Honest using rifle/ truck rifle ?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 9

Honest using rifle/ truck rifle ?

Post by Lena »

Just wondering what some others use, I live rural and out with livestock daily.
I never know if it is going to be shot today once one several times,
My #1 choice is a Remington 788, I have several 243=6mm=7/08 all scoped, I have carried AR's, M1 carbines and Marlin 22 lever action 39A or 22 mag bolt action.

A big factor and 1 reason for the 788's is the magazine removal for easy unloading, for me a must have especially when coming in the house, tube fed are not good, also instant loading if coyotes are seen out the windows, I have shot more from my patio table than hunting them.

30 carbine or 556 brass is a nightmare sometimes to get out of truck defroster vents, 22 rf just disappears. Again another reason my love for the 788's. They fit my need almost perfect. rarely do I ever see another or hear them mentioned. At $79 to $89 they could not be beat! My 6mm box still has the Gibson's Disc tag on it.
I know of 1 other person who daily carries a 788 either in 222=556=22/250, I have never seen anyone carry a 44mag or 30-30 788 in years.
Stay Safe

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Honest using rifle/ truck rifle ?

Post by parabelum »

I like my Mosin M44. It's ugly and has a pretty stout round, plus a folding bayonet for zombies :mrgreen: . If all else fails, it's sturdy enough to be used as a bat or a hammer...plus, I only paid $250 for it.

Not to say that my AR pistol is left at home a lot, but my m44 is a permanent truck gun.

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

We really have to watch the 30 cal due to power and around livestock and neighbors, my 243 788 is usually loaded with 70 gr Speer TnT's which work great for about everything, same for 6mm, my 7-08 rarely goes except in deer season, when I got the 788 in 7-08 the seller told me "If you look at it 1st you will not buy it" so shoot it a week or so 1st then pay me, 1st 3 shots in 1 hole ! at 100 yds, it is unreal accurate and looks like it has been in 2 wars, no finish left anywhere. the negative to the 788's are finding magazines easily affordable, glad I have them, I remember when some 30-30 & 44 mag magazines were almost as expensive as the rifles, the 6mm would be next on hard to find easy affordable.
Stay Safe

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

SKS with after-market fiberglass stock and iron sights permanently rides in the rack on the UTV. Paid less than $100 for the rifle and about $39 for the stock about 10-12 years ago. Just have to remember to periodically clean it and buff the rusty spots every once in awhile. Ammo is cheap and caliber is sufficient for larger feral hogs. Mag capacity is more than sufficient and aftermarket magazine will unload all rounds in a flash.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

Altho I think satire and parody are fair use, it's arguable about whether it has to be aimed at the original work or something else.

If this make no sense to you, don't worry about it. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I use my Ar in 223 as my truck/utility/daily rifle. It works for me and I don't keep loose rounds rolling around. I have one mag in the gun (empty chamber) and 4 more on the outside of its case. I like 223 for a good all around caliber. In Texas you can take care of anything with that round that you need to. I do like 243 tho. If they made an Ar in 243 I'd switch to that prob. 243 has always been my favorite rifle round

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For now, mine is a Ruger Gunsite Scout, topped with a Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST. However, on Friday (tomorrow), I pick up my new Marlin 336BL .30-30. We'll see. I love the Ruger, but for a simple but effective truck gun, the Marlin may take its place. Or not. But choice is a good thing, isn't it? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

EODgunner

Post by EODgunner »

The M44 sounds like a good option to me. I really think you have to justify how much money you are comfortable with throwing out vs how far of a shot you will commonly have to take. If funds were limitless my truck gun would be a Barret 50bmg, but instead it's a marlin 30-30. Hahaha

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote:I like my Mosin M44. It's ugly and has a pretty stout round, plus a folding bayonet for zombies :mrgreen: . If all else fails, it's sturdy enough to be used as a bat or a hammer...plus, I only paid $250 for it.

Not to say that my AR pistol is left at home a lot, but my m44 is a permanent truck gun.
EODgunner wrote:The M44 sounds like a good option to me. I really think you have to justify how much money you are comfortable with throwing out vs how far of a shot you will commonly have to take. If funds were limitless my truck gun would be a Barret 50bmg, but instead it's a marlin 30-30. Hahaha
Yeah, but parabellum got hosed. My Mosin was only $175, and it's even longer and has more wood on it, for use as a pole-vault when crossing streams, or setting fire to my neighbor's hedges. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

Outside of my 788 I really liked the M1 carbine other than the brass ejection in the cab and rather have the bolt action and magazine of the 788's so easy to unload. I did carry my Rock river or Colt AR for awhile and they did great but always go back to the old 788. My cousin in west Texas carries a $69 SKS which has been cleaned 1 time in many years and suits him well, when we both bought them ammo could be bought for .03 a round and we got a lifetime supply each.
Use what ever you feel right to do so.

When I moved back here I wanted a 22 mag but my criteria was this:
Bolt action
magazine fed not tubular
synthetic stock as I would be too careful with wood, I do like wood better
scoped and iron sights also with scope removed and bases intact
Weaver mounts, easy on and off
Leupold Vari X 3 2.5 x 8 duplex
Look at it as a tool only
It is perfect and still have it. A synthethic stock Marlin was what I got, perfect for me.]I will be going out today feeding cows here and todays armament probably be the 788 -243 and my new S&W Shield in 45 acp, the 45 will get shot at something to wear the new off it.
Stay Safe

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

Getting ready to head out for the pm cow check and check gates, S&W 45 Shield , flashlight 1200 lumens, Marlin 22 mag due to light rain. It usually is so peaceful at night doing this, me and my German Shepherd Mica.
Mica.jpg
Stay Safe

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I know two guys who carry a Mini 14, one who carries a M1, and two who carry what ever they decide to grab that day.

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

WTR same here, then usually grab the regular ones, lately my 2-1/2" S&W66 has been wanting to get out some, I guess it needs an outing or 2 soon. The only firearm I even owned with my name engraved on it, a gift from officers. When I got it they were almost impossible for non LE to get.
My rifle remained silent today. Tomorrow is another day.
Stay Safe

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mxrdad »

Lena wrote:Getting ready to head out for the pm cow check and check gates, S&W 45 Shield , flashlight 1200 lumens, Marlin 22 mag due to light rain. It usually is so peaceful at night doing this, me and my German Shepherd Mica.
Mica.jpg
Thats awesome. Isnt it amazing how a dog can make that task so much better? I really enjoy getting my "City Dogs" in the country at our fish camp. I couldnt imagine a walk without them there. Nice looking buddy you have there.

Mines an old Mossberg 12 ga SB pistol grip that shows signs of daily wear and tear. Not a rifle but sill.... Wait, is a shotgun a rifle?
Just some guy's opinion.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My Truck gun is a JRC carbine .45, TruGlo optical sight, one 13rd mag in it, two 27rd mags in the case, all loaded with 185gr hydrashok +p
Got this and started carrying it when certain segments of the population lost their minds and decided to riot!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”