Inland Manufacturing New M1 Carbines

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Inland Manufacturing New M1 Carbines

Post by joe817 »

Back in WWII, the U.S. government contracted with the Inland Division of General Motors from 1941 to 1945, to manufacture M1 carbines. From their website: "By the end of 1945, Inland had produced over two and a half million carbines."

Inland ceased to exist around 1989.

But was brought back into existence in 2013. They are now producing 3 variations of the famous M1 carbine:

M1 - 1944; without bayonet lug
M1 - 1945; with bayonet lug
M1A1 - Paratrooper Model (folding stock)

http://www.inland-mfg.com/About-Inland/ ... nland.html

In addition(and this caught my interest), they are producing a 1911A1, AND, the famous, often talked about but rarely seen, Ithaca M37 Trench Gun!

The '37 Trench gun was the only U.S. military trench gun issued in WWII that escaped my grasp. I had them all, save for that one. Now, I might have my chance. :drool:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/02/25/it ... gun-rides/

They are advertised as being authentic mil-spec reproductions of these guns. BUT..."use a high quality cast receiver."

I could only find pricing on the 1911A1 at $649.95.

Anyone have any more info on this outfit?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

FtwBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Inland Manufacturing New M1 Carbines

Post by FtwBill »

Nice find. I am definitely following. I'd also love to hear anyone's experience these firearms. I wish them luck in their venture!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a 1943 Inland in very good condition. I wonder how the new ones compare.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Nice find. Thanks for posting. I'd like to take a look at their firearms. Maybe Singer will start making 1911's! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

As a recovering M1 carbine collector, this is a surprise. I think they'll do well (I'd know better if they had a price listed), especially with the paratrooper model, the 1911, and the trench gun. That said, M1 carbine collectors will avoid the carbines at all cost fearing that will dilute the value of their authentic WWII dated "original" carbines, and consider these with the same disdain as any other M1 carbine reproduction part or complete gun. I sold my two Inlands a few years ago, and only have a Rock-Ola and Quality Hardware left, which I will put up for sale soon (yes, it's and addiction very similar to the 1911 one).

I'm not sure if this Inland Co, has anything to do with GM. Appears that they bought the name, but I don't know. It will be interesting to see one in person and see how they are marked, especially the receivers and barrels, which for Inland M1 carbines of WWII the barrels were marked (for example):

INLAND MFG. DIV
GENERAL MOTORS
6-45

However, I just don't think you can recreate the history of a genuine WWII M1 carbine with ANY type of reproduction, because there's no mystic about the "been there" and wondering what history your carbine has seen. Sorry, but as I said, it's an addiction. ;-)

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

G26ster wrote:As a recovering M1 carbine collector, this is a surprise. I think they'll do well (I'd know better if they had a price listed), especially with the paratrooper model, the 1911, and the trench gun. That said, M1 carbine collectors will avoid the carbines at all cost fearing that will dilute the value of their authentic WWII dated "original" carbines, and consider these with the same disdain as any other M1 carbine reproduction part or complete gun. I sold my two Inlands a few years ago, and only have a Rock-Ola and Quality Hardware left, which I will put up for sale soon (yes, it's and addiction very similar to the 1911 one).

I'm not sure if this Inland Co, has anything to do with GM. Appears that they bought the name, but I don't know. It will be interesting to see one in person and see how they are marked, especially the receivers and barrels, which for Inland M1 carbines of WWII the barrels were marked (for example):

INLAND MFG. DIV
GENERAL MOTORS
6-45

However, I just don't think you can recreate the history of a genuine WWII M1 carbine with ANY type of reproduction, because there's no mystic about the "been there" and wondering what history your carbine has seen. Sorry, but as I said, it's an addiction. ;-)
This should help with some of it.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... 1-carbine/
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

G26ster, I share your pain. :lol: And I agree. Nothing will replace the 'real thing'.

But, it seems like these guys are taking great steps to accurately reproduce(as best they can...with some improvements) the same carbine, trench gun, etc. that was made for our troops back in WWII.

For example, the receivers of the trench gun are even marked with a flaming bomb. And they sort of reproduced the Army's inspectors initials to lend it more credence. EG: "RLB".I know RIA, but RIB is a new one one me. :???: Also, on the carbine stock, on the right side is 9what appears from a distance), a litigimate Crossed Cannons in Wreath cartouche. Interesting, eh?

And Jago668, many thanks for posting that link! Very interesting! :tiphat:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Jerry likes 'em! :mrgreen:

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

tyree

Post by tyree »

My preference would be for an authentic WWII carbine, but ultimately it's be a firearm for shooting anyway. If they come close to the original specs, I'd probably buy one.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I have a '44 Winchester that I enjoy owning and taking to the range on occasion. If I needed a rifle to bounce around in a truck, on a tractor, or general "keep it handy", I'd rather do that to one of the new ones than my little piece of history.

MSRP on the 1944 & 1945 models (with sling and oiler) is $1049. The paratrooper is about $200 more.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

joe817 wrote:G26ster, I share your pain. :lol: And I agree. Nothing will replace the 'real thing'.

But, it seems like these guys are taking great steps to accurately reproduce(as best they can...with some improvements) the same carbine, trench gun, etc. that was made for our troops back in WWII.

For example, the receivers of the trench gun are even marked with a flaming bomb. And they sort of reproduced the Army's inspectors initials to lend it more credence. EG: "RLB".I know RIA, but RIB is a new one one me. :???: Also, on the carbine stock, on the right side is 9what appears from a distance), a litigimate Crossed Cannons in Wreath cartouche. Interesting, eh?

And Jago668, many thanks for posting that link! Very interesting! :tiphat:
This is the major problem for the M1 carbine collector community. There are so many reproduction parts on the market today, the major discussions on the carbine forums are all about "fake" parts. It appears that the new Inland is making an attempt to mark stocks and barrels so there's no confusion, but it still lends itself to those out to make a buck selling repro parts as genuine original USGI (trigger housings, bolts, sears, stocks, sights, triggers, etc., you name it).

I have no issue with faithful reproductions, as long as they are marketed and sold as such, but with all of these "new" parts becoming available, you can bet there will be those that sell them as "original." Once those parts make it into "original" carbines, then the carbine later sold off, that's what makes it so hard these days to tell real from fake, that only a few in the carbine community can discern the repro parts. The average M1 carbine collector struggles with this.

Those dedicated collectors in the carbine community (and I'd like to think I was one of those) buy parts only from trusted well known sources, if one was transforming the original CMP "mixmaster" carbine back to the way it left the original manufacturer in WWII. Still there are many collectors who object to that. I don't. Matter of opinion I guess. The ONLY 100% certain way to ensure complete originality of genuine USGI parts, was to buy the carbine from the CMP, and get a typical mixmaster. Even then, the CMP replaced some parts as needed, but at least they were original USGI parts. Also, very, very few carbines that were sold by the CMP never went through an arsenal rebuild, where no attention to which of the 11 original manufactures parts went into the carbine being reconditioned. The arsenals simply tore them down, kept the good parts and threw them in bins, and when they were put back together there was no attempt to match specific manufacturer marked parts to the receiver being rebuilt. All 11 manufactures parts were interchangeable, as they all met the same gov't specs.

I wish Inland the best with this, but I'm sure original M1 Carbine collectors are not happy. I'll get off my soap box now :cheers2:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My friend inherited an M1 from each of his uncles ( they purchased every thing in twos.) They bought them through the NRA back in the 50s I believe. They were $35.00 each......He still has the original receipt.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

WTR wrote:My friend inherited an M1 from each of his uncles ( they purchased every thing in twos.) They bought them through the NRA back in the 50s I believe. They were $35.00 each......He still has the original receipt.
You are a very lucky man! Congrats. :thumbs2: They must be worth a bundle. Hang on to thoses's. ;-)

I bought an M1 carbine from the NRA via the DCM(Department of Civilian Marksmanship, the precursor to the CMP), back in 1962 for $16.50. I sure I wish I had it now.

On another note, I found the listing price of the Ithaca M37 trench gun made by Inland Manufacturing.....gulp.....$1,239.00:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... roduction/

Oh well, the dream was nice while it lasted.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

joe817 wrote:
WTR wrote:My friend inherited an M1 from each of his uncles ( they purchased every thing in twos.) They bought them through the NRA back in the 50s I believe. They were $35.00 each......He still has the original receipt.
You are a very lucky man! Congrats. :thumbs2: They must be worth a bundle. Hang on to thoses's. ;-)

I bought an M1 carbine from the NRA via the DCM(Department of Civilian Marksmanship, the precursor to the CMP), back in 1962 for $16.50. I sure I wish I had it now.

On another note, I found the listing price of the Ithaca M37 trench gun made by Inland Manufacturing.....gulp.....$1,239.00:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... roduction/

Oh well, the dream was nice while it lasted.
Time frame sounds about the same and it was through the NRA. It may have been $35.00 for the pair. I'll ask my buddy the next time I see him.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I love shooting these guns. I can understand the pure "collectors" only wanting genuine vintage guns, but for those of us who are more into shooting than collecting, I would be glad to have one (or two) of these new guns. Assuming it's within budget, of course.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”