AR10. To do or not to do

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR10. To do or not to do

Post by Abraham »

When shooting the M-14 (Nato 7.62 caliber or 308 for you civilians) in basic training at Fort Ord, we had half-man sized targets placed at various distances from relatively close to farther away and the longest shot being 500 meters.

It was quite easy to hit the 500 meter target with iron sights...we all did it and no one thought it any big deal.

Of course, we were all young eyed whipper snappers.

I need a scope now, but the thing I look back upon is we were shooting M-14's that had seen prior service. I've no clue how many before me was issued the rifle I used. It was still a shooter without any special barrel or this or that.

I had much shooting experience before I went into the Army, but many had never seen a rifle before they entered, but were very good almost immediately.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:When shooting the M-14 (Nato 7.62 caliber or 308 for you civilians) in basic training at Fort Ord, we had half-man sized targets placed at various distances from relatively close to farther away and the longest shot being 500 meters.

It was quite easy to hit the 500 meter target with iron sights...we all did it and no one thought it any big deal.

Of course, we were all young eyed whipper snappers.

I need a scope now, but the thing I look back upon is we were shooting M-14's that had seen prior service. I've no clue how many before me was issued the rifle I used. It was still a shooter without any special barrel or this or that.

I had much shooting experience before I went into the Army, but many had never seen a rifle before they entered, but were very good almost immediately.
Some rifles make it easier to be good than others. The M14/M1A is one of them. Combined that rifle with a good training cadre, and almost anybody can be trained to shoot reasonably well. Heck, the first time I took mine to a range, with iron sights I was beating the snot out of a 10"x10" steel plate at 200 yards. That rifle system has some of the best iron sights I've ever seen. What I also know is that .308 Winchester is a confidence-inspirer. It's a LOT of cartridge for close quarters, but for just being useful and accurate over a flexible range of scenarios and distances, it is hard to beat. Plus, that rifle in particular is just sexy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I have two large frame ARs, a 16" 308 and a 10" 7mm08. I use them both for hunting rifles. I also have a 24" match upper that only sees the range. The 16" with a titanium suppressor and loaded 20 round mag is really too heavy to walk around with for long. The 10" gun is slightly lighter and much handier with a suppressor on it. The 24" gun is a boat anchor but makes nice little groups. My two don't really serve any purpose that I don't have filled by other guns. I like them well enough but could easily get by without them.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

You need and want a .308 :txflag:

I built a 5.56/Aimpoint as a lightweight utility patrol AR, love it. Built a 300 Blackout and suppressor for hunting but my pride and joy is my .308 AR. Reach out and touch someone - I was moving a steel plate at 500 yards. I love that capability.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I have an AR-10.

Having said that, the main advantage of an AR-10 over other heavier-than-5.56 calibers is that .308 ammo is plentiful and varied. In my case I use it for hog hunting. I have a 300 Blackout for shorter range hunting at night when I'm doing spot and stalk or spending time over a feeder or bait site, but if I'm going to be shooting at running hogs I want the range and power of a 7.62X51 cartridge.

I had a 5.56 AR-15, and I brought it hog hunting. It was a delight to carry. It was light and easy to handle. Then I shot a hog with it. The hog wouldn't stand still and I just took a center mass shot. The hog took off! I got another bullet into it and knocked it down, but when I got to it the hog was still alive and I had to shoot it a third time. This was an 80# hog, not a monster pig. I was using Nosler 60 grain partitions, and the bullets expanded perfectly. There just wasn't enough 'Oomph' in them. I sold the AR-15 and bought the AR-10. I know there are a lot of folks who successfully use AR-15's for hog hunting, and I'm not trying to restart a caliber war, but I find the heavier bullet of the AR-10 just works better for me. I could have gone with a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC II and I'm sure they would work just fine, but as I mentioned above the .308 ammo is pretty ubiquitous.

However, if you're not shooting hogs and just want a rifle for the End Times, you're on your own. I don't wish to stir that pot … :evil2:
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

To answer the OP's question - YES :txflag:

I have an Armalite AR-10 carbine, love it. I got it in case i needed to "reach out and touch someone" or medium to large game if ever needed. it does get heavy, was just over 9 lbs empty with scope mounted, but have been able to shoot off-hand and acquire target for followup shots. adding a suppressor makes it barrel heavy and it now has a bi-pod which adds more weight, but i really like the way it shoots and with the bi-pod so much better.
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here....... let me muddy the waters even further..........

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... e-shot-17/
Robinson Armament offers the XCR in a wide variety of calibers. The XCR-L is offered in 5.56mm, .300 Blackout, 6.8mm SPC, 7.62x39mm, and 5.45x39mm. The XCR-M is offered in .308 Winchester, .243 Winchester, and .260 Remington.

My work here is done. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I have an AR-10 styled rifle for sale at the moment, as it were :-) Check out the FS section.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Do it!

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”