7.62x39 ammo test - interesting results

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 7.62x39 ammo test - interesting results

Post by Lambda Force »

Thamks Andy. I always thought the accuracy reputation was more the platform than inherent in the round.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Very interesting! This reminds me that an AK is on my list of things to add to my collection some day. Couple of questions.....

1. I have heard that there is no more 5.45x39 being imported anymore, but I had thought that the 7.62x39 is still coming in. The article says it is not coming in either. Any idea of what the actual case is (no pun intended)?

2. Andy, I know you have both an AK and a FAL. I want a FAL too. If you could only have one or the other, which would it be?

3. Bonus question: I know I've asked you this before, but advanced senility has obliterated the answer from my memory........is there anything a prospective AK buyer should be warned against when AK shopping?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Andy, Thanks for posting that. Very informative. Though I don't have an AK I shoot Federal Ammo in my hunting rifles; .270, .308 and .243. The difference in Federal Fusion and Power-Shok is interesting. I have some Fusion for the two .308's I have, but have never shot it. I typically buy the Premium Vitol-Shok, but have shot Power-Shok when I can't get the premium stuff. I noticed a small difference in accuracy between the two grades, but not significant enough to matter in my hunting situation of shots between 75and 200 yards. The .270 is a bolt action as is the .243, both Model 70 Winchesters. The .308's are a lever Winchester 88 and semi-auto. My youngest daughter's husband uses the semi-auto ( a old 742 Remington). He'd never shot a high power rifle and his first few outing's showed that. I let him buy some ammo to practice with and he got a couple boxes of Monarch. He was all over the map with the Monarch the first time he shot due to poor trigger discipline, recoil anticipation and poor cheek weld. We were using a Cowan Bench Rest. I shot three rounds with the Monarch at 100 yards just to see how it shot and all three rounds were touching. :shock: Whether a fluke or my superior shooting ability (tongue firmly against cheek) I had never achieved anything close to that, even with high quality Federal Premium with that 742. I'm sure everyone here on the forum has had similar surprises shooting what is considered poor ammo only to be surprised, so I guess the moral is as the article implied you just never know.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

I have an AK from way back a short DF model, a friend had some Lapua brass and loaded some with good bullets, hand swaged in J4 jackets in 7;62x39 and a bolt gun and my AK the groups at 100 were much better than anything I ever bought off the shelf especially with the bolt gun, I can say my AK has been 100% reliable since 1983 when I got it, we bought a case of 6 new and can still account for 5 of them with the original owners all consectively numbered. Many 1000's shot through it.
Stay Safe

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Andy I am just east of you maybe an hour come shoot with me anytime, bring them all with you.
Stay Safe

DEB

Post by DEB »

Lena wrote:I have an AK from way back a short DF model, a friend had some Lapua brass and loaded some with good bullets, hand swaged in J4 jackets in 7;62x39 and a bolt gun and my AK the groups at 100 were much better than anything I ever bought off the shelf especially with the bolt gun, I can say my AK has been 100% reliable since 1983 when I got it, we bought a case of 6 new and can still account for 5 of them with the original owners all consectively numbered. Many 1000's shot through it.
This is more knowledge based for me. Apologies up front, don't want to hijack the thread too hard but, I didn't even know one could purchase an AK series rifle in 1983. I was in the Military back then and had only handled the AK series rifle during our training in the FRG. Sure would have liked to have had one back then, the wife probably would have still put the kibosh to it, though. Do you or anyone else know when the AK series rifles could be first purchased by US civilians?
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

bulletslap

Post by bulletslap »

Andy's Kalashnikov has my secret accuracy trick applied to it, which involves a special divot applied to the receiver that reduces flex.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”