Ruger 10/22 Takedown, who has one, and which version?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 11

Ruger 10/22 Takedown, who has one, and which version?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So I spent the day shopping for a takedown .22 with my "Christmas money", and I'm drawn to the Ruger 10/22. My interest in one is for target/plinking/varmints/small game hunting.......the usual reasons anyone buys a .22. There are several "standard" (meaning, "not distributor specials") takedown versions of the 10/22:

Model 11100:

Model 11112:

Model 21133:

Model 21152 "Lite":

I could probably be happy with any of these 4 models, but I'd prefer one with a 1/2"-28 threaded barrel for mounting a suppressor. The 21133 and 21152 both come with a knurled thread protector covering the 1/2"-28 threads. The 11112 of course has the removable Ruger birdcage flash-hider mounted on 1/2"-28 threads, and the 11100 has no barrel threading. It also has the lone 18" barrel, the others all being 16" I don't know that the extra 2" of barrel length makes that much of a difference. We're not talking about a long range weapon.

I don't mind buying one with the receiver/barrel in the white, but if I bought the 11100, I'd most likely Cerakote it a dark gray - since that's what I have on hand - to cut down reflections anyway.

Iron sights would be secondary for me, as I'd probably mount an inexpensive low power scope, or a red dot optic on it.....but I do like having iron sights as a backup.

The "trouble" with the 11112 model is the way the front sight is mounted so close to the shoulder of the threads. I went through this trying to suppress my Gunsite Scout, which comes the same way.....with the same flash-hider on it. The way the front sight is mounted, you can't use a normal flash-hider/suppressor-mount because the sight prevents the muzzle device from being threaded on all the way. My son CNC machined a standoff spacer for me that would allow the flash-hider to be mounted, but with only half of the normally available threads. It works, but it isn't optimal. The 11112 model would face the same issue, unless I purchased a dedicated .22 suppressor that threads directly onto the muzzle. So the 21133 and 21152 seem to be best suited to using a suppressor.......but then you lose the iron sights, so......

Anyway, I know that some of you guys have purchased some version or other of the 10-22 Takedown rifle. Which version did you buy, and what has been your experience so far with it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Medley86
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Ruger 10/22 Takedown, who has one, and which version?

Post by Medley86 »

I don't have a takedown but my 10/22 carbine has the same front sight as the 11100. I have an adapter that slips over the barrel and has 2 nuts to tighten it down behind the front sight keeping the sight serviceable and allowing for mounting a suppressor, all without any real modification of the barrel. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it after work tomorrow.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

I have the 11100. I found that my tired old eyes can't use that barrel mounted rear sight. I solved that by installing a Williams Ace In the Hole Sight Set.

This gives you a rear peep sight and a front fiber optic sight while keeping the Picatinny rail for mounting a scope. I put a Redfield Battlezone 2-7x 34 Tac 22 scope (no longer available) on a P.E.P.R style mount so I can swap the scope off and on without disturbing zero too much. Removing the scope makes it much easier to stow it all in the Ruger's case.

I spoke to a gunsmith who says he can move the front sight back and thread the muzzle for a supressor for a reasonable price. I haven't had that done yet, but I may if the Hearing Protection Act goes through.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Pawpaw wrote:I have the 11100. I solved the "sight issue" by installing a Williams Ace In the Hole Sight Set.

This gives you a rear peep sight and a front fiber optic sight while keeping the Picatinny rail for mounting a scope. I put a Redfield Battlezone 2-7x 34 Tac 22 scope (no longer available) on a P.E.P.R style mount so I can swap the scope off and on without disturbing zero too much. Removing the scope makes it much easier to stow it all in the Ruger's case.

I spoke to a gunsmith who says he can move the front sight back and thread the muzzle for a supressor for a reasonable price. I haven't had that done yet, but I may if the Hearing Protection Act goes through.
TAM,

You will want to change the front sight in any event. My 10/22 takedown came with a little, teeny weeny bronze colored metal bead for a front sight, I could barely make out on an outdoor range for sighting in... :cryin
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

This is the one I recently purchased:

http://grabagun.com/ruger-model-10-22-tdtmb-1.html

I really like this rifle. I haven't owned a .22 rifle since I was a kid, and it was a single shot bolt action. Fun to shoot (and fairly inexpensive too!)
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

Mine is not a takedown, but the synthetic stock/stainless barrel, very light and great to shoot. I added an optical sight and hasty sling for steel challenge shooting.

One thing you will want to do is add the auto-bolt release mod.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

bblhd672 wrote:This is the one I recently purchased:

http://grabagun.com/ruger-model-10-22-tdtmb-1.html

I really like this rifle. I haven't owned a .22 rifle since I was a kid, and it was a single shot bolt action. Fun to shoot (and fairly inexpensive too!)

You can also get it in Kryptek highlander for about $5 more

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore. ... lander-sts
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:I have the 11100. I solved the "sight issue" by installing a Williams Ace In the Hole Sight Set.

TAM,

You will want to change the front sight in any event. My 10/22 takedown came with a little, teeny weeny bronze colored metal bead for a front sight, I could barely make out on an outdoor range for sighting in... :cryin
Pawpaw and BC, thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of mounting some kind of rail and low-power optic anyway, but I had also considered going to a peep sight on the rear. Wasn't sure what to do about the front sight, but that Williams set looks like what I need.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Medley86 wrote:I don't have a takedown but my 10/22 carbine has the same front sight as the 11100. I have an adapter that slips over the barrel and has 2 nuts to tighten it down behind the front sight keeping the sight serviceable and allowing for mounting a suppressor, all without any real modification of the barrel. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it after work tomorrow.
I'd like to see that. Which suppressor are you using?

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

TAM, if you read the reviews for the Ace in the Hole sights, you will see that some have had problems with the height of the peep sight interfering with mounting a scope. Some say they removed the "peep" part of the sight which left them with more of a ghost ring.

I used this Weaver mount and have had no problems: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/38678 ... r-15-matte
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

Here is the adapter I have to retain factory front sights. Don't know if it would be something you would be interested in but it works well.ImageImageImage

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Medley86 wrote:I don't have a takedown but my 10/22 carbine has the same front sight as the 11100. I have an adapter that slips over the barrel and has 2 nuts to tighten it down behind the front sight keeping the sight serviceable and allowing for mounting a suppressor, all without any real modification of the barrel. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it after work tomorrow.
Currently don't have a suppressor, friend of mine built one form 1 and when he is in town and we go shoot I use his some. I haven't had time to get a form 1 together to build one myself. Hopefully they will change the regs so that I can just get one and not need a years worth of hassle to have it.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Medley86 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Currently don't have a suppressor, friend of mine built one form 1 and when he is in town and we go shoot I use his some. I haven't had time to get a form 1 together to build one myself. Hopefully they will change the regs so that I can just get one and not need a years worth of hassle to have it.
Can you give me a link where I can read up on that adapter?

#TINVOWOOT

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I got one shortly after they came out. Were initially hard to find. The 10/22 is a great little rifle. The Take Down follows suit.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”