Honest using rifle/ truck rifle ?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Honest using rifle/ truck rifle ?

Post by bblhd672 »

I never thought I'd say this but sadly, I don't own a truck. And "backseat rifle" just don't have the same ring to it!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I think truck guns, like most things are going to vary for each person, depending on their particular circumstance. I often times, carry my Mossberg 500 12 gauge with an 18.5 inch barrel, and a bandoleer with an additional 50 rounds of a combination #1,00 buck, and slugs. I don't have a ranch, or any large portions of land that I drive around on a regular basis, so most of the "animals", I may encounter will more than likely be of the two legged variety, and my shotgun will only come into play if I am somehow unable to keep driving.
If I were going to be traversing large portions of land, I would probably opt for my AR, for things like coyotes, wild hogs etc.
I agree, there is probably no perfect single firearm, that will suffice in all circumstances, or for all possible scenarios. Everyone will have to determine what works for them in the conditions they expect, to find themselves. To be fully prepared for everything would probably require a full arsenal in your truck.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

My wife and I both work about 20 miles from home...in opposite directions. We live out in the country but only have 4 acres of our own. She works in the big city while I work in a smaller community. We chose to equip our vehicles with 300 BO AR pistols. This allows her to keep the pistol in her car at school under her LTC. I will probably go the SBR route eventually but find the pistol, with the sling and cheek weld, is plenty stable for 100 +/- yard coyotes I may cross tracks with on the way home. We also went with the BO so we can suppress them if we want to. I tend to think of the 300 BO as the 30-30 of the AR world.

I was originally going to set her up a 16" carbine in 5.56 but she couldn't have it in her vehicle at school so the AR pistol it was. The 300 BO produces less muzzle flash and concussion as the loads are designed to completely burn in a 9ish" barrel. With the KAK Flashcan I mostly get no flash with only an occasional small blossom of flame, more of a faint glow. I have a friend with a 5.56 7.5" barrel and it is pretty harsh with generally a large fireball. Pretty cool but not what I wanted for a get-home-gun.

Hopefully the Hearing Protection Act will go through and I can put on a suppressor and shoot subsonic. Otherwise I'll just keep saving my pennies for the tax.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

mr surveyor wrote:Country boys carry lever guns. ;-)

jd
:iagree: Hard to beat my old '94.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

We keep a 1200 Whinny in 12 gauge and a 94 in 30\30 behind the truck seat on the Farm. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Or, you can just keep one of these adjustable stocks that slips into the bottom of the Glock17 grip, add a foregrip onto the front rail, and have a pistol caliber "carbine"...of sorts...without having to carry / secure a long gun...

Well, besides the part where you need to register it as an SBR, don't do the part I bolded. The Glock accessory rail is designed for lights and lasers. It's not designed for foregrips. Watch this guy shoot himself when the rail/dustcover on the Glock he's shooting breaks.

Having personally shot a couple different machine pistols, I'll say that while a foregrip may look cool, it's actually more awkward than just using two hands on the pistol grip like shooting a normal pistol.

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Lena »

I had a friend LE that got to bring a G18 to the range and we all shot it, right on shooting it with 2 hand grip normally, it was fun but useless to me.
Stay Safe

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Old Marlin 60! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I don’t have any land to tend to so I don’t have the same needs as the OP. That being said, my 300AAC Blackout AR makes a great truck gun. It’s compact, has a .30 caliber projectile, I can load to subsonic velocity if needed, it has 30 round magazines and with just iron sights and a red dot I can easily hit targets out to 100 yards even with my poor eyesight. I used to carry a Mosin but they are too darn long. When I drove a Grand Marquis the Mosinworkee well mounted on the trunk lid. I could easily access it yet it was fairly well hidden.

earlwb

Post by earlwb »

When I was young and working on some farms and ranches at the time, I used a little 6.5 Carcano carbine and a 12 gauge bolt action shotgun as my truck guns. That was way back before the Ruger mini- came out. Heck we used to go to high school with the guns on the rear window rack in our pickup trucks too.

Crash

Post by Crash »

I don't normally carry a rifle in my truck; most of the time it's a revolver. I know that limits capacity, but I hate the thought of brass being flung around the cockpit, sum bouncin' off the windshield and bouncin' back into my face, goin' down behind my glasses, or down the front of my shirt. For that reason I rarely carry a semi-auto weapon in my truck. However, with a couple of six-shot revolvers I believe I could have a good chance of calmin' the situation down.

Crash

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I don't live in the sticks like I used to (unfortunately) so my car gun of choice is a 10.5" AR pistol in 5.56. Small enough to easily broken down into my emergency bag so it won't be left in the car if I have to abandon it, but still a long enough barrel (barely) to be effective for self defense.

It's also small enough to easily maneuver within the vehicle as well, and has a 2.5x optic that can be used as a red dot or to reach out to 200+ yards.

I'm working on a new, much smaller .300BLK PDW that should handle the same duties, however. If it works well I might build a second for the car.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

Most of the time I have my little Rossie 357 Magnum Lever rifle with a 16" barrel riding with me! I love that little gun.
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Lena »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
warpdrive wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:But for someone who has just a few acres, say 10 or so, an M1 carbine is still an ideal gun. You don't have to worry as much about terminal ballistics outside of your property lines, and the gun is light and handy enough to walk around with it, without feeling like you're hauling around a big chunk of rifle. And the cartridge is certainly up to anything you're going to have to deal with inside the confined spaces of a small property and its outbuildings.
Have you ever seen a bull jump a fence?
No, but I've been chased out of a pen by a Santa Gertrudis bull. I was inside the pipe stall, and then I was outside of it. I don't believe that I touched metal with any part of my body, and the bull never harmed a hair on my head. Near as I can tell, I instantly beamed myself from one spot to the other. On that day, that was my superpower.

You're right, a .30 carbine is insufficient medicine for a bull that jumped the fence. But in that case, an AR15 probably isn't enough, and a .30-30 or AK might not be enough either. I once hunted a friend's lease, and hiked my way to the blind while it was still dark out. The neighbor ranch's nilgai water buffalos had a habit of knocking down the fence and wandering onto the lease. I was carrying a .308, and my friend told me before I departed to climb a tree if I ran across any nilgai and had any trouble, because the .308 wasn't going to be enough rifle.

So, what are you going to carry for a truck gun then......a Barret .50?
I just saw this and will share on it, I have actually encountered a water buffalo and had a M16 with a 20 round magazine for sure 20 did not do much but get his attention, however 70-80 rounds from an M60 did the trick very well.
Stay Safe

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Lena wrote:....however 70-80 rounds from an M60 did the trick very well.
Unfortunately, the .308 I was carrying at the time was a Remington 700 with a 4 round magazine, and a rate of fire considerably slower than an M60! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”