regularly on hogs these days. Here's a video of a recent hunt. The victim was a 195 Lb boar which was shot at a distance of about 75 yards.

The video quality leaves something to be desired. I think my cable is causing some difficulty but you'll get the idea …

What optic are you using?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:43 pm What optic are you using?
It's an IR Hunter MK3 60mm thermal weapon sight.
I think Trijicon bought IR Hunter a year or two ago, so it may be marketed under that brand now.

Normally the video is MUCH better. I'm going to see if I can repair my old cable.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

der Teufel wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:07 pm
I think Trijicon bought IR Hunter a year or two ago, so it may be marketed under that brand now.

Normally the video is MUCH better. I'm going to see if I can repair my old cable.
I own a ATN ThOR 1.25-5X IR sight, but haven’t used it for a hunt yet. Heck, haven’t even zeroed it yet, since I’m not sure how to accomplish that during daylight hours at a public range.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:26 am

I own a ATN ThOR 1.25-5X IR sight, but haven’t used it for a hunt yet. Heck, haven’t even zeroed it yet, since I’m not sure how to accomplish that during daylight hours at a public range.
I’ve used the heat packs (hand warmers) from Wally World hunting section. I use looped duct tape to attach to the target board. I also use the targets with the hit indicator. When you hit one of the warmers it comes apart. Morning hours when it is cool is best.

I sighted mine in first with a laser bore sighter. In the dark Hang a warmer 25 yards away. With the rifle and scope in a vice center the laser on the warmer. Adjust the scope zero to center of the hot pack. You are ready for the range.

At the hunting property I fill water bottles with hot water. When you hit the bottle the hot water blast from impact is pretty cool through the thermal scope.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Yeah, I have an original Photon IR scope on another rifle. It's very useful out to about 80-100 yards, more if there's moonlight and the target isn't in shadow. In the early pre-dawn time (about an hour before actual sunup) I can see hogs a half mile distant if they're in the open even though I can't see anything 20 yards away in the darkness. The sky starts to light up enough at that time to make the IR scope very useful. BUT, sighting it in can be difficult. I haven't figured out a real good method. At an indoor range it's basically impossible. Outdoors, in bright sunlight, I can put a shade over the lens to reduce the glare and barely see a high contrast target.

I'm (pretty) sure there's a good way to sight in an IR scope, but I haven't found it yet.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

der Teufel wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:24 am Yeah, I have an original Photon IR scope on another rifle. It's very useful out to about 80-100 yards, more if there's moonlight and the target isn't in shadow. In the early pre-dawn time (about an hour before actual sunup) I can see hogs a half mile distant if they're in the open even though I can't see anything 20 yards away in the darkness.
My FLIR optic (it's a previous generation version to the current 1.25-5x ThOR) claims to detect a heat source at 625 yards, recognize it as animal at 280 yards, and identify what kind of animal well enough to shoot it at 170 yards. Since I imagine that most night hunting shots would take place well inside 170 yards, I figured it would be enough. I couldn't afford one of the higher magnification units, at twice the price.

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I seem to have sorted out all of my suppressor issues! A big part of the problem was that I wasn't keeping the proximal end cap (the one that connects to the rifle) tight enough. I'd cut my internal spacer a little long to allow for internal components to compress, and had not firmly tightened both the proximal and distal caps. My thinking was that I wanted maximum threads engaged at each end rather than one cap fully tight and the other not. What happened was that each time I shot and compressed/rattled the internal components the tube would sag a little. It wasn't visible nor obvious, but it caused enough variation to cause the bullet to deviate from it's intended path.

The solution, once I figured that out, was obvious. I firmly tightened the proximal cap first, and then tightened the distal cap as much as possible, which left a few threads for taking up slack. After doing that I've been going for quite a while now with no problems. I just check the distal cap occasionally and tighten as necessary.

Latest video — Some talking and video of hogs at night. Just jump to the 2-minute mark if you only want the shooting action.

Rifle is a 300 Blackout shooting Hornady 110 grain SP bullets. The optic is an IR Hunter MK3 60mm Thermal Weapon Sight.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

They did

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-e ... -zoom.html
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Today I received a letter from BATFE. Actually, I may have received it a few days ago. I found it on my front porch this afternoon. It came FedEx Ground and I guess they just dropped it on my porch. It was a Warning Notice saying that I'd purchased items from Diversified Machine which have been identified (by BATFE) as being "silencer parts". The letter states that the parts are not registered to me and therefore I may be in violation of various statutes, laws, ordnances, or other commands and dictates from BATFE.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. I wrote a letter in response explaining that I did indeed purchase components from Diversified Machine and that I had constructed a suppressor, just as they had feared. I also included with my response letter a copy of the tax stamp paperwork I got from BATFE which I received in response to the Form 1 submission done by the NFA Trust I set up. I suppose that's why they didn't list me personally as having registered a suppressor, it is in the Trust's name.

I'm assuming this will go nowhere once they get my letter with the tax paperwork.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”