Vepr 12 Choke and Muzzle brake

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Vepr 12 Choke and Muzzle brake

Post by Beiruty »

It is a "nut" job, the old nut is too big, now looking for thinner nut or shims.
Added a Vepr Choke and before the Muzzle Brake. What do you recommend?

Note: Brake cleaner would remove the Cheap Russian paint (see photos)
un-indexed

indexed
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Beiruty

Re: Vepr 12 Choke and Muzzle brake

Post by Beiruty »

I am contemplating filing the bottom of the Muzzle brake till it index correctly
Beiruty,

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

I wonder if you can find a bevel aka crush washer large enough to fit. Similar to how an AR flash hider is indexed. It will cost you more than a Chinese milling machine (file) though.

Search McMaster Carr or Fastenal.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

jason812 wrote:I wonder if you can find a bevel aka crush washer large enough to fit. Similar to how an AR flash hider is indexed. It will cost you more than a Chinese milling machine (file) though.

Can I find those at home depot or other hardware store? Or should I order from online?
Beiruty,

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Crush washers do reportedly pose some risk from an alignment standpoint if you have a close tolerance brake. You might consider these:

https://precisionarmament.com/product-c ... u-washers/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Beiruty wrote:
jason812 wrote:I wonder if you can find a bevel aka crush washer large enough to fit. Similar to how an AR flash hider is indexed. It will cost you more than a Chinese milling machine (file) though.

Can I find those at home depot or other hardware store? Or should I order from online?
You can look at the stores but I doubt anything that size is in stock locally even in a Fastenal store. You will probably find fender washers but I would be surprised to find shims.

Just a quick search and a guess of 20mm ID shows that even finding a shim with a small OD that won't stick out past the brake might be difficult.

Will this work? http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/0 ... ocknut.htm

Bitter, that's a 12ga brake, those shims might be a little small.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

jason812 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:

You can look at the stores but I doubt anything that size is in stock locally even in a Fastenal store. You will probably find fender washers but I would be surprised to find shims.

Just a quick search and a guess of 20mm ID shows that even finding a shim with a small OD that won't stick out past the brake might be difficult.

Will this work? http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/0 ... ocknut.htm

Bitter, that's a 12ga brake, those shims might be a little small.
It is thinner from the one I have, it might work. I ordered from the same seller but did not add this washer. If I install the one I have, it would take a lot of threading and the MB would have only 2-4 threads to hang on. That is surely something I do not like.

I am thinking to get a sanding paper and take out some 0.2mm at a time until it indexes correctly. All the way in, it needs some 35 to 40 degres to index, and the thread is M22x0.75mm. I guess 0.75mm is linear travel of the MB per 1 rotation. Is that correct?

I could also use the choke as "jamming nut", however, it already fixed with good coat of Loctite blue. In addition, I wanted to have no space between the barrel inner surface and the Choke inner surface. It is now flush from the inside. :thumbs2:
Beiruty,

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Yes, the .75mm is linear travel per 1 full rotation. If my math is correct, you only need to remove around .002-.003" A good flat surface and some fine sand paper might do the trick. Just don't take off too much, you can't put it back on.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

jason812 wrote:Yes, the .75mm is linear travel per 1 full rotation. If my math is correct, you only need to remove around .002-.003" A good flat surface and some fine sand paper might do the trick. Just don't take off too much, you can't put it back on.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Some two 180 sandpapers and little patience, I got it indexed flush and screwed all the way against the choke

Beiruty,

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”