I LOVE Gas Guns!

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I LOVE Gas Guns!

Post by G26ster »

Odiferous wrote:It refers to the gas operated action, as opposed to a bolt gun. Google "direct impingement" for more info.
I did Google it. Says, "Direct impingement is a type of gas operation for a firearm that directs gas from a fired cartridge directly into the bolt carrier or slide assembly to cycle the action. So why is it "opposed" to a bolt gun if it directs gas directly into the "bolt carrier?" :confused5

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

G26ster wrote:
Odiferous wrote:It refers to the gas operated action, as opposed to a bolt gun. Google "direct impingement" for more info.
I did Google it. Says, "Direct impingement is a type of gas operation for a firearm that directs gas from a fired cartridge directly into the bolt carrier or slide assembly to cycle the action. So why is it "opposed" to a bolt gun if it directs gas directly into the "bolt carrier?" :confused5

The gas is what actually operates the action to eject the fired cartridge, and load another round into the chamber. A bolt gun requires the operator to manually move the bolt, to do that. A "gas gun" uses the gas, rather than the recoil like some semi auto firearms.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bitter Clinger »

G26ster wrote:
Perhaps this will help?:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

That's really nice. I am new to rifle shooting. I belong to a club that goes out to 200 yards and we have access to another place that goes out to 700 yards, free for members. I will keep playing in the shallow end, until I learn how to play with the big boys. Congrats and enjoy your new toy.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Me too!

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

I love blowback guns...Thompson, MAC, M2 Carbine... ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Beiruty »

Your gas rifle against my SAKO 243. Yours have better BC but you are limited to Mag length. Mine is limited to light weight bullets due to the slow twist rate...
Where is the Top gun range when you need it? :mrgreen:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Jusme wrote:
G26ster wrote:

The gas is what actually operates the action to eject the fired cartridge, and load another round into the chamber. A bolt gun requires the operator to manually move the bolt, to do that. A "gas gun" uses the gas, rather than the recoil like some semi auto firearms.
I get the point, but it seems that "bolt gun" only applying to manually operated bolts is somewhat of a misnomer, as I have/and had many rifles that had bolts operated by gas. Then again, I'm not sure how to fully describe a manual bolt gun vs. a gas operated bolt gun. Oh well...

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Deitz83 wrote:That's really nice. I am new to rifle shooting. I belong to a club that goes out to 200 yards and we have access to another place that goes out to 700 yards, free for members. I will keep playing in the shallow end, until I learn how to play with the big boys. Congrats and enjoy your new toy.
Can you share more info on this? Sounds interesting!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:Your gas rifle against my SAKO 243. Yours have better BC but you are limited to Mag length. Mine is limited to light weight bullets due to the slow twist rate...
Where is the Top gun range when you need it? :mrgreen:
ETTS, baby! 1,200 yard range.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Do they have daily visit?
Beiruty,

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Deitz83 wrote:That's really nice. I am new to rifle shooting. I belong to a club that goes out to 200 yards and we have access to another place that goes out to 700 yards, free for members. I will keep playing in the shallow end, until I learn how to play with the big boys. Congrats and enjoy your new toy.
What's the name of the club?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Poetry Shooting Club in Terrell, Texas is the range that goes out to 700. Give them a call. I believe they do daily visits, but I do not you guy to beat me up for stating bad information. I haven't been since I am in the beginning stages of rifle shooting. I will be running with the big dogs at some point. Tikka T3X TACA1 is my next purchase. The gas gun I build for my my wife and my trainer.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Beiruty wrote:Do they have daily visit?
Yes, they do have a daily rate.......IF accompanied by a member...... of $20 for the day. Otherwise, here are the rates: http://www.ettsgunrange.com/membership/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Do they have daily visit?
Yes, they do have a daily rate.......IF accompanied by a member...... of $20 for the day. Otherwise, here are the rates: http://www.ettsgunrange.com/membership/
So, I need an invitation from a member ;)
Beiruty,

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”