Slugs thru a "TARGET" barrel

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
B23Msports
Posts in topic: 2

Slugs thru a "TARGET" barrel

Post by B23Msports »

I still have a Remington 870TC and a Remington 1187 from our family trap shooting days. Both are true trap grade models and the barrels are stamped "TARGET". I have the Rem-Chokes in X-Full, Full and Imp-Modified. For home defense use, can slugs be shot thru these with that type of barrel?

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Slugs thru a "TARGET" barrel

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:You can, but try stay away from the full chokes. The ribs on Brenneke and Foster style slugs are designed to collapse when going through choke constrictions, but I wouldn't happily fire them through full chokes myself.
I agree with Andy on the full choke. I'd buy a cylinder or improved cylinder choke tube if it were me for slugs. Why don't you just shoot buckshot. At home defense distances it seems a better choice and a little less likely to penetrate into another room. You could use the improved modified tube.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:
AndyC wrote:You can, but try stay away from the full chokes. The ribs on Brenneke and Foster style slugs are designed to collapse when going through choke constrictions, but I wouldn't happily fire them through full chokes myself.
I agree with Andy on the full choke. I'd buy a cylinder or improved cylinder choke tube if it were me for slugs. Why don't you just shoot buckshot. At home defense distances it seems a better choice and a little less likely to penetrate into another room. You could use the improved modified tube.
:iagree: If you are going to use a slug, then why a shotgun rather than a rifle or pistol?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
B23Msports

Post by B23Msports »

Correct AndyC, I was looking to load it with some buckshot and be able to use slugs if needed. Now I am even considering a different barrel for the 870.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

What about acquiring a classic? Find a pre-owned Drilling or Cape Gun? Plenty of reach in the rifle barrel with the shot option just a trigger pull away!
Or, and I must say this is very exciting news, a new, yes New!, Holland & Holland Paradox Gun in 12 bore! H&H have reinvigorated the Paradox Gun by utilizing the latest metallurgy with traditional craftsmanship. They have also improved and updated their "Ball & Shot" ammunition to take advantage of the improvements in the new double. Rifled ball accuracy and Improved Cylinder patterning are the results!
https://www.hollandandholland.com/all-g ... x-hng7098/

http://www.classicshooting.com/products ... 1179491392
:biggrinjester:
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dadtodabone wrote:What about acquiring a classic? Find a pre-owned Drilling or Cape Gun? Plenty of reach in the rifle barrel with the shot option just a trigger pull away!
Or, and I must say this is very exciting news, a new, yes New!, Holland & Holland Paradox Gun in 12 bore! H&H have reinvigorated the Paradox Gun by utilizing the latest metallurgy with traditional craftsmanship. They have also improved and updated their "Ball & Shot" ammunition to take advantage of the improvements in the new double. Rifled ball accuracy and Improved Cylinder patterning are the results!

Elitist swine! :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:What about acquiring a classic? Find a pre-owned Drilling or Cape Gun? Plenty of reach in the rifle barrel with the shot option just a trigger pull away!

Elitist swine! :mrgreen:
Guilty as Charged!
I am, as always, reminded when facing the Elitist charge, of:
"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." C.S. Lewis
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”