Ruger American .22LR or .17HMR / owners here?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gemini
Posts in topic: 3

Ruger American .22LR or .17HMR / owners here?

Post by gemini »

I'm looking at getting a little bolt action .22LR for a "barn gun". One to keep at the farm
to dispatch unwanted turtles, grackles/crows etc. Something not too pretty, because it will get banged around,
fairly accurate, and user friendly. I've looked at the Savage models and a few others, but am leaning
toward the Ruger. I like the idea of the rotary magazine and a few other features.
My question is for anyone who owns: either the Ruger model 8301 or 8305, whether they like the gun,
it's accuracy, trigger feel (adjustable) etc ?
Thanks in advance for any information provided.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ruger American .22LR or .17HMR / owners here?

Post by cyphertext »

I have one, the .22lr full size and I love that rifle. I can keep 9 out of 10 rounds in a one inch square block at 50 yards consistently with bulk .22lr ammo... plenty accurate for hunting and pest control. Magazines are readily available. I haven't adjusted the trigger, just added an inexpensive scope and started shooting it.

Topic author
gemini

Post by gemini »

Thanks for the response. I picked up the compact model w/ threaded 18" barrel.
Just ordered Weaver #12 bases and Med Height rings. However, now I'm thinking
maybe I should have gotten high rings. I want to mount a Nikon 3x9-40 and wonder
if the rear sight will interfere (even when folded down). Most videos I've pulled up show
guys using "clamp" type rings on the 3/8" receiver groove. I'm not a fan of that type
mount. Don't particularly want to remove the rear iron sight (it will get lost). I've checked out
the rimfire forums, but, although there are plenty of posts.....nobody gives specific info on
the base/height issue and 40 objective. So....... stay tuned, I will post the results here.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cyphertext »

I have a Bushnell Banner 4-12 x 40 AO scope on mine and I had to use the high rings so that the adjustable objective could clear the barrel. The sight is not an issue for me. I think it cleared the sight with the medium rings too, but I couldn't fit the scope cover on the front objective...but I honestly don't remember. I remember mediums wouldn't work, but I'm pretty sure it was only because of the adjustment ring being larger than a fixed objective.

Topic author
gemini

Post by gemini »

Well, finally got the scope mounted. Medium rings might work if the rear iron sight
was removed. High rings installed, and there's about 1/16"(or less) space between obj bell and
the front iron sight. What a fun little gun to shoot! Thanks again cyphertext for your info.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”