Can you identify these shotguns?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
FrogFan
Posts in topic: 6

Can you identify these shotguns?

Post by FrogFan »

Hi all,

I appreciate your guidance in helping me figure out how to value the Model 23s described in another thread. While we were going through my dad's safe, we found two shotguns we can't identify. Gun 2, below, (with two hammers) belonged to my grandfather. My guess is that it was built in the 20's, but I really have no idea. My grandfather was not a wealthy man, so I doubt if the gun had much value back then and probably doesn't now, but we are taking it to a dealer to get appraised. At this point, I'm just really curious what it is. I don't know anything about gun 1.

Here are some pictures:

First, gun 1:

Gun 2:

Note that the third picture of gun 1 also includes gun 2, and the second picture of gun 2 includes an Ithaca Model 37. There appear to be identfying marks of some kind on gun 1, but not gun 2.

Thanks for any help!

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can you identify these shotguns?

Post by Middle Age Russ »

All I can tell you is that the barrels of Gun 1 and Gun 2 appear to be Damascus steel, and I would be leery of shooting any modern loads in them except for very light ones.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Middle Age Russ wrote:All I can tell you is that the barrels of Gun 1 and Gun 2 appear to be Damascus steel, and I would be leery of shooting any modern loads in them except for very light ones.
Thanks for the advice! We won't be shooting either one of them.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

FrogFan wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:All I can tell you is that the barrels of Gun 1 and Gun 2 appear to be Damascus steel, and I would be leery of shooting any modern loads in them except for very light ones.
Thanks for the advice! We won't be shooting either one of them.
OTH, that Ithaca 37 is probably fine with modern ammo, as long as you don't shoot any of the really exotic stuff that has come out in the last 5-10 years. But regular old birdshot, buckshot, or slugs should be fine. Treat the Ithaca the way you would an old Remington 870. The 37 was originally entered commercial production in 1933.

Edited to add: It would probably be wise to have a gunsmith inspect the 37 first, just to make sure it is mechanically sound and the barrel is sound. But if it is OK, then shoot the dickens out of it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

The Annoyed Man wrote: OTH, that Ithaca 37 is probably fine with modern ammo, as long as you don't shoot any of the really exotic stuff that has come out in the last 5-10 years. But regular old birdshot, buckshot, or slugs should be fine. Treat the Ithaca the way you would an old Remington 870. The 37 was originally entered commercial production in 1933.

Edited to add: It would probably be wise to have a gunsmith inspect the 37 first, just to make sure it is mechanically sound and the barrel is sound. But if it is OK, then shoot the dickens out of it.
Thank you!

That Ithaca was my dad's go to gun back in the day. We would walk the corn and bean field stubble behind our house 50 something years ago in search of pheasants and rabbits, he with the Ithaca and me with my trusty Stevens/Savage single-shot 20 gauge. We never got much game but we had fun.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I found this link that gives indicators on how to identify the older guns. In fact one looks exactly like the barrels of the one you have that says "Twist"

http://www.meridenfirearms.com/identification.html

Don''t know if it will help but it may be a starting point.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Jusme wrote:I found this link that gives indicators on how to identify the older guns. In fact one looks exactly like the barrels of the one you have that says "Twist"

http://www.meridenfirearms.com/identification.html

Don''t know if it will help but it may be a starting point.
This could be very helpful. Thank you. It seems from the information on the site that both of these are "Twist" barrels as opposed to Damascus or Chain Damascus. My brother has the guns and will take them to the appraiser this week, but I sent him the link to see if he can find out anything else about them.

Edited to correct typo.

Topic author
FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Just to close the loop, we took these guns to an appraiser. It turns out gun 1 is a Parker, valued at $500, and gun 2 is a Lakeside, built by Crescent Firearms and sold by Montgomery Ward. Gun 2 is valued at $250.

Neither of these should be fired. Ever!

Thanks for the interest!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Here's a link with information on Parker Bros. Shotguns. Grades, Date of manufacture, Values, etc.

http://www.parker-shotguns.com/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

Thank you, puma guy!

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

Unless the Parker has some serious defect, I would say it has value exceeding 500 dollars.

Also unless the firearm has some wear or defect, it is safe to fire with the proper ammunition.

Damascus, Twist, and other Laminated barrels if of good original construction, and in good condition are safe with ammunition they were built for.

The catch is knowing enough to determine the aforementioned criteria, and you should seek the advice of a gunsmith familiar with this niche of shotguns before firing.

There is considerable mythology about the inherent dangers of these welded barrels, spread by well meaning persons.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/gunther1.htm

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

FrogFan wrote:Thank you, puma guy!
You're welcome.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”