721 & 722 Shooters?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 4

721 & 722 Shooters?

Post by Lena »

Any Remington 721 or 722 shooters here? calibers? Rarely see any anymore, where have they all gone.
Stay Safe

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 721 & 722 Shooters?

Post by puma guy »

Lena wrote:Any Remington 721 or 722 shooters here? calibers? Rarely see any anymore, where have they all gone.
I hunted with a borrowed 721 in .270 Win for a couple of years. It was very accurate, but the trigger was far too light for my liking. I mentioned it to the owner. I closed the bolt a lttle too quickly and it went off. I always follow safety rules so no harm done, but the owner had the trigger worked over by KDF (formerly Kliengunther) and it's fine now. The owner had KDF custom load ammunition for it as well. It is a very nice rifle and appears to be a deluxe version, though it's quite old. It is currently in my possession as the owner moved to Ecuador and I'm keeping it in the event he returns to hunt. It has a very nice vintage Bausch and Lomb 4-12 Elite scope with an even older B&L Balvar mount system. You reminded me I had this rifle. LOL. It hasn't been out of the safe in 3 years. I need to take it to the range. I assume you have a 721/22?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

722 here in 244 Rem (6mm) just the 244 marked ones had slower twist for lighter bullets If memory is correct.
Stay Safe

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For the uninitiated, the only Remington bolt action I've ever owned or fired are 700s. Can someone explain to me what are the practical and/or mechanical differences between the 700 on one hand, and the 721/722/788 on the other hand?

Thanks.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

doncom

Post by doncom »

I have a 722 in .243 that I inherited from my grandfather. There's no telling how many deer that think has killed, as well as at least one pickup load of coyotes.

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

The Annoyed Man wrote:For the uninitiated, the only Remington bolt action I've ever owned or fired are 700s. Can someone explain to me what are the practical and/or mechanical differences between the 700 on one hand, and the 721/722/788 on the other hand?

Thanks.
21 and 22's long and short actions different safety never saw one with a detachable release floor plate all I ever saw had no checkering of any kind plain wood fair triggers pre 700's most had a great feel of a real solid rifle and shot good kink of like a cheaper ADL 700

788, real cheap plain stocks very some had extractor failures all mag fed from bottom, bolt had 9 locking lugs, few aftermarket parts, carbine only in 7/08 & 308 short barrel real short ! light weight, trigger no adjustment and not too good, cost usually $69-$99 new, shot so well that they hurt the introduction of the 700's with price factored in, shortly there after dropped, mags hard to find, all 5 I have had were honest 1/2 minute rifles still have 3, just a cheap rifle in every way that shot very well, 9 locking lugs on rear of bolt free float bolt face, some early benchrest rifles were made from them very strong action, round and was sleeved. non detachable sling swivels, had iron sights, my 7/08 looks like it was used in all world wars and still 1/2 minute. They had a cult type following. Some had to pull trigger to release bolt, others push safety forward some both. They has 2 types of safeties. There have been several articles backing up the claim about the discontinues due to price and how they shoot. 3 shot mags usually except 222/223. They came in 222-223-22/250-243-6mm-308-44 mag-30-30, 24" barrels except the 2 carbines they were either 16 or 18".
Mine were $79.95
Most that have then keep them.
Stay Safe

aggie67

Post by aggie67 »

My first centerfire rifle was a 722 in 257 Roberts and it is still my favorite. I bought it in 1959 from a gunsmith friend who I worked for at his range when I was not working for my dad or other farmers. Minimum wage was 50 cents an hour at the time. Roy Vinson, the owner, had built this for his wife. Later I re-blued it and refinished and checkered the stock. I have shot more whitetails and muleys with it than you would believe and loaded 87 g bullets and shot varmints in the off seasons.

I have a couple of 721's in 30-06 that I bought because I thought they were just too cheap to pass up. I had a .222 Rem in a 721 that was stolen out of my truck in Reno NV back in '66. They hold a special place in my heart and my safe.

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

The 721/722 Remington were extremely accurate Rifles, I haven't owned one in many years.

I want another 725 Remington some day, if I find a clean one at a decent price.

Topic author
Lena

Post by Lena »

With the exception of some particular rifles both Winchester & Remington dropped from sale rifles for more profitable models that were much less accurate pre 64 70's and the Remington as discussed another rarely mentioned Remington is the 700 Classic which 1 caliber a year were made in the classic old style looks and finish and calibers, the caliber told the year made. Mine is a 220 Swift a friend has one in 250-3000. Great rifles.
Stay Safe

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

My hog hunting buddy uses a 721 in 30-06 which seems to shoot quite well. I believe these rifles had a problem with the trigger which the factory would fix - some sort of safety issue. My buddy checked with Remington and they told him his had been done before he acquired it. I don't think they do those fixes any more since the rifle is long out of production.

He's still killing hogs with his. It seems to be doing just fine.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”