Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I think I'm done buying guns for a while, but I had another one follow me home today, a Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short. I bought it at Cabelas in Fort Worth. MSRP is $450.00, but Cabelas had priced it at $399. However, when I rang it up, it came up in their register as $379. I'll take it, and let me get gone before they change their minds!

Unlike my recently acquired Marlin 336, this Henry rifle is very well made. The wood is a nice American walnut. The fit of wood to action is nearly perfect.....MUCH better than on the Marlin. The bluing is a deep almost black and very smooth, with an almost ceramic quality to it. The magazine tube and barrel are properly aligned, the sights are straight, and the action is as smooth as butter. Henry's quality is way WAY better than Marlin's. I would call this an heirloom quality rifle, and I just know that some day, my little grandson will be shooting his Papa's rifle.....and then he'll pass it on to his son. I've formed quite an attachment to this gun, in think in part because I've had a yen for a lever action .22 for 20 years or more, and just never got around to buying one. I love this gun.

I won't be able to get it to the range until Saturday to shoot it, but I can't wait. It smells like a real shooter. :mrgreen:

That 10/22 Takedown Rifle is going to have to wait. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Henry Lever Octagon .22 LR/.22 Short

Post by puma guy »

Well, you definitely have been bitten! It may no be a Marlin but you definitely have "leveritsis". I have no had the pleasure of shooting a Henry but I've handled them and they harken back to my younger days and love of Walnut and blued steel mated beautifully!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

:thumbs2:

I've shot my neighbor's Henry .22, and I think I can predict it will shoot as sweetly as you expect it to. The only thing I know of that I can say that's negative about Henry Repeating Arms is that they're headquartered in New Jersey. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I think I'm done buying guns for a while,
sure you are....
:-)

I've heard nothing but good things about Henry rifles, though there seem to be a couple of known issues:

1. (really only applies if you do Cowboy action shooting) - the weight and lack of a loading gate

2. they are made in the PRNJ (Peoples Republic of New Jersey)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

It is extremely difficult to go wrong with or be displeased with a Henry. My wife bought me a .44mag Golden Boy for our 10th Anniversary and I really really like it. It still has a silky smooth action and I can out shoot my BIL with his .22mag with a 3x scope with my iron sights.

I want another Henry, but can't decide which one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I've considered one in 45 Colt.... :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ghostrider wrote:
I think I'm done buying guns for a while,
sure you are....
:-)

I've heard nothing but good things about Henry rifles, though there seem to be a couple of known issues:

1. (really only applies if you do Cowboy action shooting) - the weight and lack of a loading gate

2. they are made in the PRNJ (Peoples Republic of New Jersey)
ghostrider wrote:I've considered one in 45 Colt.... :-)
Unfortunately, my wallet says I'm done for a while. My Christmas money is all gone. :cryin

I would consider one in either .44 or .357 mag, since I own pistols in that caliber, but probably my next one will be in .45-70.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

remanifest

Post by remanifest »

What a great looking rifle. I've been teetering between a pre-64 Marlin and a Henry Repeating Arms lever action.

I just can't decide if I want to go with bolt action or lever action...
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

That's one sweet looking rifle! :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

TAM the world of lever action has multiple calibers and models and makes to choose from. You have bought two within the last 2 weeks. Go ahead and buy a safe and just label it "Lever Action". :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

JRG

Post by JRG »

I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!

Joe

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!

Joe
You are in trouble.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

WTR wrote:
JRG wrote:I need to go to the Henry site and see if they offer that octagon barrel in a .357/.38. That would be hard for me to pass up!
Joe
You are in trouble.
Yes indeed he is in trouble. How about this "Rifleman" lever carbine, available in .357: https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henr ... y-carbine/?

Or this original hardened brass receiver Big Boy?

TAM, I hate you. Officially. You and AndyC. You keep showing me new stuff to buy that I shouldn't be spending money on.

I may have to buy something new, and if I do, it will be your fault.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Great looking rifle TAM. As you know, I am huge fan of Henry rifles. My son still has not fired his Eagle Scout Edition, I think he wants to preserve it as an heirloom, which is fine with me. I also know that Henry stands behind their rifles, and their customer service is second to none.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=82946

If I get another lever action it will be a Henry, they make so many different variations with multiple caliber choices, that deciding on one will be difficult. I may have to try to collect one of each. :biggrinjester: But I think Mrs. Jusme will have something to say about that. :nono:

Looking forward to your range report with your new lever gun. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Nice gun. Congrats!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”