New rifle build

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Sidro
Posts in topic: 8

New rifle build

Post by Sidro »

I have been building .300 AAC Blackout AR rifles for my grandkids(3). Decided since they were getting new rifles I should get one. I have started a 6.5 Creedmoor buid on an AeroPrecision matched upper and lower with Hogue grip and MFT minimalist stock. 15" slim handguard, progressive muzzle brake and 18" X-Caliber SPR 1:8 twist bbl.

Are there any opinions out there whether I should use an adjustable gas block or not? It is set up for a carbine length gas tube. Pros and cons let me hear you opinions on gas block and rifle build.

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 5

Re: New rifle build

Post by maverick2076 »

I'd definitely go with an adjustable gas block. I'd also reconsider your stock. While I love my MFT Minimslist, I don't think it belongs on a precision rifle. I'd look at the Luth-AR MBA-1, or the 3 if you really want a collapsible stock.

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

This will be more of a daily carry(truck rifle) than a precision long distance rifle. Think 600 yds rather than 1100 yds most of the time. The Luth-AR MBA-1 looks good but may be a little overkill for my use. I appreciate the input.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

In that case, I'd at least look at something with a better cheek weld than the MFT. Maybe the Magpul STR or the B5 SOPMOD stock. I have a couple extra SOOMOD stocks. If it's a direction you are interested in going, I'd swap one for your MFT and throw it on one of my SBRs.

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

Adjustable gas block is a must for a creedmoor. I used the JP Enterprises Silent Capture buffer for mine.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

That silent buffer, along with their low mass BCG, is amazing.

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Thanks for the information guys, adjustable gas block is ordered and I already have an extra MFT stock so will start there. Anything that does not work can be changed later.

PBratton the Ruger 7mm mag I got from you is deadly accurate, I hope my new 6.5 build is comparable to it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sidro wrote:This will be more of a daily carry(truck rifle) than a precision long distance rifle. Think 600 yds rather than 1100 yds most of the time. The Luth-AR MBA-1 looks good but may be a little overkill for my use. I appreciate the input.
I have the MFT stock on my carbine/SBR lower (the SBR is .300 Blk by the way), and I like it a lot, but I agree with maverick2076 that if shooting out to 600 yards, I'd go with a stock with a good cheek weld. I like the VLTOR EMOD stock a lot and have one on my DMR, but almost any stock shaped like that with a better cheek rest would be OK. I am curious about the BCM Gunfighter stock, which has that general shape, and weighs just over half the weight of the VLTOR.

Here's what the VLTOR EMOD stock looks like:

Here's what the BCM Gunfighter stock looks like:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PBratton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PBratton »

Sidro wrote:Thanks for the information guys, adjustable gas block is ordered and I already have an extra MFT stock so will start there. Anything that does not work can be changed later.

PBratton the Ruger 7mm mag I got from you is deadly accurate, I hope my new 6.5 build is comparable to it.
Yes it is. The .308 has taken it's place, though sometimes I do miss the 7mm.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

PBratton wrote:
Sidro wrote:Thanks for the information guys, adjustable gas block is ordered and I already have an extra MFT stock so will start there. Anything that does not work can be changed later.

Yes it is. The .308 has taken it's place, though sometimes I do miss the 7mm.
My wife has the 7mm in her safe, it is her long range rifle for coyotes and hogs.

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Think I know what optics and mount I want but need input from ya'll on whether they will work or not. This scope Viper HST 6-24x50 VMR-1 (MOA) Reticle | 30mm Tube and this mount Vortex Cantilever Ring Mount for 30mm Tube, 2in Offset CM-202. Will get custom turrets from Kenton Industries.

Give me your opinions or other ideas.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Good scope. If you are going to be carrying this rifle at all I would highly consider one of Aero Precision's Ultralight mounts. They are good, solid mounts, and they are by far the lightest ones on the market. An AR-10 is already heavy, and so is a big, variable scope. Save some weight where you can.

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

maverick2076 wrote:Good scope. If you are going to be carrying this rifle at all I would highly consider one of Aero Precision's Ultralight mounts. They are good, solid mounts, and they are by far the lightest ones on the market. An AR-10 is already heavy, and so is a big, variable scope. Save some weight where you can.

How far above rail does the Aero mount put the center of your scope? Can not find this info anywhere.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

About the same as other scope mounts I've tried. I'm out of town or I'd measure it for you.

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Thanks for the input, found what I needed to know. Aero SPR mount is on the way.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”