Win .44 Mag Velocity from a 20" Barrel

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 1

Win .44 Mag Velocity from a 20" Barrel

Post by Crash »

Remington doesn't list the velocities from a 20" barrel for their .44 mag 240 gr soft point and semi-jacketed hollow points on their website. Anybody know what they are?

Grazie,

Crash

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Win .44 Mag Velocity from a 20" Barrel

Post by puma guy »

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keep in mind that those ballistics are only valid for general knowledge's sake, and may have no bearing on how the given cartridge will perform in your gun. There's nothing wrong with using published figures like that to "guesstimate" what a cartridge's performance will be like in your own gun, but ever since I bought myself a MagnetoSpeed chronograph, it's been pretty interesting to see how velocities vary between what is published, and what I'm actually obtaining right at the muzzle. That is one of the virtues of the MagnetoSpeed product (although it is danged expensive) is that you get the velocities right at the muzzle, and not 10' down range. Anyway, now I know what the terminal ballistics performance will be like, which is the part that really matters......especially for handloads, where I can choose a bullet that will perform best at the true velocities being obtained in my rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Keep in mind that those ballistics are only valid for general knowledge's sake, and may have no bearing on how the given cartridge will perform in your gun. There's nothing wrong with using published figures like that to "guesstimate" what a cartridge's performance will be like in your own gun, but ever since I bought myself a MagnetoSpeed chronograph, it's been pretty interesting to see how velocities vary between what is published, and what I'm actually obtaining right at the muzzle. That is one of the virtues of the MagnetoSpeed product (although it is danged expensive) is that you get the velocities right at the muzzle, and not 10' down range. Anyway, now I know what the terminal ballistics performance will be like, which is the part that really matters......especially for handloads, where I can choose a bullet that will perform best at the true velocities being obtained in my rifle.
:iagree:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”