Marlin 336BL Initial Review

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 13

Marlin 336BL Initial Review

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on a new lever action rifle today - a Marlin 336BL. This is my first lever gun. Here is Marlin's description from their website:
Marlin 336BL
Marlin 336BL
So, here are my initial impressions with some pictures, not yet having had a chance to get it to the range yet. (Pictures at the bottom....)

This rifle appears to be a recently manufactured one. It does not have a "JM" on the barrel that I can see, and it has both a Remington Serial number AND (first time I've seen one like this) a QR code etched into the receiver, as well as a couple of barrel marks about which I am still ignorant.

Quality / Price:
  • The most critical complaint against earlier "Remlins" was that many of them were delivered with the barrel improperly clocked relative to the receiver, such that the front sight would be properly aligned with the receiver, but the rear sight would be cocked off to the right a little bit, causing points of impact well to the right of point of aim. It was often not noticeable at first, and it was the point of impact shift that brought the owner's attention to the rear sight issue. Mine does not appear to suffer from that problem as the front and rear sights are both inline with the receiver. However, there are other, smaller misalignments. They don't affect the performance of the rifle, but they do speak to Remington's still not having gotten 100% behind quality control ever since their acquisition by the Freedom Group. On my particular rifle, the magazine tube is very slightly out of line with the barrel above it, and the wedge (if that's what it is called) that separates the barrel from the tube near the muzzle is slightly off-center under the barrel. Again, it's not one of those things that jumps right out at you from a few feet away, but it is apparent on close inspection. I have a picture of the offset below.

On the other hand, we are also talking about a rifle that costs much less than many bolt actions, indeed less than some other makers' lever actions. MSRP for this model is, near as I can tell, $589.95. I paid $504 for mine from Sporting Arms in Lewisville.....which is a bit more than some of Marlin's more common models. For instance, Academy offers both the 336W (20" barrel) and the 336 Compact (16" barrel) for $399.99. The 336BL (18" barrel) appears to be a less common model, and therefore more expensive.
Mechanical Operation:
  • Mechanically, the 336BL works smoothly, although there are things which seem to be happening internally as the lever is being actuated which make the effort required greater or lower at various points along its arc. But none of these various points of resistance are particularly difficult to overcome, and rapidly manipulating the lever proceeds without any significant hangup. I imagine that it will become even smoother as it breaks in. Loading is accomplished by inserting rounds through the loading gate in the side of the receiver, and into the magazine tube. The tube will hold up to 6 rounds, plus the one in the chamber. I haven't loaded it yet, but others have reported that the last round is quite difficult to get into the magazine, and can even require use of some kind of a tool to push against the cartridge rim, since it is difficult to push hard enough with one's finger/thumb. Apparently, rounds cannot be fed into the loading gate at all unless the cocking lever is pulled all the way home.
Trigger and Hammer:
  • The trigger is heavy for a rifle......averaging 6 lb 8 oz out of 4 attempts as measured on my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge.....but it breaks cleanly, with no creep and a very small amount of overtravel. It is worth saying that my results are quite a bit lighter than what others have reported in other reviews of this particular model. In the last review I read, the reviewer said his rifle's trigger measured 10 lbs, also on a Lyman gauge; so either Remington made an improvement, or I got a lucky one.

The hammer has two positions, at half-cock, and full-cock. The safety is a simple cross bolt type, that when engaged prevents the hammer from falling past the half-cock. The safety can be engaged at half-cock or full-cock, but cannot be engaged when the hammer is all the way forward. I don't know if it is intentional or not, although I suspect that it is, but the trigger cannot be pulled if the cocking lever isn't pulled all the way back into the stock.
Sights:
  • The sights seem to be well-made, but they are not my favorite. There's probably nothing wrong with them, but my eyes are not up to the task. The rear buckhorn sight has a folding leaf with a rather small u-shaped notch, and a notched elevator ramp to set elevation. The rear sight assembly is dovetailed into the top of the barrel, and windage adjustments are achieved by moving the assembly right or left in the dovetail, with a mallet and brass punch.

The front sight is a shiny brass-colored bead on top of a thin blade, which is dovetailed into a mount which is threaded into the top of the barrel at the muzzle end. The bead fits tightly into the notch on the rear folding leaf, which makes the front sight bead very difficult for me to see if the bead is in deep shadow and looks dark. The rifle comes with an optional front sight hood that is relatively easily put on, but a little more ornery to remove. I have two complaints about the barrel hood: (1) it has an odd shape, almost flat across the top instead of arched, and so there is not a ton of light between the top of the side blade and underside of the hood, which makes for a smaller than desirable sight picture beneath the hood; and (2) it prevents too much light from reaching the front sight, making the brass bead appear black and indistinct in the rear sight notch. In all fairness, that is my impression indoors after dark. Perhaps in full daylight, it might be easier to see the brass bead, and the hood might be more useful......even though that portion of the target visible under the hood will still be attenuated because of the oddly shaped hood.

All of that said, I have intended all along to replace the rear sight with a XS Sight Systems rail and rear peep sight, which will extend the sight radius, and then mount a scout scope I own onto the rail, so the iron sights will become strictly for backup should the scope fail or break. I may replace the front sight blade with one with either a white ramp or a white dot with a tritium lamp in the center.
Appearance:
  • The bluing is evenly applied on all metal surfaces except the bolt, which is in the white, with what look like blued "flutes" along part of its length. The cross bolt safety is painted red on the left side of the receiver, which when protruding, indicates that the weapon is hot. The stock is of laminated wood. It is actually a darker, richer brown in person than it looks like on the Marlin website, and it is quite handsome. The rubber buttpad is well fitted to the buttstock. There are very small gaps and or "irregularities" where the wood furniture mates to the receiver and barrel. They are not so obvious as to spoil the overall appearance of the rifle, but they are there if you look for them. The cut checkering is even, but not particularly sharp, although the pattern is very pleasing to the eye. There is a black cap on the bottom of the pistol grip, held in place by a brass-colored screw, which also gives a pleasant aspect to the stock. There is a blued barrel band that retains the forearm, and two rifle sling studs, one on the barrel band, and one on the buttstock. There was a fly in the ointment, as my particular rifle came with a small but noticeable blemish in the wood's finish on the left side of the buttstock. It looks as though that will be easily remedied with a furniture touch up pencil or brown crayon or something similar.

Overall, it is a very nice looking gun, not quite a carbine length, but not quite a full rifle length either. It weighs 7.5 lbs unloaded out of the box, and it looks "handy". Indeed, it is.
Here are the pictures:

The rifle, as it comes out of the box:

Here are the barrel markings, aside from the model/caliber information:

The laser etched serial number and QR code:

Details of stock fit / finish:

The flaw in the finish:

Rear Sight:

Front Sight:

Crooked alignment of magazine tube to barrel:

I've never had the opportunity to closely examine a Marlin 336 from Marlin's heyday, so I don't know if these little irregularities are common to the brand or not. They don't bother me that much, but a fair reviewer won't overlook them.

I also purchased 4 different boxes of .30-30 ammunition at my local Academy on my way home, and in the next few days I am going to test the rifle for accuracy, and chronograph the loads for ballistic calculation purposes. I will add my results to this thread when I have them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Marlin 336BL Initial Review

Post by puma guy »

Nice looking rifle. Great review and photos. The quality is an improvement over some I've seen and read about. Your has minor isssues. The wood to metal finish actually looks pretty good compared to Remington's earlier efforts, though still not up to the previous Marlin standards. Mechanically it will smooth out over time. I can't make out the second letter on the left side of the barrel. I looks like a "W". I don't know if Remington is following their date code system on Marlins or not, but if so "AW" would mean March of 2002. If it's a new out of the box gun it doesn't make sense it would have been around since then. I don't know if the BL was even made in 2002. Maybe it's an "M" 2015. Here's Remington's code system. Looking forward to you range review.

A word of warning..........I predict there will be another lever gun in your future. :lol:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20A ... _code.html
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:Nice looking rifle. Great review and photos. The quality is an improvement over some I've seen and read about. Your has minor isssues. The wood to metal finish actually looks pretty good compared to Remington's earlier efforts, though still not up to the previous Marlin standards. Mechanically it will smooth out over time. I can't make out the second letter on the left side of the barrel. I looks like a "W". I don't know if Remington is following their date code system on Marlins or not, but if so "AW" would mean March of 2002. If it's a new out of the box gun it doesn't make sense it would have been around since then. I don't know if the BL was even made in 2002. Maybe it's an "M" 2015. Here's Remington's code system. Looking forward to you range review.

A word of warning..........I predict there will be another lever gun in your future. :lol:

I sent an email to Remington tonight with the serial number, asking them if they could give me the date of manufacture.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Good review TAM. :tiphat:
I hope that you indeed do have a great rifle, if the only issues,are cosmetic, it will be great. Looking forward to range reports and more pics as you install your own touches. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by couzin »

Not to knock the rifle TAM - but the current remlins are not getting good grades. Marlin may have "jumped the shark". I will stick with the old JM marked rifles until they are just gone like the dinosaur...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

couzin wrote:Not to knock the rifle TAM - but the current remlins are not getting good grades. Marlin may have "jumped the shark". I will stick with the old JM marked rifles until they are just gone like the dinosaur...
Yeah, I know about the reputation. But Remington acquired Marlin in 2007. I took a chance that in the almost 10 years since then, Remington would have finally gotten their act together. I know that the cosmetic touches are not as nice as the old Marlins, but I can live with that. This is intended to be a knock-about gun, so it's going to get dinged up over time anyway. I just want the sights to line up (they do), the action to function smoothly (it seems to), and the rifle to shoot well (we'll see in the next few days). If it shoots OK and doesn't break, then I'm satisfied. Heck, if I like it enough, I might even fall to the temptation that puma guy spoke of, and buy myself another one, but an original Marlin.....or maybe even a Winchester or a Henry.

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:Nice looking rifle. Great review and photos. The quality is an improvement over some I've seen and read about. Your has minor isssues. The wood to metal finish actually looks pretty good compared to Remington's earlier efforts, though still not up to the previous Marlin standards. Mechanically it will smooth out over time. I can't make out the second letter on the left side of the barrel. I looks like a "W". I don't know if Remington is following their date code system on Marlins or not, but if so "AW" would mean March of 2002. If it's a new out of the box gun it doesn't make sense it would have been around since then. I don't know if the BL was even made in 2002. Maybe it's an "M" 2015. Here's Remington's code system. Looking forward to you range review.

I sent an email to Remington tonight with the serial number, asking them if they could give me the date of manufacture.
I just heard back from Remington. No month given, but they say that according to my serial#, it was manufactured in 2016.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I just heard back from Remington. No month given, but they say that according to my serial#, it was manufactured in 2016.
It must be March 2016 "A" BLACKPOWDER for the month and "N" for 2016. Remington marks the barrels with the date codes which becomes confusing with shotguns when barrels are interchanged. They also use codes on the barrels if the gun is returned for work or modifications. So I have to ask - are you looking for another lever Marlin yet? There are so many to choose from. :lol:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:So I have to ask - are you looking for another lever Marlin yet? There are so many to choose from. :lol:
Not yet, but almost certainly again some time in the future. I still have to get this one to the range.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:So I have to ask - are you looking for another lever Marlin yet? There are so many to choose from. :lol:
Not yet, but almost certainly again some time in the future. I still have to get this one to the range.
I have 444Sthat I can never remember to dig out and take to the range, but that hasn't stopped me. :biggrinjester:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I have wanted a lever action for quite a while, and Marlin was at the top of my list. I read all of the QC issues, that Marlin was having, just before the sale to Remington, as well as the issues experienced after the acquisition. Most of the blame, placed by Remington, was the poor condition of the machining equipment, the loss of personnel who had made the guns for years without proper shop drawings etc. However, after nearly 10 years, they should have had ample opportunity, to reverse engineer the guns enough to make proper shop drawings, train personnel, improve the machining equipment etc. that they should be able to produce top quality guns. I just feel like Remington is still looking at the Marlin line, as a sideline and have not dedicated their full resources to the product. In their defense, the bad publicity they have received has probably diminished sales of these type of guns, not to mention that it is still a niche market. I think if they would put more emphasis on their Marlin rifles, they could lead the way. Marlin out performed Winchester in the lever action market for many years, and only after their decline did Henry, move up the ladder. While a lot of the rifles have improved in overall functionality, I still think that they suffer in the cosmetic department. I understand that it takes a while to overcome all of the bad reviews out there, but I believe, if they would just put a little more effort forward, even at the cost of profit margin, they could eventually begin to push back to the top. JMHO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote:I have wanted a lever action for quite a while, and Marlin was at the top of my list. I read all of the QC issues, that Marlin was having, just before the sale to Remington, as well as the issues experienced after the acquisition. Most of the blame, placed by Remington, was the poor condition of the machining equipment, the loss of personnel who had made the guns for years without proper shop drawings etc. However, after nearly 10 years, they should have had ample opportunity, to reverse engineer the guns enough to make proper shop drawings, train personnel, improve the machining equipment etc. that they should be able to produce top quality guns. I just feel like Remington is still looking at the Marlin line, as a sideline and have not dedicated their full resources to the product. In their defense, the bad publicity they have received has probably diminished sales of these type of guns, not to mention that it is still a niche market. I think if they would put more emphasis on their Marlin rifles, they could lead the way. Marlin out performed Winchester in the lever action market for many years, and only after their decline did Henry, move up the ladder. While a lot of the rifles have improved in overall functionality, I still think that they suffer in the cosmetic department. I understand that it takes a while to overcome all of the bad reviews out there, but I believe, if they would just put a little more effort forward, even at the cost of profit margin, they could eventually begin to push back to the top. JMHO.
A lot has been written and opinions are numerous about Remington's quality issues. I have read some of the same things you posted about Remington placing blame on Marlin's machinery, lack of drawings, fitment guides etc. Former employees and some that made the transition refute most all of that. According to them Marlin's North Haven factory machinery was well maintained, repaired and kept up to date. If it was not fit it was removed. Drawings were always available including in CAD, fitment guides as well. There were some necessary adjustment and fitting needed for triggers and carriers on the 336. Some of the machinery was mishandled in moving and set up. The riggers dropped the 20,000lb piece of equipment that machined the forged receivers. To be fair Remington employees had a whole new bag of worms to deal with and could not maintain or keep machines adjusted. But the guns coming out of Marlin's North Haven were worthy of the Marlin name. The blame game started soon after the move and many ex-employees and some current employees spoke up on Marlin Forums to quell the rumors. As you said Remington has had plenty of time to work out those issues regardless of whose fault it was, yet some of the quality issues still remain.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

I finally got my 335BL to the range today. The place was packed, and I was pretty much limited to the 25 yard line.

The rifle functioned flawlessly, although, being left handed, I struggled a little bit with getting the hang of loading rounds through the loading gate. But other than that, it ran with no problems.

Sights: the factory iron sights suck. Of course, I was shooting in shade, so the front sight bead didn't put off any shine to make it stand out, but even so, sights are tiny and hard to see. Did I mention that I don't like buckhorn rear sights? Well I don't; and I'm going to order a rear peep sight if it kills me, and swap out the front sight blade for something more visible. I'm also going to mount that scout scope I have in reserve. Anyway, I did not do my best shooting today, but, I did get an impression of what to expect with better sights. I fired 3 shot strings for each load

Here are the cartridges I used and chronographed:
  • Federal Fusion 150 Grain SP @ 2,404 fps
  • Hornady 150 Gr American Whitetail RNSP @ 2,372 fps
  • Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain FTX @ 2,360 fps
  • Remington Core-Lokt 170 grain SP @ 2,159 fps
Of those, the Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain FTX was far and away the most accurate, placing 2 of the 3 rounds into one hole, with the 3rd being a "flyer" (most likely due to my struggling with the sights).

I can't wait to get the scope mounted and get back out there. It's a fun gun to shoot. The recoil is not at all stiff, and the simplicity of the action was interesting.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I finally got my 335BL to the range today. The place was packed, and I was pretty much limited to the 25 yard line.

The rifle functioned flawlessly, although, being left handed, I struggled a little bit with getting the hang of loading rounds through the loading gate. But other than that, it ran with no problems.

Sights: the factory iron sights suck. Of course, I was shooting in shade, so the front sight bead didn't put off any shine to make it stand out, but even so, sights are tiny and hard to see. Did I mention that I don't like buckhorn rear sights? Well I don't; and I'm going to order a rear peep sight if it kills me, and swap out the front sight blade for something more visible. I'm also going to mount that scout scope I have in reserve. Anyway, I did not do my best shooting today, but, I did get an impression of what to expect with better sights. I fired 3 shot strings for each load

Here are the cartridges I used and chronographed:
  • Federal Fusion 150 Grain SP @ 2,404 fps
  • Hornady 150 Gr American Whitetail RNSP @ 2,372 fps
  • Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain FTX @ 2,360 fps
  • Remington Core-Lokt 170 grain SP @ 2,159 fps
Of those, the Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain FTX was far and away the most accurate, placing 2 of the 3 rounds into one hole, with the 3rd being a "flyer" (most likely due to my struggling with the sights).

I can't wait to get the scope mounted and get back out there. It's a fun gun to shoot. The recoil is not at all stiff, and the simplicity of the action was interesting.
Thanks for the initial range review. Looking forward to your next one. BTW, Did you remove the front sight hood? That helps a little. Being that your a lefty here's a little story about my older brother, also a lefty, shooting my Marlin 39 Mountie .22 lever action. He complained to me that the gun wouldn't fire after the first shot. (I had chambered a round, let the hammer down and handed it to him and went to shoot at another spot.) He handed the rifle to me and it functioned fine. I filled the tube mag and gave it back to him with a round chambered, hammer down. He pulled the hammer back, shot the first round and then levered it to shoot again. I noticed he was turning the rifle on it's side to lever it and that's when I saw the problem. The round fell off the lifter and out the ejection port before he pulled back on the lever. There was a little pile of .22 cartridges where he'd been shooting before. I told him to keep the action vertical when he racked it and it did fine. I don't know if a 336 would do the same thing or not, but something to keep in mind.
I've never tried the Hornady Leverevolution in 30-30, but I'm definitely going to try some. Thanks again for the report and Happy New Year.

(did you get my PM regarding Marlin?)

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”