AR mags

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 3

AR mags

Post by JRG »

On your AR mags, do you keep them loaded up or not? I know the one in the gun needs to be loaded, but am not sure about the extras. Loaded or not?

Also, how many extra mags should I have?

Joe

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR mags

Post by cyphertext »

I have some loaded, some not. As far as extras, as many as you can! Magazines are always a topic for bans and restrictions, so get them now while they are cheap.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Loaded.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but someone did a study recently that found that loading/unloading magazines was much more detrimental for spring health, than leaving magazines loaded

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

jb2012 wrote:I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but someone did a study recently that found that loading/unloading magazines was much more detrimental for spring health, than leaving magazines loaded

:iagree: Keep them loaded.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Loaded.
How many loaded? Only you can determine how many loaded magazines you might need in self defense scenarios both at home and in public.

How many total? As many as you can afford. Look for deals on buying 10 at a time. The Magpul PMags seem to have the best quality and fit in polymer mags for AR. I've started stocking up on aluminum D&H mags.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

cyphertext wrote:I have some loaded, some not. As far as extras, as many as you can! Magazines are always a topic for bans and restrictions, so get them now while they are cheap.
:iagree:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

As for how many should you have... well if you have to ask then you need more. Simple as that. You just don't have enough.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Ed4032 wrote:As for how many should you have... well if you have to ask then you need more. Simple as that. You just don't have enough.
:iagree: Good answer! I realized a couple years back that I had enough when someone asked me how many I had and I honestly couldn't tell them. I keep mine loaded and stored in ammo cans.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Most of mine are loaded. The ones I use at the range stay unloaded, because I usually only load them at the range. When I load mags at the range I purposely load them short with random numbers of rounds to force myself to do mag changes.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cyphertext wrote:I have some loaded, some not. As far as extras, as many as you can! Magazines are always a topic for bans and restrictions, so get them now while they are cheap.
Ditto. I have all the ones I'm likely to need at any one time loaded. But I also have some that are still in the package. The reason I haven't loaded all of them is that an ammo can full of loose rounds holds a LOT more ammo in a given amount of shelf space than the same amount of ammo loaded into magazines; and by necessity, I store my unused magazines in a different place than I store my bulk ammo.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I usually keep all but one of mine loaded. That way I have one around that I can load 5 into so I can shoot a group without having to eject and clear every time.

After a range trip, I'll leave them unloaded for a little while so I can get some time in practicing reloading from my pouches. I bought a lockable can from MTM that holds 15 loaded magazines upright and it's great for safe storage and tossing in the car for a productive range day.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I have some mags that get used for training only. Those stay unloaded, so I can load whatever the instructor wants as far as round count and dummy rounds. Other than those, all my mags are loaded. Pistol or AR doesn't matter.
NRA Benefactor Member

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Of my 100 or so AR mags I usually have 10-15 loaded. 5 in a chest rig hanging in the closet, 4 in rifles, and then a couple more randomly in the safe.

As for how many, that's for you to decide. I would encourage you to think about the mix you are acquiring. Trying to stay around 50/50 with good/cheap mags seems to work out without killing the wallet. Right now I'm favoring the Lancer mags in the "good" category and the D&H mags for the "cheap" side of things. As others have said now is the time to buy while all is quiet and prices are down.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I have about 30 still in the plastic. I have about 10-12 unwrapped that I keep loaded. Some have hollow points and and some have the green tipped penetrator rounds . Those mags are indicated with different color tape around the end of the mag. The rest are loaded with 55 grain range ammo and only get unloaded when shot at the range.

Since I've been able to get to the range more often in the last couple months I've been thinking of getting some more mags.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”