Now you can use Aguila Minishells in Mossberg 500s & 590s

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Now you can use Aguila Minishells in Mossberg 500s & 590s

Post by flintknapper »

Flint, not saying it can't happen.....just saying I've never heard of this malfunction until now.
I know. That's why I am taking the time to point it out. I don't want you or anyone else finding out the hard way.
I'll have to investigate.
Manually try to duplicate the problem with ANY shot shell you intend to use for defensive purposes. IF you can cause it to hang up on the S/E or worse...fall through then it is 'possible'. Most shells that measure 2-5/16" or less (unfired) are suspect. Anything longer than that should be O.K.

You can google it if you like, you'll find it is not unknown and I am not the only one to experience it. You understand...I am not suggesting it is inevitable or that it occurs 'often', but I've had it happen about six times now over the years and its very disconcerting.
I wonder if - since this is a known problem - anyone sells an aftermarket piece that corrects the problem?
Not that I am aware of. I have purchased other Shell Elevators to see if any had a longer tab and none did. I thought about lengthening the tab on mine by welding on a small piece, but in the end....I just decided to use 3" shells and couple of other 2-3/4" that are 2-1/2" to 2-5/8" long. No problem with them.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

flintknapper wrote:
Flint, not saying it can't happen.....just saying I've never heard of this malfunction until now.
I know. That's why I am taking the time to point it out. I don't want you or anyone else finding out the hard way.
Flint, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I bought a Mossberg 590 last year that I haven't used yet. I have been looking for some good HD ammo. Now I will be sure to find something that shouldn't have feeding issues.

:txflag:
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

The only shells I could get to potentially hang were some cheap handloaded target loads I picked up when my son was qualifying for his SG merit badge. They vary in length, but they are between 2-3/16" and 2-5/16" all of my other factory shells are over 2-1/2" with most about 2-5/8". Since the Boy Scout regulations, only allow one shell loaded at a time, there was never an issue, I will donate the rest of these to the Boy Scouts and be sure to check any future loads I buy.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Coach

Post by Coach »

[quote="Pawpaw"]I've never had that problem, but I have not put many rounds through my 500.

Going by the video on the site, it clips into the groves inside the receiver. Looking at the picture of the device, it appears to have slots that would allow the lifter to rise and fall freely.[/

It wedges into receiver, using the geometry of receiver to help hold it in place. Lifter is not affected.

Coach

Post by Coach »

To answer some questions on the Opsol mini clip.

It fits snugly into receiver, using some of the unique geometry of the back of receiver to help hold it in place. The lifter is not affected. The clip is pretty well hidden, nothing sticking out of frame of gun, so no snagging, etc.

Bozz48

Post by Bozz48 »

I know this is an old post, but I recently came across the Aquila Mini shells and wanted to say that I have run them through my Mossberg 590A1 with no problems. I installed the Opsol adapter and shucked 40 or so mini shells through the shotgun before I went to the range. I racked it slow, fast, sideways, pointed up, pointed down. The shells always cycled perfectly.

At the range, the mini shells were a dream to shoot. Recoil was more like a 410. I haven't tried the slugs or birdshot, but the mini buckshot shells are loaded with 7 pellets of #4 buckshot and 4 pellets of #1 buck. At 7 yards, all of the shot impacted within the target area on the 8" orange peel targets I was using.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

flintknapper wrote:
Of the shells short enough to cause a jam, they don't have to actually 'fall through' to do it (though most do). I've had them end up in this position too:
Interesting shell elevator. I dont have much experience to say whats normal but the shell elevator in my Benelli is hinged on the rear of the gun and is the full length of the loading port.

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bozz48 wrote:I know this is an old post, but I recently came across the Aquila Mini shells and wanted to say that I have run them through my Mossberg 590A1 with no problems. I installed the Opsol adapter and shucked 40 or so mini shells through the shotgun before I went to the range. I racked it slow, fast, sideways, pointed up, pointed down. The shells always cycled perfectly.

At the range, the mini shells were a dream to shoot. Recoil was more like a 410. I haven't tried the slugs or birdshot, but the mini buckshot shells are loaded with 7 pellets of #4 buckshot and 4 pellets of #1 buck. At 7 yards, all of the shot impacted within the target area on the 8" orange peel targets I was using.
That's good to know. I have a 590A1 too, and my son has a 500. I bought two of the Opsol adapters, one for each of us, and they came in the other day. I haven't tried installing it yet as I don't yet have any shorty shells to cycle through it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

epwrangler

Post by epwrangler »

I find these adaptors are available online from walmart.

Bozz48

Post by Bozz48 »

epwrangler wrote:I find these adaptors are available online from walmart.
Got mine from Amazon.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

flintknapper wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:What's the point of those mini-shells? Meaning, I guess, what use are they intended for?
TAM,

I am sure most folks would not have 'need' for them, but I use them to dispatch Armadillos that get our yard and they are well suited to any application where reduced recoil and a lesser payload is appropriate.

On this forum....it is our nature to think in terms of self defense and I can see an application there, but consider also:

1. Certain hunting or varmint control situations not requiring the firepower of a conventional shotshell.
2. Introducing a person to shotgun sports where the recoil of conventional shells might be unwanted (Kids, Women, Elderly, Recoil Sensitive).
3. Any application where you would benefit from having increased shell capacity in a pump gun (survival).
Well said, Flint.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”