Marlin 336BL

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Marlin 336BL

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote:
WTR wrote:They a part of Kimber?
I couldn't say if they are connected in any way, but Kimber's manufacturing facility is in NY. Grizzly Customs is in MT.
BTW, that top rail on that Grizzly gun is the same unit as the one I put on my Marlin above.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OlBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OlBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jusme wrote:iF you haven't already bought one TAM you might take a look at this from Mossberg. It's far from a traditional setup in fact it's so ugly it make me want to get one so Mrs. Jusme can tell me I have no taste. :mrgreen:

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series ... re-rifles/

It loads rounds like the marlin, 16.5 inch barrel, but then it kinda strays off the reservation after that.
The problem with that Mossberg is being seen in public with it. I wouldn't be able to show up at any range where either AndyC or my son are present....... I'd never be able to live it down.
It's ugly like homemade soap.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Iunnrais wrote:Marlinitis a serious disease :) Congratulations on the new purchase.

I caught it when I was 14 or 15 and Dad gave me a Model 60. Wish I still had that one, but it was stolen a couple decades back when we were moving from San Marcos to Austin.

Only issue that I've had on my new production rifles is the barrel on my 1894 is clocked improperly. Missed it when I was looking over the rifle at purchase. I only really noticed it after adding the scope mount. Mainly a cosmetic issue especially since it wears a little 4x scope to help out my eyes. Shoots just fine.

My 1895 and little bolt action .22 are both fine rifles and came off the new lines without any issues that I can find.
unnamed.jpg
Barrel clocking seems to be a chronic issue with early remlins. The front sight is usually OK, but it is the rear sight that is typically canted to the right. Of course I'll examine the rifle before leaving with it, but I'm eliminating that by possibility anyway getting rid of the OEM rear sight and substituting a sight rail and a rear peep sight.
Is your peep sight going to be a receiver mount or tang mount?
Receiver mounted. I'm looking at either the rail-mounted ghost ring sight like the one from XS Sight Systems I pictured above a few posts up, OR, a Skinner rear sight.

The Skinner rear sight:

The XS rear sight:
I have the XS on my 1895CB.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 23

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:
puma guy wrote:The 21st Century lever truck gun! Doesn't have a full mule loop, but will suffice. From Grizzly Customs

If they got rid of the cheesegrater fore-end, I'd like that. Wonder if the rail can be had separately....
Copy that!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Pawpaw wrote:It looks like you guys might get your wish.

Midwest Industries M-LOK Forend for Marlin Lever Action Rifles

They make a top rail, too: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/pr ... -1895r.htm
Maybe the next step is the AR-3030 :shock:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

This is one area where I have kind of old fashioned tastes. I own plenty of “tactical” rifles. I want my Marlin 336 to still be all wood furniture, with some sights and optics upgrades, but that’s it. Even the Grizzly Customs versions with all that quad-rail business aren’t my cup of tea, and I really LIKE what they do otherwise.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm with you on that TAM, but AndyC and puma guy were interested except for the tri-rail forend.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This is one area where I have kind of old fashioned tastes. I own plenty of “tactical” rifles. I want my Marlin 336 to still be all wood furniture, with some sights and optics upgrades, but that’s it. Even the Grizzly Customs versions with all that quad-rail business aren’t my cup of tea, and I really LIKE what they do otherwise.
I'm with you. Though I accept laminate stocks, composite stocks and stainless steel for harsh environs, I prefer Walnut and blued steel. When I was selling guns in the 60's and 70's we all though Colt AR-15's were the ugliest contraption in our gun rack. I don't remember ever selling one. Now I think they're beautiful creations. But like I said, still like my lever Marlins in wood and steel. I think the ultimate insult would a "Tactical" Model 39! :nono:

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

This is my truck gun 16.25 barrel 30/30 with peep sight added. Mossberg 454 Davidson brush gun.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Setxjeff wrote:Image
This is my truck gun 16.25 barrel 30/30 with peep sight added. Mossberg 454 Davidson brush gun.
:thumbs2: I read a few reviews including one by a Marlin man that were positive.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

I hadn’t seen those yet. The only Mossberg lever actions I’ve seen so far are the tactical ones, which fell out of the top of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down. But that one there looks OK.

Regarding laminated stocks, I don’t have a problem with them if they are well done. The one on my 336BL is ok, but it isn’t ‘nice”. OTH, the laminated stock on my Gunsite Scout is a very attractive stock, VERY well done. So laminates are OK with me. It’s just that some are sort of utilitarian, and some were meant to be attractive. Although I don’t recommend banging up a wooden stock, the laminated one on my Marlin makes it instantly eligible for “truck gun” status, because it isn’t going to break my heart if it gets dinged up along the way. But it would really suck if the laminated stock on my RGS got beat up, but that is a really nice stock. I’d like to keep it looking that way as long as possible.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I hadn’t seen those yet. The only Mossberg lever actions I’ve seen so far are the tactical ones, which fell out of the top of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down. But that one there looks OK.

Regarding laminated stocks, I don’t have a problem with them if they are well done. The one on my 336BL is ok, but it isn’t ‘nice”. OTH, the laminated stock on my Gunsite Scout is a very attractive stock, VERY well done. So laminates are OK with me. It’s just that some are sort of utilitarian, and some were meant to be attractive. Although I don’t recommend banging up a wooden stock, the laminated one on my Marlin makes it instantly eligible for “truck gun” status, because it isn’t going to break my heart if it gets dinged up along the way. But it would really suck if the laminated stock on my RGS got beat up, but that is a really nice stock. I’d like to keep it looking that way as long as possible.
I was impressed by the reviews of the Mossberg 464 and the Davidson version looks nice. I am not familiar with marine coat, I know Mossberg makes a Shockwave using it.
As for laminated stocks I was really speaking to aesthetics when mentioned them. If I could only have one long gun my heart would rule for Walnut and Blued Steel. Back in the day there were laminate stocks made of contrasting wood, mainly for looks. I wasn't a fan.
Laminated and composite stocks meet a purpose; they are strong and resist movement in humid scenarios and I certainly can't argue with form following function. I have a couple of rifles with laminate stocks - both are .22 Marlins. By contrast I've seen AR's with wood stocks, which is just weird looking to me. :lol:

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

The main turn=off for me on the Mossberg lever is the lever safety...I generally use a loose trigger hand...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”