Suppressor build success

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 31

Re: Suppressor build success

Post by der Teufel »

Among other chores for the day, like taking down Christmas lights and some other items on SWMBO's list I managed to finish my suppressor. I drilled the end cap and challenge coin, and then cut the spacer. It'll be next weekend before I can get away to try it out, but I'm ready to go. As suggested I cut the spacer slightly long. After I shoot through it a bit I can always grind yet a little more off if necessary.

Thanks to Andy and everyone else on here for the info and encouragement!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I am anxious to get working on my two form 1 builds (stamps are in hand already). First up is a rimfire moderator -- all titanium except for one SS blast baffle. Longevity should not be a problem. Parts are shipping today.

Once the rimfire version is done, I'll move to one for some centerfire guns, probably also mostly titanium for weight saving.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

The suppressor is all together, and I was going to try it out last weekend but the rain kept me from doing that. I planned to shoot on some family property NE of New Braunfels, but it was way too muddy. Soon, I hope …

I built this up specifically for my 300 BLK rifle, but figured I can also use it on my AR-10 — except that the Griffin Taper Mount Muzzle Brakes are suddenly made of unobtanium. Apparently Griffin is retooling, and the shelves are bare. Oh well, I still get to try it out and the AR-10 will just have to wait a while for its turn.
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

der Teufel wrote:The suppressor is all together, and I was going to try it out last weekend but the rain kept me from doing that. I planned to shoot on some family property NE of New Braunfels, but it was way too muddy. Soon, I hope …

I built this up specifically for my 300 BLK rifle, but figured I can also use it on my AR-10 — except that the Griffin Taper Mount Muzzle Brakes are suddenly made of unobtanium. Apparently Griffin is retooling, and the shelves are bare. Oh well, I still get to try it out and the AR-10 will just have to wait a while for its turn.
--
One thing to be aware of..... when I had the challenge coin in mine, it would get so tight onto the Griffin taper mount after shooting a while that I couldn't get the adapter dismounted from the mount, not even by waiting until everything cooled. I had to unscrew the tube/bafflestack/endcap from the adapter, and then wrap a rag around the adapter get after it with a pair of channel locks to get it off. After this happened 3 or 4 times, I removed the challenge coin and cut me a new piece of inner blast chamber tubing (Ti, of course), and reassembled everything minus the challenge coin. End of problem. But I kept the two pieces of inner tubing that go with the challenge coin in the event that I end up with the suppressor mounted to a rifle where it doesn't get over-tightened.

The Silencer Shop shows the flash-hider version of the Griffin taper mount in 5/8-24 as in stock.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

The Annoyed Man wrote:One thing to be aware of..... when I had the challenge coin in mine, it would get so tight onto the Griffin taper mount after shooting a while that I couldn't get the adapter dismounted from the mount, not even by waiting until everything cooled. I had to unscrew the tube/bafflestack/endcap from the adapter, and then wrap a rag around the adapter get after it with a pair of channel locks to get it off. After this happened 3 or 4 times, I removed the challenge coin and cut me a new piece of inner blast chamber tubing (Ti, of course), and reassembled everything minus the challenge coin. End of problem. But I kept the two pieces of inner tubing that go with the challenge coin in the event that I end up with the suppressor mounted to a rifle where it doesn't get over-tightened.

Hmmm, I'll keep an eye on how tight the suppressor gets after a few rounds. Thanks !!
The Annoyed Man wrote:The Silencer Shop shows the flash-hider version of the Griffin taper mount in 5/8-24 as in stock.

Silencer Shop shows it in stock, until you try to order one. When I select 5/8-24 thread and specify Muzzle Brake it shows No Stock. Same thing every place else I've tried. But, I'll keep looking …
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Odiferous
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Odiferous »

der Teufel wrote:...except that the Griffin Taper Mount Muzzle Brakes are suddenly made of unobtanium...
If you're after the minimalist, Schuyler has them available.
The Annoyed Man wrote:...when I had the challenge coin in mine, it would get so tight onto the Griffin taper mount after shooting a while that I couldn't get the adapter dismounted from the mount...
The challenge coin came about as a fix when some folks complained that the acme threads on the SDTA muzzle brakes wouldn't stay tight. The regular threads and 12° taper on the Griffin brakes don't seem to have the same problem.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Odiferous wrote:
der Teufel wrote:...except that the Griffin Taper Mount Muzzle Brakes are suddenly made of unobtanium...
If you're after the minimalist, Schuyler has them available.
The Annoyed Man wrote:...when I had the challenge coin in mine, it would get so tight onto the Griffin taper mount after shooting a while that I couldn't get the adapter dismounted from the mount...
The challenge coin came about as a fix when some folks complained that the acme threads on the SDTA muzzle brakes wouldn't stay tight. The regular threads and 12° taper on the Griffin brakes don't seem to have the same problem.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the info. Good to know.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

FINALLY made it out to the farm and had a chance to try my suppressor. It's certainly not movie picture quiet, but it does knock the noise down to a tolerable level. With subsonic ammo (I'm shooting a 300 Blackout) I could hear the bullet hit the target 50 yards away.

Main things to me were that it held together and there were no baffle strikes. I'm pretty easy to please. Gotta meet with a biologist at the hunting spot in a few days, and I'll shoot it more while I'm there. If some hogs show up, bonus!
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Here's a question I haven't seen addressed... If the Hearing Protection Act passes, how will that affect someone who wants to build a suppressor?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

loktite
Posts in topic: 3

Post by loktite »

Pawpaw wrote:Here's a question I haven't seen addressed... If the Hearing Protection Act passes, how will that affect someone who wants to build a suppressor?
Well, I imagine the first thing will be ... :chldancing
NRA Endowment Member

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

AndyC wrote: When are you going to post pics? :mrgreen:

Lets start with this one:

Since Andy and TAM have done such an excellent job of illustrating the construction and composition of their suppressors, and because mine is essentially just a copy of the work they did, here's a photo of my very cool suppressor cover!

My wife & I looked at a bunch of different covers on the internet, and selected a design that we thought was simple enough to make but which would work satisfactorily. We accomplished both goals.

Last edited by der Teufel on Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”