AR mags

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR mags

Post by der Teufel »

JRG wrote:Also, how many extra mags should I have?
At least one …
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

remington79

Post by remington79 »

I keep at least 5 loaded. The rest are empty. I only use PMags but I do have some old metal 20 rounders. A few years ago my friend went to AFG he said everyone was using PMags and that the metal mags in his words were an endangered species. The Marine Corps is now issuing the Gen 3 PMags and are only allowing the new Army improved mags for training only. PMags can be had for $12 to $15 so price isn't an issue. You'll get good and inexpensive.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Compressing a spring does not cause wear, compression and decompression does.

I've probably got about 30 loaded mags at the moment. Around 15 223/5.56, about 5 300 Blackout, a single 5.45x39, and around 10 308/7.62. I have another 5 or 600 AR15 mags and 100 or so LR308 mags.

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JRG »

I went today and bought 4 mags and 100 rounds of .223 ammo. Two mags are Hexmags, and two are Pmags version 3. The Hex ones were $9.99 each and the Pmags were $13.99.

I decided to go ahead and start gathering mags and ammo before I get the rifle.

Joe

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

One idea i heard: Keep enough spare mags so if one you are using is damaged or starts causing malfunctions, you can just throw it in the trash can and get a spare. Bad magazines can cause a lot of issues. They are too cheap to spend any time worrying about. I would start with at least 6 to 10. You can stock up if you want as you see sales online.

I have some 20 rounders I shoot at the range. I have magpul and aluminum mags that are still in the wrapper unloaded. I have several loaded in a mag pouch I can grab easily (to go to the range or other). I have recently acquired a couple 40 round mags to keep loaded for home defense with good ammo. Do whatever makes sense to you.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have 100 aluminum D&H 30 round mags sitting in the box they came in and another 20 or so primarily Magpul mags. Most of those are 30 rounders as well, but I have a couple 20 rounders. I stocked up before the last election, but really see no reason to sell any now. If the prices go up, I might consider it.

As far as loaded, I try to keep 25 - 50 rounds of ammo loaded in mags for each of my primary defense weapons (EDC, Bedside handgun, car gun, AR). For home defense, I also have a few loaded AR mags staged in various places in the house. I can't do that with guns as I have small children in the house.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Primary Arms is currently selling 30 round Troy Battle mags for $7.99.

Topic author
JRG

Post by JRG »

Abraham wrote:Primary Arms is currently selling 30 round Troy Battle mags for $7.99.
Are the Troy Battle mags any good? Since this is my first attempt at AR doings, I've not heard of them.

Joe

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

JRG wrote:
Abraham wrote:Primary Arms is currently selling 30 round Troy Battle mags for $7.99.
Are the Troy Battle mags any good? Since this is my first attempt at AR doings, I've not heard of them.

Joe
I bought 10 Troy mags on sale from Primary Arms. They would be my 3rd choice of what to use from the supply of mags I have. I mainly bought them for future "barter" use if needed in times where new 30 round mags may be hard to come by.

You can't go wrong with Magpul PMags to start your collection.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I have a half dozen Troy Battlemags and they work fine on the range.

However, I see gen2 pmags for $10 on sale often during the past three months. I think gen2 pmags are worth the extra $2. I'm not sure the gen3 pmags are worth the premium over the gen2, but we're still talking less than $20 per magazine.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Palmetto has D&H 5.56 30 round aluminum mags on sale for $6.99 today. Ordered 10 more.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5-56 ... -8416.html
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JRG wrote:On your AR mags, do you keep them loaded up or not? I know the one in the gun needs to be loaded, but am not sure about the extras. Loaded or not?
Depends......loaded if you only have a few.......do as you like if you have a lot of them.
JRG wrote:Also, how many extra mags should I have?
Depends...... will you be swimming with this rifle? :mrgreen:

I've lost track of how many AR I have, but at last count it was somewhere around 20 or 25. I normally only have about half of them loaded with 5.56 at any given time, although at the moment, I've only got about 4 or 5 loaded because I haven't recharged the other 5 or 6 since my last big range day. Some of the rest are still in their original packaging. But I've seen people with absolute scads of magazines, and all of them loaded. At 30 rounds per mag, I don't expect to get into a firefight where I'll need more than 300 rounds ( :lol: ).........

I also have three that I keep loaded with .300 Blk for my SBR - two 30 rounders with subsonics, and a 20 rounder with supersonics. That SBR is my "bedroom" gun.

I usually don't keep more than 1 or 2 of the 11 mags for my SCAR 17S loaded at any given time.......more out of the general habit of keeping a few mags loaded for any of my firearms, than out of any perceived need to have a .308 battle rifle ready to go at any given moment.....given that .308 is not a realistic personal defense caliber, especially for inside the home. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

A friend bought 10 for his hedging the election purchase. Another friend bought 100 for the same reason.

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

Primary Arms has 30rd solid black PMAGs on sale for $9.99 and it looks like the M2 and M3 are both available at that price. If you want windows the price goes up a few bucks.

Palmetto State Armory has five 30rd PMAGs and a rifle case for $59.99, as well as the $6.99 aluminum mags already mentioned.
"hic sunt dracones"

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

On the one point, I don't think it hurts the magazines or wears them out to keep them loaded all the time. You can always download them a couple rounds if it is still a concern. For most of us, we don't use the magazines enough to wear them out. Unless the springs are cheap crap, they will hold up fine.

In my opinion, poor quality magazines cause more issues than anything else. In other words, pay attention to the better brands and don't buy cheap no-name mags at gun shows (my lesson learned years ago). These days, quality magazines are very inexpensive so that really isn't an issue. D&H Industries, Magpul, and others make good magazines and the price is low.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”