Talk me into (or out of) one of these...

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Talk me into (or out of) one of these...

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

So I just picked up a lower receiver without any plans because of a sale that was posted on here. Since I had no real plan in mind for it, I've been tossing around...
- Build a pistol in 300blk, 10.5" barrel or so
- Build a pistol in 300blk, 10.5" barrel or so and convert to SBR (Is the stock worth it? I'm really split on whether or not it is...)
- Build a rifle in 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC and a 20" barrel or so

The first two would obviously be for closer range fare, I think maxing out around 250yds or so. I played with the idea of .458 SOCOM, but then I looked at the cost of ammo. It would be really cool to fling 500 grain projectiles out of an AR-15 pattern rifle, but dang!
The last one would be for reaching out a bit further; but the most I think I would ever shoot is 200-300 yds at this point in my addiction, ahem, I mean hobby.

Right now, I've got a .223 AR with a 16" barrel. I'm no hunter, I just like to plink and participate in action matches a time or two a month. I really like the idea of being able to load 300 blackout with converted .223/5.56 brass. I think that .300 is also probably about as common as .223 just from browsing ammo shelves. I think that 6.5 or 6.8 brass will be a bit harder to come by.

I also think if I go the .300 route, a can is a distinct possibility...

Anyone care to weigh in?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Talk me into (or out of) one of these...

Post by maverick2076 »

No point in .300 BLK unless you are going to suppress it. Build it as a pistol, SBR it, and then build a Form 1 can for it.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Build a 6.5 Creedmoor upper (rifle) if you want to reach out and touch some steel. Build a .300 AAC (Blackout), 9-10" pistol and run suppressed if you want nighttime stealth. Or BOTH! :evil2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I thought 6.5 Creedmoor was too big for a standard pattern AR-15, or am I mistaken?

and yes, a .300blk will necessitate a can for use with subsonic if I go that route. I mean, if I'm going to have one NFA stamp, whats another one? :lol::
And yeah, I'd Form 1 it as well. I built my first AR, I'm going to build the second AR, and I'll build (well, assemble) the can for it. Because I like building stuff.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I thought 6.5 Creedmoor was too big for a standard pattern AR-15, or am I mistaken?

and yes, a .300blk will necessitate a can for use with subsonic if I go that route. I mean, if I'm going to have one NFA stamp, whats another one? :lol::
And yeah, I'd Form 1 it as well. I built my first AR, I'm going to build the second AR, and I'll build (well, assemble) the can for it. Because I like building stuff.
Sorry, my oversight. You are correct. A 6.5 CR would require an AR-10 lower.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

I have a .300 Blackout pistol with 8 1/2" bbl and Sig-brace. It also has a picatinny riser with 3x9x40mm scope on top of the riser and 45 degree angle flip up iron sights. It is fun to shoot, accurate and makes a very nice compact package. Since the ATF has deemed that shouldering the Sig-brace does not make this a sbr it is a daily carry in my truck.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Funny, I just got one of those lowers too. Then I ordered a Odin works 6.5 Grendel 20" barrel ,bcg and gass block kit from Joe bobs for 349 shipped. I was thinking about a 458 socom too but wanted a a long range cartridge more.
Last edited by Nuts on Wed May 31, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

Double post

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

My wife and I both have a 300 BO with a 9.5" barrel, Shockwave brace. Nice and compact and falls under our LTC, important as my wife works at a school. They are our vehicle guns carried in a Hazard 4 Takedown. Suppressors are on the list.

My decision for the 300 was the desire to have a vehicle rifle. At first I was looking at just putting together basic 5.56 ARs and calling it good. Then I realized that rifles don't fall under LTC if you're in the FGFZ around a school. That shifted me to an AR pistol in a rifle caliber. I've shot a few 5.56 pistol and the concussion and sound were pretty unpleasant. A little research bumped me over to the BO. 30/30, 7.69x39 performance in a compact package is nice. Still far from hearing safe unsuppressed the blast is much more tolerable with the KAK Flashcan sending most of the blast forward. Since the BO cartridge was designed to burn all the powder in the barrel there is not a fireball and related blast. With subsonic ammo and a suppressor the BO really starts to shine. I may end up SBRing them but with the decision regarding arm braces that moves down on the list.

If you're looking for a vehicle gun in a rifle caliber I'd say the BO is hard to beat.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”