Engraving Recommendations

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
twjones
Posts in topic: 3

Engraving Recommendations

Post by twjones »

Would you folks kindly recommend engravers for the SBR I'm going to build?

Also, do you wait until you have your stamp to engrave or can I do it while I'm waiting to get approved?

Thanks.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Engraving Recommendations

Post by The Annoyed Man »

twjones wrote:Would you folks kindly recommend engravers for the SBR I'm going to build?

Also, do you wait until you have your stamp to engrave or can I do it while I'm waiting to get approved?

Thanks.
I waited until I had my stamp. I don't know if I could recommend the same guy I used. He did a "legal" job, but he did it free-hand. It's better than I could have done free-hand, but it looks like it was done free-hand and isn't as nicely done as the rest of the info on the Spike's Tactical Gun II Billet lower. He showed me a couple of pistols on which he had done some very nice decorative engraving, but for just plain text, his work wasn't really very satisfactory...... to me.....but maybe I'm just picky. Like I said, it was legal.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

twjones wrote:Would you folks kindly recommend engravers for the SBR I'm going to build?

Thanks.
Laser engraved on the magwell lip (if It's an AR) is nice if they've got a powerful enough laser. Are you looking for something around League City?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

http://www.nfainvestments.com

He uses a rotary pantograph, and it comes out looking sharp. Nice deep marking that looks like it's supposed to be there.

For a "normal" AR lower, I've seen recommendations to get it engraved before filing the Form 1, in case the engraver messes up (or you give him the wrong info). Most lowers are cheaper than the stamp is.

If you've already submitted, then there really isn't any reason you need to wait.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Odiferous wrote:http://www.nfainvestments.com

He uses a rotary pantograph, and it comes out looking sharp. Nice deep marking that looks like it's supposed to be there.

For a "normal" AR lower, I've seen recommendations to get it engraved before filing the Form 1, in case the engraver messes up (or you give him the wrong info). Most lowers are cheaper than the stamp is.

If you've already submitted, then there really isn't any reason you need to wait.
+1 on NFA investments, they are in Conroe. Best to contact by phone and make an appointment. Worth the drive IMHO. Done in 5-10 minutes while I waited and watched. Looks great and he refinishes surface perfectly. I had an already completed lower and there was no need to disassemble with this rotary pantograph method.

Personally, I waited until form 1 came back approved. Just in case I decided to withdraw stamp application.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Just curious and trying to learn something.

What information are you engraving on these weapons?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

Using a Form 1 to turn a manufactured firearm into an SBR should require that you add the name of the maker (usually "LASTNAME TRUST"), which must match the Form 1, and the city and state where it was/will be made (not asked for on Form 1).

The "making", for an AR pistol, amounts to sliding on a stock. In my interpretation, that allows some creative flexibility when you consider the names of towns you'd be willing to drive to.

Topic author
twjones

Post by twjones »

Scott B. wrote:

Thanks.
Laser engraved on the magwell lip (if It's an AR) is nice if they've got a powerful enough laser. Are you looking for something around League City?
Scott: around League City would be nice; however, I'm not against sending it to the right folks.

Although, I guess there's another question... can I send my lower through the mail or do I have to go through an FFL?

Thank you everyone.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I've had all mine done by Ident in Rockwall, TX. I was able to use their walk-in service, but even mailing it to them is pretty painless. They do laser engraving that is top notch.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

twjones wrote:
Scott B. wrote:

Thanks.
Scott: around League City would be nice; however, I'm not against sending it to the right folks.

Although, I guess there's another question... can I send my lower through the mail or do I have to go through an FFL?

Thank you everyone.
You can mail directly to a manufacturer or FFL - as long as you live in a relatively free state. Some of the common carriers for our brethren behind enemy lines don't think so though.

Since it's not a pistol, you can use USPS. A stripped lower fits nicely in a small, 'if it fits it ships', USPS box and will be your cheapest option.

http://www.laseredgeengraving.com is good from what I hear. I've also used http://newworldordnance.com/engraving/
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
twjones

Post by twjones »

Odiferous wrote:http://www.nfainvestments.com

Just got back home a few hours ago from visiting Keith. He did an outstanding job! I would highly recommend. :fire

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”