M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events After Out Of Battery and “Run Away” Discharges

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Re: M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events After Out Of Battery and “Run Away” Discharges

Post by Pawpaw »

AndyC wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
philip964 wrote:Sorry I don't know much about rifles. They have batteries?
AndyC wrote:"Out of battery" means that the bolt isn't locked into position - pretty dangerous when the cartridge fires.
Congratulations Philip!! You caught a live one!!! :lol:
I took the chance in case it was a genuine question - I don't know how much or little he knows.
I figured as much. Still, I couldn't resist! The devil made me do it! :evil2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 5

Re: M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events After Out Of Battery and “Run Away” Discharges

Post by cyphertext »

bblhd672 wrote:But seriously...has there been any new information on this from either S&W or Appleseed?
I've been corresponding with an Appleseed person online and today he told me that S&W was in contact with Appleseed when the ban was initiated and since then S&W has been investigating but no new info available.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

cyphertext wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:But seriously...has there been any new information on this from either S&W or Appleseed?
I've been corresponding with an Appleseed person online and today he told me that S&W was in contact with Appleseed when the ban was initiated and since then S&W has been investigating but no new info available.
Thanks!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

Pawpaw wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
philip964 wrote:Sorry I don't know much about rifles. They have batteries?
AndyC wrote:"Out of battery" means that the bolt isn't locked into position - pretty dangerous when the cartridge fires.
Congratulations Philip!! You caught a live one!!! :lol:
I took the chance in case it was a genuine question - I don't know how much or little he knows.
I figured as much. Still, I couldn't resist! The devil made me do it! :evil2:
So my dad was in the Navy in WW2. After the war ended, he volunteered to help turn his ship over to the Japanese to assist their economy, since he served on what was essentially a Navy cargo ship. He rose during the war from Machinist Mate to Chief, but his entire view of the war was from the engine room. He did not enjoy the WW2 submarine movies as much as I did. He ended up going to Tokyo with his ship and teaching the Japanese how to operate the engines. He returned home with a Japanese army rifle. To bring it home he was required to break the firing pin off inside the bolt. It was a bolt action rifle with a quite interesting rear sight. I assume the cartridges were held on a clip. There was a trap door in the bottom of the rifle, we assumed the cartridges went in there.

I played a lot with that rifle. That is my entire experience with rifles. I understand they are quite common and can be bought for $200, I assume with the firing pin not broken off.

So you are telling me out of battery is the position when the bolt is not locked down. Then your saying a rifle fired in that position.

Why even have a trigger, if your going to make a rifle like that.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote:So you are telling me out of battery is the position when the bolt is not locked down. Then your saying a rifle fired in that position.

They' aren't supposed to do that. No one makes them like that intentionally.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:
philip964 wrote:So you are telling me out of battery is the position when the bolt is not locked down. Then your saying a rifle fired in that position.

They' aren't supposed to do that. No one makes them like that intentionally.
:iagree: C-dub is telling it straight. I've seen it happen with .22LR and it's generally no big deal. If it happens with a centerfire cartridge, it's often catastrophic for the rifle (or pistol) and sometimes for the shooter.

Think, "explosion in the ejection port".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

cyphertext wrote:I've been corresponding with an Appleseed person online and today he told me that S&W was in contact with Appleseed when the ban was initiated and since then S&W has been investigating but no new info available.
Anything new on this?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

My input: I own a 15/22 and after 300 rounds without a hiccup, I guess I'm just lucky I got one that doesn't go mad...

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

bblhd672 wrote:
cyphertext wrote:I've been corresponding with an Appleseed person online and today he told me that S&W was in contact with Appleseed when the ban was initiated and since then S&W has been investigating but no new info available.
Anything new on this?
Haven't seen a thing...

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

bblhd672 wrote:
Anything new on this?
Still banned.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=49562.0

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Pawpaw wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Anything new on this?
Still banned.

We know that... but haven't heard anymore info on what S&W is doing, if anything.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

cyphertext wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Anything new on this?
Still banned.

We know that... but haven't heard anymore info on what S&W is doing, if anything.
Well, now my 15-22 is banned from Appleseed shoots and I am banned from their forum! However, I did receive a private message from "Scuzzy"... He told me that S&W quit responding to AS and has not responded to them in months, so AS considers this issue as "closed". So it looks like that temporary restriction of the M&P 15-22 is now a complete ban.

I messaged S&W customer service on FB, and they told me that they have nothing new to report.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

^^^Interesting. I read your more lengthy post on RimefireCentral and was kind of shocked by the way the AS folks/forum was handling this. You'll see by my comments on page one of this topic that I'm not really buying their reasoning for the ban. Has really put a sour taste in my mouth for possibly attending an event in the future.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”