AR10. To do or not to do

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jmra
Posts in topic: 2

AR10. To do or not to do

Post by jmra »

Over the last few years I've built an AR15 for every member of the family. Having that out of the way, today while walking thru the Big Town gun show I was thinking about possibly adding an AR10 to the safe collection. Pretty amazing how much a base model AR10 has come down in price.
Here is my dilemma, I already have very accurate shooters with nice scopes in .270, .243, and 30.06. Other than the fact that these are bolt action rifles as opposed to semis, what real advantage would I gain with the AR10? The AR15s seem like they could handle close range defense very well. The AR10 would be nice for longer shots, but I'd think any of the bolt actions would also do well in that capacity.
If I did go with the AR10 I would probably liquidate a couple of the bolt actions.
So, what do you think? Got it covered with the bolt actions or should I cash in the bolt actions for the AR10?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR10. To do or not to do

Post by Ed4032 »

I think you completely misunderstand the reason we accumulate guns, especially ARs.

It's because we can.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

PBR

Post by PBR »

jmra wrote: If I did go with the AR10 I would probably liquidate a couple of the bolt actions.
I think you have sort of answered your own question here. Although I love my AR10's if I would have had to liquidate other guns to get them I wouldn't have them, if this makes any sense.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

rotor

Post by rotor »

Do you mean an actual Armalite AR10 or are you talking about an AR platform .308 rifle? I agree that there doesn't have to be a reason to acquire one. But if you plan on hunting feral hogs (like I am going to do) I think the .308 platform would be better and the ability to get off more firepower faster. I have a Ruger SR762 and it's pretty nice (after sending it back to have it fixed).

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Unless you are absolutely certain that replacing two or three guns for one is really what you want to do and the best option go for it. Personally I'd keep the bolt actions and just leave the AR10 to the birds. Now granted in the gun collection I have I have an AR10 and it is sweet but.... I pick up my 556/223 over it anytime I go out into the Field because it's so dang heavy. Now in a deer stand or ground blind lookin for hogs I'll tote it because that massive power is more desirable. That being said shot placement with a 223 is just as good as far as taking down hogs goes

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would sell two AR15s and buy an AR10 platform and keep my bolt guns. I'm a big fan of the 7.62 over the 5.56 for a battle rifle.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Since you seem to really be thinking and wanting one. If you don't get the AR10, then you will always have that empty spot inside that only it can fill.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I was in the same boat a few years back with my family and decided to stick with the 223/5.56 platforms and using our scoped bolt action rifles for precision long range work if needed. We have many configurations on our M4's and will be moving into thermal on one spare rifle as soon as we decide on the specs. Premium ammo and spare parts are much easier to stock on one main defensive platform. We now have a few Mini-14's in the mix with holographic quick reaction sights but we didn't have to add another caliber to stock up on.

As much as I tried to justify the utility of an AR10 out here I could not. That "Pandora's box" was better left closed for me.
III

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

If for some reason I could only keep one firearm, it would be my Armalite AR10.
There is no substitute for horsepower!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

flowrie wrote:If for some reason I could only keep one firearm, it would be my Armalite AR10.
There is no substitute for horsepower!
:iagree:

Get that AR-10, you will love it!!!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

It is always tough to sell guns, but if you think they are worth selling, then they are. Regardless of what you would buy with them. IMO, deciding if you can do without a gun with no regrets is a separate question.

As for the AR-10, look around and decide if you want to buy a complete rifle or just get an upper and put a lower together. Lots of choices in rifles or uppers. Lots of choices in how much money spend also.

Topic author
jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

One more option to through in the mix:
300 blackout upper to replace one of my 5.56 uppers instead of the AR10.
Pros and cons...go.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jmra wrote:Over the last few years I've built an AR15 for every member of the family. Having that out of the way, today while walking thru the Big Town gun show I was thinking about possibly adding an AR10 to the safe collection. Pretty amazing how much a base model AR10 has come down in price.
Here is my dilemma, I already have very accurate shooters with nice scopes in .270, .243, and 30.06. Other than the fact that these are bolt action rifles as opposed to semis, what real advantage would I gain with the AR10? The AR15s seem like they could handle close range defense very well. The AR10 would be nice for longer shots, but I'd think any of the bolt actions would also do well in that capacity.
If I did go with the AR10 I would probably liquidate a couple of the bolt actions.
So, what do you think? Got it covered with the bolt actions or should I cash in the bolt actions for the AR10?
The question is, how to you envision the mission for an AR-10? Are you thinking "target rifle", "hunting rifle", or "battle rifle"? You can build one that will be a sub-MOA shooter good for 800+ yards, that will be very expensive, weigh a ton, and will take any game you can take with a .308. Or, you can build one that will come in under 9 lbs, plus scope, and have a fairly decent AR that will take anything you would kind of hesitate to shoot with a .223 bullet. Or, you can build an 8 lb 16" carbine with a light barrel and a basic 6 position collapsable stock, iron sights, and a low magnification scope or RDS for a run and gun .308.

You can have a gas-piston AR-10, or a DI AR-10. Keep in mind that with an AR-10 lower, you can mate other uppers to it, in calibers not available for an AR-15 lower, such as .243 or .260 Remington, for instance. Simply put, an AR-10 offers you the same kind of modularity as an AR-15......just scaled up and heavier.

There are some things to watch out for, or at least consider, if you decide to build one. Because the platform was standardized for limited military use in the SASS role, the platform is not nearly as standardized as is the AR-15. So for instance, Rock River Arms AR-10s used to require FAL metric magazines, instead of the standard pattern "SR-25" and STANAG magazines (STANAG magazines are NATO compliant) like a PMAG. Not all AR-10 receiver halves from a given manufacturer will be compatible to receiver halves from other manufacturers. There may be incompatibilities in other parts between manufacturers. I don't know all the different permutations, but suffice it to say that you'll want to do the research. My ONE piece of advice is to go with a lower that is compatible with a SR-25 / STANAG mag.

I am of the opinion that everybody's collection should include a .308 battle rifle - whether that be an AR-10 like I used to have, an M1A like I used to have, a SCAR 17 like I have currently, or a FAL like I want to have. They are a LOT of fun to shoot, and they do have the tendency to make you very aware of the limitations of your AR15s. I like my AR15s. Like them a LOT. But they can't flail a target the way a .308 can. Lot's of people are just fine hunting hogs with an AR15. I won't say that it's unethical, or anything that that, because it isn't. But hogs are tough animals, and I am just personally more confident in that application with a .30 caliber round. An AR-10 is as good a choice in that application as any other .308......and if a fast followup shot is important to you, then it is a better choice than any of your bolt guns.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
jmra wrote:Over the last few years I've built an AR15 for every member of the family. Having that out of the way, today while walking thru the Big Town gun show I was thinking about possibly adding an AR10 to the safe collection. Pretty amazing how much a base model AR10 has come down in price.
The question is, how to you envision the mission for an AR-10? Are you thinking "target rifle", "hunting rifle", or "battle rifle"? You can build one that will be a sub-MOA shooter good for 800+ yards, that will be very expensive, weigh a ton, and will take any game you can take with a .308. Or, you can build one that will come in under 9 lbs, plus scope, and have a fairly decent AR that will take anything you would kind of hesitate to shoot with a .223 bullet. Or, you can build an 8 lb 16" carbine with a light barrel and a basic 6 position collapsable stock, iron sights, and a low magnification scope or RDS for a run and gun .308.

You can have a gas-piston AR-10, or a DI AR-10. Keep in mind that with an AR-10 lower, you can mate other uppers to it, in calibers not available for an AR-15 lower, such as .243 or .260 Remington, for instance. Simply put, an AR-10 offers you the same kind of modularity as an AR-15......just scaled up and heavier.

There are some things to watch out for, or at least consider, if you decide to build one. Because the platform was standardized for limited military use in the SASS role, the platform is not nearly as standardized as is the AR-15. So for instance, Rock River Arms AR-10s used to require FAL metric magazines, instead of the standard pattern "SR-25" and STANAG magazines (STANAG magazines are NATO compliant) like a PMAG. Not all AR-10 receiver halves from a given manufacturer will be compatible to receiver halves from other manufacturers. There may be incompatibilities in other parts between manufacturers. I don't know all the different permutations, but suffice it to say that you'll want to do the research. My ONE piece of advice is to go with a lower that is compatible with a SR-25 / STANAG mag.

I am of the opinion that everybody's collection should include a .308 battle rifle - whether that be an AR-10 like I used to have, an M1A like I used to have, a SCAR 17 like I have currently, or a FAL like I want to have. They are a LOT of fun to shoot, and they do have the tendency to make you very aware of the limitations of your AR15s. I like my AR15s. Like them a LOT. But they can't flail a target the way a .308 can. Lot's of people are just fine hunting hogs with an AR15. I won't say that it's unethical, or anything that that, because it isn't. But hogs are tough animals, and I am just personally more confident in that application with a .30 caliber round. An AR-10 is as good a choice in that application as any other .308......and if a fast followup shot is important to you, then it is a better choice than any of your bolt guns.

Now you've done it TAM!! :shock:

He won't ever be able to decide now!! :headscratch Way to muddy the already opaque waters!! "rlol"
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Now you've done it TAM!! :shock:

He won't ever be able to decide now!! :headscratch Way to muddy the already opaque waters!! "rlol"
My mission here is done. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”