Remington 870 pictures w/few "mods"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 5

Remington 870 pictures w/few "mods"

Post by parabelum »

Couple of pictures of my "truck shotgun" Remington 870 express Magnum. Started off with base 870 "tactical" and replaced the factory stock with hogue tamer, added 7rd archangel shell holder, FAB defense forend with magpul collapsible front grip.
Came factory with 7rd tube, or six 3" shells.

Shoots great, I'll just need to add better sights and maybe a light. Great for trimming trees too. :thumbs2:

Right now I have around $550 in this setup, and I just wanted to share with those interested. I just wanted something that costs less then my KSG, is reliable and customizable.

Oh, I do think that the safety on moss 500 on top is better then 870, but that's not a biggie.

:cheers2:

Couldn't resist to throw in few Sigs in there...

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Remington 870 pictures w/few "mods"

Post by Jusme »

Good looking set up. I'm not a fan of the pistol grip, but that's just my preference. With the pistol grip, the top mounted safety, is not as easy to operate anyway. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Thank you sir.

I might put a collapsible stock on if I can find one that is quality , and that fits into the budget. Pistol grip is actually very nice, I didn't think I'd like it but it sure is better on the shoulder, especially with 3" slugs :mrgreen:

I'm a weenie...sporting a nice ol' bruise from about a week ago. :grumble

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've never shot a pistol grip shotty. Looks great. How painful is it in your hand?
I wonder how much using a hand vs shoulder affects muzzle velocity and terminal performance?
I'd assume not a huge difference at close range.

I need to pick up an extended tube for my 870P.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I'm just the opposite, my shoulder can take it better than my wrist. :cryin

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I have Shrek hands, so it feels much better with the Hogue Tamer pistol grip to me then with the factory stock.

With pistol grip I am able to get a fairly decent aim at close range, roughly 7 yards, fire hot load without flinching too much, and I am able to allow the recoil to travel "away" rather then a sharp kick on the shoulder.

No matter how I held it before, with 3" shells I'd get a very unpleasant jolt on the shoulder, much more then with a #1 in .375 h&h to compare. Not a fan. After two rounds or so the flinch factor would go up and accuracy / enjoyment would go down.

Pistol grip allows me to enjoy hot loads much more!

Not sure about muzzle velocity and tp, but the intent of this setup for me is distances less then 20 yards or so. I presume, based on few watermelons and tree stumps, that the performance is adequate. :mrgreen:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

RoyGBiv wrote:I've never shot a pistol grip shotty. Looks great. How painful is it in your hand?
I wonder how much using a hand vs shoulder affects muzzle velocity and terminal performance?

If I can find it, I still have a pistol grip for a Mossberg 500, that I will gladly give someone, I don't plan to ever shoot with it again. :tiphat:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:I've never shot a pistol grip shotty. Looks great. How painful is it in your hand?

If I can find it, I still have a pistol grip for a Mossberg 500, that I will gladly give someone, I don't plan to ever shoot with it again. :tiphat:
No thank you. :mrgreen: However, if you have a Magpul SGA buttstock and M-lock forend, I'll gladly accept your donation. :lol:

I'll be ordering a set for myself when I get back from my CA trip.

Parabellum, I don't know if the ghost ring rear sight would work well for a pistol grip shotgun, but XS Sight Systems makes a big dot tritium front sight that is really nice. I have the whole XS system, with a rail-mounted rear ghost ring sight, and the Big Dot front on my 590A1. I like it yugely. They offer several sight options for Remington 870s: https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8270
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

TAM,

Thanks for the link!

Right now the limiting factor for me, besides my lack of intelligence of course, is that I'd be looking at $300+ setup with the rail and XS Big Dot.

Maybe I can go with the front only, a $142 option, but then I'm at $700 with this 870, and I was trying to just have a "more affordable" truck scattergun. :???:

I just need more money, plain and simple. "rlol"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote:TAM,

Thanks for the link!

Right now the limiting factor for me, besides my lack of intelligence of course, is that I'd be looking at $300+ setup with the rail and XS Big Dot.

Maybe I can go with the front only, a $142 option, but then I'm at $700 with this 870, and I was trying to just have a "more affordable" truck scattergun. :???:

I just need more money, plain and simple. "rlol"
Rail with ghost ring and big dot front is $192, not $300. Still significant money, but also a lot less than $300. https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PR ... 8&CAT=8270
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Oh, I misread the package. $192 for all is not bad at all actually. Very tempting!

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

My wife loves our Mossberg with pistol grip. Every time she shoots it she's like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, oh, oh, oh!! :smilelol5: "rlol"

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Nice set up for Truck!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

parabelum wrote: I might put a collapsible stock on if I can find one that is quality ,
I purchased and installed an ATI Talon T2 Shotgun collapsible stock for my WIn 1300 Defender.
It works well to adjust between my wifes comfortable position and mine.
its held up to bumps and jostles of banging around the house into and out of the safe to its..."home" position, to the range and back....and 25 boxes of training shells , plus 2 dozen buck and a dozen slugs.. Certainly not a long term test,,, but enough to tell its not junk.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”