Experiences with AK74 or AK SLR SBRs?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tateb24
Posts in topic: 1

Experiences with AK74 or AK SLR SBRs?

Post by tateb24 »

I haven't been on here in a while, but have been checking the site religiously. I am more of a shotgun person, and have had numerous carry pistols over the years. Recently I have taken an interest in AK style rifles, I owned one awhile back and sold it, really regret that. I have seen some info on AK-74s in 5.45x39mm, and also took interest in the Arsenal AK SLR 107s, but due to demand, finding one is near impossible.

My question is does anyone have any experiences with the 5.45 AK74 or a Arsenal AK SBR? I am really interested in some feedback on these rifles. Thanks
Last edited by tateb24 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Class taken: 02/15/09
Plastic in Hand: 07/29/09
Swamphouse Woodworks
Harris County

Beiruty

Re: Experiences with AK74 or AK SLR SBRs?

Post by Beiruty »

I have a Polish Tantal and I like it. I molested an AK74 from CAI at Cabelas, it was solid build with side rail and fixed stock but the steel coat is low cost.

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

earlwb

Post by earlwb »

What happened is after Russia started their asymmetric warfare stuff and took part of the Ukraine. The US government then slapped the Russians with some import bans. The weapons were one such item that got banned. So Russian weapons and ammunition got stopped from being imported. So right now only those people lucky enough to have gotten one of the guns before the ban have them. Unfortunately market demands caused the prices of any that show up for sale to be quite high.

Now for the AK74, it is a decent gun, Russian reliability is built in of course. They will work and keep on shooting no matter what. I feel that the 5.45 cartridge is quite similar to the 5.56 Nato rounds we normally use. So I personally didn't have much interest in one since I have an AR already. But the guys I know that have the AK74's like them quite a bit.

I think that some companies are getting in the parts and actually putting them together in the USA now. So it is possible to get one again. I think they get in the parts via those countries not on the import restriction lists.

bnc

Post by bnc »

The days of dirt cheap ammo are basically over. Prices are about the same as 7.62x39, but not nearly as common. Mags are also harder to find and expensive. Looking back I somewhat regret not getting one when everything more available.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”