Black Powder shooting advice

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Black Powder shooting advice

Post by parabelum »

Lots of great pointers, thanks a bunch!

Question on potential chain fire and grease. I understand that one way to prevent this is to use grease and rub it all over the cylinder ends. Is this effective and what grease would you recommend?

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

You also need o consider powder. Use only Black Powder (BP) or a good BP substitute. BP is burn rated if (f's). 1f is the coarsest powder, also referred to as corn, and is used in cannons. 2f is used in rifles and some pistols and small cannon. It burns faster than 1f. 3f is used in most revolvers and pistols, can also be used in some rifles. 4f is the finest powder and is used for priming flintlock(s). It can also be used in the smaller derringer type pistols.

Read what the manufacturers brochure recommends and go from there.

Don't forget your pillow ticking.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

TxLobo wrote:
parabelum wrote:Lots of great pointers, thanks a bunch!

Question on potential chain fire and grease. I understand that one way to prevent this is to use grease and rub it all over the cylinder ends. Is this effective and what grease would you recommend?
There are two schools of thought on this.. 1 is that the chain fire can actually be caused by the cap blast sparking a nearby nipple.. I generally pinch my caps to make them seat tightly on the nipples.
On the cylinder, I load Pyrodex, ball, (sometimes patch) a grease pellet or bore butter.
I've found that when I use the grease pellet, the revolver is easier to clean later..

My grease pellets are tallow and bees wax, soaked into felt.. (friend made them, I think that's all that he put in them )
Plain 'ol Crisco works just fine over the cylinder ends. I'v tried both ways, and prefer a wad between ball and powder. Cleans out the bore better too.

I also make my own wads from tallow/beeswax/paraffin.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

doncb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by doncb »

TxLobo wrote: "SNIP"
I have on occasion, broke down my '58 and put it in the dishwasher.. heated dry, wipe with an oil cloth afterward.. But it's a heck of a thing to explain to SWMBO how that black ring got inside the dishwasher..

(must have been a scorched pan)... yeah..
When I was building one of my rifles, I put the barrel in the oven to heat it to rust blue it. Boy did I get a look from my wife! :shock:
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Outstanding advice from all! :thumbs2:

I've spent some time now reading&researching everything.

Seems that I can get started with everything (revolver, balls, powder, pillow tickling, caps etc.) for under $500. May even get a Thompson muzzleloader if budget permits.

Side note,

Is this a reasonable price on colt navy '51 reproduction?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/587108041

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

TxLobo,

Thanks!

Is this (traditions) a decent reproduction of colt navy?

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

And Ruger Old Army looks nice, but dadgummit they are not cheap.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

So I ruled Ruger out. I just like the look of Colt better. Some say they are easier to disassemble.

How much would you pay for Colt 1860 8" signature series, pristine condition?

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

If you're going to collect them, the Colt is great. But if you want a 'shooter' then I'd look at Cabela's or Dixie Gun Works. If you want to get in cheap, you can get a brass framed pistol for not a lot of money. I wouldn't buy one used unless I could look it over in person first. Black powder makes old ComBlock ammo look clean by comparison. It's corrosive as all get out. If you go shoot and get back home, you HAVE TO clean it right away. And clean it thoroughly. Leave it a day or two and the salts in the black powder will eat into the barrel and lock works in no time. It makes battery acid seem like spring water. If the previous owner wasn't meticulous about cleaning, you could end up with a useless piece.

If you do get a brass framed revolver, keep in mind that you have to shoot lighter loads. That will be fine for plinking and range work. Loading it like it's a Walker replica will result in a warped frame. But they are good inexpensive range pistols to learn on.

Lot of BP talk on Gunslinger's Gulch. Though the folks on there tend to be rather.......salty.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I figured for the price of "signature" Colt (which is pretty much Uberti anyways), I could get two Piettas and have a tactical setup :biggrinjester:

As far as cleaning goes, I keep hearing / reading just good ol' soap and water, let it soak, dry it, lube it up (no oil, just bore lube...crisco...), and that's that, right?

What else would you recommend?

By the way, thank you all for educating me on this. We definitely have great folks on here, some even willing to sacrifice 40 minutes to talk on phone and help out ( thanks John!). :thumbs2:

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

I don't know if mentioned, but Buffalo Arms has a good selection. BP is a lot of fun.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”