Now you can use Aguila Minishells in Mossberg 500s & 590s

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Now you can use Aguila Minishells in Mossberg 500s & 590s

Post by Pawpaw »

As some of you know, those little 1.75" Aguila Minishells only work reliably in some pump action shotguns. This little adapter will allow you to use them to increase capacity and reduce recoil in Mossberg 500s & 590s, plus the Maverick 88.

I read about the OPSol Mini-Clip™ on the Mossberg Owners forum. A fellow bought one and is very pleased with it.

Unfortunately, their website gives no information on the price or where to buy it. I have asked the individual, but haven't gotten a response yet.

The device is made by OPSol TEXAS and they seem to be located on the Northwest side of Lubbock. Maybe one of our Lubbock members could find out more?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Pawpaw

Re: Now you can use Aguila Minishells in Mossberg 500s & 590s

Post by Pawpaw »

They're being sold for $15 on Amazon.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

$15? Yes please. If for nothing else, so I can see what these little mini shells are like.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flintknapper »

Not sure I see how it works? Does it wedge into the receiver rather than attach to the shell elevator?

In any case, IF it attaches solidly and stays in place, then its a step forward for sure.

It would be useful not only for Aguila Mini-shells but other shorter (2") shot-shells and for that matter STANDARD 2-3/4" which regularly fall through the shell elevator of a Mossy 500 and jam it up!

Why Mossberg doesn't extend the tab on the S/E another 1/4"-3/8" is beyond me. For years....their reply (and others) has been:" Rack the shotgun forcefully to rear and then to the front".

Well....I've always done that and guess what, it is still possible for a 2-3/4" shell to bounce the wrong way in the receiver and end up dangling through S/E. How about they just FIX IT!

3" shells...no problem.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I've never had that problem, but I have not put many rounds through my 500.

Going by the video on the site, it clips into the groves inside the receiver. Looking at the picture of the device, it appears to have slots that would allow the lifter to rise and fall freely.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What's the point of those mini-shells? Meaning, I guess, what use are they intended for?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:What's the point of those mini-shells? Meaning, I guess, what use are they intended for?
TAM,

I am sure most folks would not have 'need' for them, but I use them to dispatch Armadillos that get our yard and they are well suited to any application where reduced recoil and a lesser payload is appropriate.

On this forum....it is our nature to think in terms of self defense and I can see an application there, but consider also:

1. Certain hunting or varmint control situations not requiring the firepower of a conventional shotshell.
2. Introducing a person to shotgun sports where the recoil of conventional shells might be unwanted (Kids, Women, Elderly, Recoil Sensitive).
3. Any application where you would benefit from having increased shell capacity in a pump gun (survival).

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Pawpaw wrote:I've never had that problem, but I have not put many rounds through my 500.
A shell dropping through the Shell Elevator on a Mossy 500 is pretty common. It can occur with any shot shell that in its un-fired state measures 2-3/8" or less. Remember a shot shells length represents the 'fired' hull not the loaded length which can (and does) vary widely.

Here is an example...from just a few shot shells I use. Note the difference in lengths.

IF Mossberg would extend the S/E tab just another 1/4"-5/16" it would eliminate the possibility that this could even happen.

Here is one sticking down through the S/E as proof:

That shot shell is a Hornady Critical Defense Load (2-3/4") a fairly popular round.

The Hornady is not the only shot shell to produce this stoppage.

IMO....ALL modern pump shotguns should be manufactured such that they reliably feed the full spectrum of 2-3/4" shells (commercially loaded). These range in length from 2-5/16" to 2-5/8".

Its an easy fix, Mossberg should do it.

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand. I've only used my 500 for duck hunting, so I've only put 3" shells through it. I'm well aware of the varying lengths of "2-3/4" shells, but had not heard of this issue with the 500.

I had exactly the opposite problem with my 930SPX. My home defense load of choice is Federal Premium #1 (or 00 when I couldn't get #1) with the FliteControl wad. This shells are at the longer end of the spectrum for 2-3/4" shells. As a result, my "7+1" shotgun could only hold 6+1 until I changed the magazine extension and added a XXL cap to that.

I see three reasons for the minishells for home defense use.

First - recoil reduction. This would be helpful for anyone that might be recoil sensitive. I know we're all he-men on this board, but it might be nice to have a setup that our frail little wives could handle. ;-)

Second - reduced penetration through walls. This could be helpful, especially for apartment dwellers. The #1, or better yet #4, buckshot is bound to go through fewer walls than even a reduced recoil 2-3/4" load.

Third, as you said, is increased capacity. There is no denying that the shotgun is the king fight stopper at short range. Unfortunately, they are slow to reload. That extra 1 or 2 extra minishells might make the difference between winning and losing.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Pawpaw wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand. I've only used my 500 for duck hunting, so I've only put 3" shells through it. I'm well aware of the varying lengths of "2-3/4" shells, but had not heard of this issue with the 500.
Yes, Sir.

You'll be fine with 3" shot shells, no chance they will can fall through because they can't achieve the angle necessary to do so.

But many 2-3/4" shells (that don't fall through) are right on the 'cusp' of creating a jam. In the pic below....you can see that this shell can almost cause a jam. If the S/E tab were just a little bit longer (even 1/4") this just wouldn't ever be a problem.

Of the shells short enough to cause a jam, they don't have to actually 'fall through' to do it (though most do). I've had them end up in this position too:

They are more likely to do this if you don't rack the shotgun hard to the rear. When racked hard...the shell tends to rebound off the bolt/firing group and settle more forward in the receiver. IF that doesn't happen...then on occasion, the brass bounces upward (being lighter) while the front (containing the shot/slug) remains down. It creates an angle that allows the shell to fall through the S/E.

Its a bugger to clear....and you KNOW it would happen at the worst possible time.

One caution when using the really short Aguila's, it is possible for them to turn completely around backwards in the receiver of a Mossy 500. Yes, its one of those 1 in a 1000 occurrences, but it is possible and has happened to me. I don't use them for home defense for that reason (not to mention they fall through the S/E).

The Annoyed Man

I have a 590 and I keep those Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" shells in it. I have cycled the shells through the action several times (unloading for cleaning), and I've never had the malfunction happen. But perhaps I'm doing it with enough authority to prevent it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have a 590 and I keep those Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" shells in it. I have cycled the shells through the action several times (unloading for cleaning), and I've never had the malfunction happen. But perhaps I'm doing it with enough authority to prevent it.

I have fired countless shells through my Mossberg 500, used it hunting with both 2-3/4" shells and 3", for over 10 years, and I have never experienced the malfunction mentioned. After reading through this thread, I attempted to replicate the failure, slow racking, racking at different angles, even upside down, and turning the gun mid stroke, with no failures. I went through all of the various rounds I had available, birdshot, target loads, buck and even slugs, no issues. I was able to reach in and manipulate a shell inside the chamber to make it wedge against the elevator tab, but I couldn't make it happen otherwise. I too have never seen anything regarding this issue. I agree if this is a common malfunction, Mossberg should look into extending the elevator tab to prevent it. I also wonder if it could be a magazine spring issue, which prevents the shells from "bouncing" back enough to clear the elevator tab. I will have to do more research and experimenting. (like I need an excuse to go shooting)

Thanks for the info Flintknapper.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

My dad and a friend played around with modifying liftgates on both the 500 series and 870s, trying to get the minishells to run consistently. You could do it if everything was 'just right' but get too fast or too slow and the little buggers would rotate on you.

This solution is really intriguing. Especially if he expands beyond Mossberg.

As for usage. The minishells can be very effective, and when you nearly double your round count...think of the possibilities.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have a 590 and I keep those Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" shells in it. I have cycled the shells through the action several times (unloading for cleaning), and I've never had the malfunction happen. But perhaps I'm doing it with enough authority to prevent it.
TAM,

Unload your shotgun, rack the slide back all the way, hand feed an un-fired shot shell into the receiver. Reach in and move the brass base as far backward and upward as you can and see if the front of the shell CAN slip past the Shell Elevator 'tab'. IF it 'can' then the potential is there. Doesn't matter if it hasn't yet happened to you. What matters is if it is possible.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 36172.html See second photo provided in his post.

Most malfunction complaints with the 500 concern shells dropping out the bottom ( a shell stop issue) and another matter entirely, so if you search you will find that more often. The link above is but one example of what I am talking about. You can find more if you want to spend the time.

I suppose one could point to the ammo manufacturer as the source of the 'problem' but I look at it differently. Shot shells are going to vary in length....depending upon the shot load and what method is used to crimp the shell. If you get one that is short enough (and the Hornady is NOT the only one), then you can experience a jam. Mossberg could easily eliminate that possibility.

It doesn't happen every time, far from it, but it has happened to me a half dozen times. I'm of the mind 'If it can happen it WILL happen' and it will be at the worst possible time. To remedy that....I keep the weapon loaded with 3" shells for home defense.

Just passing this info along....for what it is worth.

The Annoyed Man

flintknapper wrote:
TAM,

Unload your shotgun, rack the slide back all the way, hand feed an un-fired shot shell into the receiver. Reach in and move the brass base as far backward and upward as you can and see if the front of the shell CAN slip past the Shell Elevator 'tab'. IF it 'can' then the potential is there. Doesn't matter if it hasn't yet happened to you. What matters is if it is possible.
Flint, not saying it can't happen.....just saying I've never heard of this malfunction until now. I'll have to investigate. I wonder if - since this is a known problem - anyone sells an aftermarket piece that corrects the problem?

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”