ATI Shotguns & extractors vs. ejectors

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 15

ATI Shotguns & extractors vs. ejectors

Post by C-dub »

Good evening everyone.

Last weekend I took my daughter to our club and I introduced her to skeet shooting with her Grandpa's .410 shotgun. We mainly did the high and low house from the #1 and #7 spots. I wanted to make it as easy as possible starting off. It only took her 5 shots to break her first one. Soon after that she was breaking strings of 4-5 in a row. Before we got rained out she broke a few from the #6 spot.

I asked some of my friends at the club about over-unders that she might like and they suggested a 28ga. While it is an excellent choice for the similarity of its recoil to the .410 and similarity to the 20 or even 12 gauges breakability. However, 28 gauges themselves are not cheap and the ammo isn't either. So, I was thinking about a 20 gauge. I've thought about this before and came to the conclusion that due to her interest level and the somewhat considerable difference in the recoil between the .410 and a 20 gauge that she wouldn't like one. However, I'm reconsidering this after getting her on the skeet range and how much fun she had breaking some. And if worse comes to worse and she doesn't like the recoil, we still have the .410, and I still have my first O/U.

I visited a little shop nearby to see what they had and they have a nice little ATI 20 gauge O/U. It is light weight and easy to handle. I'm not sure which model, so I'm not sure if it has extractors or ejectors. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? What do ya'll think of them?

Also, what are ya'lls opinions of extractors vs. ejectors. I'm thinking that I'd lean towards extractors, but what do ya'll think? Or, if any of you have or have had daughters that used an O/U, what did they think when they first started?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ATI Shotguns & extractors vs. ejectors

Post by Jusme »

You didn't mention your daughter's age or size, but with low recoil loads, and the fact that 20 gauge loads are easier and cheaper to obtain, I would opt for that. Has your daughter fired a 20 gauge? She may be better able to handle the recoil than you think. My son's Boy Scout troop all got their shotgun merit badges, using 20 gauge and there were several 10 and 11 year olds who were very small in stature, and had no problem with the recoil.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dadtodabone »

The 20 is going to be much more economical. Borrow or rent a 20 and try some of the reduced recoil loads and see how she likes it.
Ejectors in the field, extractors for the range.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 1911 10MM »

If 20 gauge in an O/U is to much move to a semi auto as the recoil is less than an O/U. I would recommend a Semi auto 20 gauge for a beginner over a .410 single shot or O/U in .410 as recoil is less in the semi auto 20 gauge.

rotor

Post by rotor »

1911 10MM wrote:If 20 gauge in an O/U is to much move to a semi auto as the recoil is less than an O/U. I would recommend a Semi auto 20 gauge for a beginner over a .410 single shot or O/U in .410 as recoil is less in the semi auto 20 gauge.
I agree. I really like the Beretta A400 xcel, light and almost no kick and I believe they now have 20 gauge. Over/under is going to kick much more than an equivalent weight auto. Reduced loads are harder to find too. I load 7/8 oz loads when my wife wants really light. My wife normally shoots 1 0z 12 g Estate or Rio with her Browning 725 12 g, I shoot 1 1/8 oz 12 g Federal cheapy from WM in the Beretta and there is less perceived kick with the auto. Since you are looking at ATI though you are looking at the lower end of shotguns.

From your description though, your daughter is on the way to becoming a pro if she is doing that well on station 1 and 7 at skeet. Waiting for my 10 year old grandson to be big enough to do the same.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Thanks everyone.

She's a strong athletic 5'5" 14y. Until shooting Grandpa's .410 she had no interest in shooting a shotgun. When I convinced how easy it was she tried it. Then I put some clays on the berm for her to bust. She liked that even more. So, breaking some flying ones last weekend was really exciting for her. I know she can handle a 20ga and I'm hoping the excitement and fun factor overrides the recoil difference from the .410.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

We went by and checked it out today and it seems to fit her just fine and she really liked it and was as surprised as I was with the lightness of its weight. I also think this model has the ejectors. I forgot to ask specifically, but I did see that it is an SVE model and when checking out the ATI website that means it has ejectors, not extractors.

Now, I have another question, but the original question still remains. The new question is about the trigger selector. The website says it is singe selective. What exactly does that mean? I assume that whichever barrel is selected is the one that will be fired first, but does it have to be switched to fire the second barrel?

The main original question has to do with anyone having any experience with this brand. So far, no one has claimed to know anything about ATI (American Tactical Import) shotguns.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote:
C-dub wrote:The new question is about the trigger selector. The website says it is singe selective. What exactly does that mean? I assume that whichever barrel is selected is the one that will be fired first, but does it have to be switched to fire the second barrel?
"Single selective" means that it's a single trigger - and that the first barrel to be fired can be selected. It doesn't have to switched to fire the second barrel, nope - just pull the trigger a second time.

ATI are just the importers, so who actually makes that specific model I couldn't say - and that always gives me a bad vibe that they're not up-front about it. Give them a call at 800-290-0065 and ask, but my money is on a Turkish manufacturer.
This one is only $545, so I'm not expecting the same kind of quality as my Benelli. That's good to hear about the selective trigger. I think I'll get this for her.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 10

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote:I see Cabela's has a Black Friday sale on CZ-USA O/U 12 and 20-ga shotguns....

C-Dub,That's a good deal that Andy posted. The Teal is not listed in the CZ catalog because it's a Cabela's exclusive. It's the CZ- Redhead Premier with a black chrome receiver instead of silver. Bud's has the Redhead Premier listed at $816 and CZ's MSRP is $959.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 10

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:
AndyC wrote:
C-dub wrote:The new question is about the trigger selector. The website says it is singe selective. What exactly does that mean? I assume that whichever barrel is selected is the one that will be fired first, but does it have to be switched to fire the second barrel?
"Single selective" means that it's a single trigger - and that the first barrel to be fired can be selected. It doesn't have to switched to fire the second barrel, nope - just pull the trigger a second time.

ATI are just the importers, so who actually makes that specific model I couldn't say - and that always gives me a bad vibe that they're not up-front about it. Give them a call at 800-290-0065 and ask, but my money is on a Turkish manufacturer.
This one is only $545, so I'm not expecting the same kind of quality as my Benelli. That's good to hear about the selective trigger. I think I'll get this for her.
I believe the ATI O/U's are made by Kofs, Ltd. (Turkish) and they make an extractor model and an ejector model with the ejector model ATI Calvary O/U SVE listing (MSRP) for 50 bucks more at $559 than the extractor model.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

My wife just bought a CZ Drake in 12 ga and it is an excellent shotgun. We cut the stock off 3/4" and installed a limbsaver pad on it for her. Really nice o/u to shoot with extractors and comes with 5 chokes. The price is really nice. Here is the website with specs on it in a 20 ga. http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”