FN SLP (shotgun) - mini review

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

FN SLP (shotgun) - mini review

Post by Scott B. »

The FN SLP or Self Loading Police. You can get it in a 22" 3-gun ready package, but I went with the 18" and ghost ring sights. Reasoned that I could always go longer, barrel and tube extension, but not shorter.

First rounds through it did not perform well. Winchester #8, 1200 FPS, cheap target ammo. Fed inconsistently and ejection was erratic. Critical to say here - I was not surprised. I had a box left over after skeet and not much time to test. Hoped it would eat the cheap stuff right off the bat but it was not to be.

This morning shot slugs and buckshot and it ran flawlessly. It's going to be a great shotgun once I find its happy place.

The SLP is known to need a little break-in. I'm hoping it will warm up to the cheaper stuff (to keep practice costs down), but for now will feed it what it wants. I do want to test some faster 7.5 this coming Saturday.

I did get the improved Nordic charging handle on this afternoon. Why FN doesn't include a beefier handle on the tactical edition I don't know.

Tweaking the liftgate might be next on my list or an outright replacement.

LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FN SLP (shotgun) - mini review

Post by Lena »

I have had a SLP for many years now it seems it is the best to me 3 gun shotgun I have fired, I had 1 FTF with cheap Win promo ammo just one, keep it lubed and decent ammo and mine runs perfect, mine is a 24", also the best steel plate shotgun I have shot and I tried them all when I decided, federal ammo has been 100% for me the 100 count Walmart boxes, since others have shot mine 2 more were bought as they also were very impredded, I did get the optional forearm with light rail, it excels at night shoots.
Stay Safe

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

What was the payload of the #8 shot? I have the SLP's step cousin (Maxus 3.5" chamber) and the lightest I've ran is 1-1/8oz at 1145fps and have no problems. Not the same gun I know but very similar design and if they were 1-1/8oz, I wonder if the SLP has some upgrades to make it more durable,with buckshot and slugs that most will run through the gun.

This is me wishing I had the SLP :drool:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

Which valve piston were you using?

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Nice. I've been looking at these for a while.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Winchester 1 1/8 oz, 3 dram - pretty standard. I'm hopeful that after a break-in period it will run it fine.

Which piston? I had the light weight piston, < 1.5 oz. Apparently they used to come in a Red and a Black base. Now it's just a 'gold' base on both.

I'm really liking it. Just hoping to feed it something 'cheaper' for classes.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I don't run a SLP, but I've been told some always run the light piston.

ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

Thanks for the review. I have a SLP on layaway.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Scott B., did yours break in were it would shoot lighter loads? I picked up a slightly used (maybe 1 box of shells thru it, maybe) 18" just like yours and 1-1/8 oz 3-1/4 dram would give me an occasional short stroke. OO buck was no problem and I don't mind shooting it if I can keep finding deals were it costs the same as AA's. I was shooting Federal #8 that my dad had and some cheap Estate #6 (didn't like these at all) that need to be burnt thru. I ran about 100 rounds (40 of which were buckshot) all with the light piston.

I wish I would have taken pictures but you should see what 7 rounds of #8 in the same spot will do to the side of an old fridge.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I picked up some higher speed 7.5 and it ate it all day long. I've got what's left sitting at my shop and will check what brand it was. I want to say it was Monarch, 'high brass', 1350 FPS, 7.5.

Shot a little trap this afternoon, but conditions were miserable. Should have taken the SLP, might have done a little better :???:

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

jason812 wrote: I was shooting Federal #8 that my dad had and some cheap Estate #6 (didn't like these at all) that need to be burnt thru. I ran about 100 rounds (40 of which were buckshot) all with the light piston.
It was Monarch, but I imagine any similar brand equivalent will work. High Velocity Lead Shot, Long Range High Brass. 2 3/4", 1350 FPS, 1 1/4 oz, 7.5 shot. Just needs a little more kick to run. I am curious if over time I can step down to regular 7.5 or 8.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I will pick up some 1300fps rounds and see what happens.

This is a fun gun to have.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”