RRA LAR-8 X1 series

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 5

RRA LAR-8 X1 series

Post by parabelum »

I have come across one in FDE and it looks really nice and has a really nice feel to it, and it appears to be well put together.

Now of course there is the little political issue that I am not too happy with respect to rock river arms, and they use FAL style magazines, which may or may not be a deal-breaker.

Question I have for those who either have one or have handled one of these, what are your thoughts on the X one series rock river arms AR10?

What would you consider a fair price point that you just can't pass up, realistically?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: RRA LAR-8 X1 series

Post by The Annoyed Man »

FAL style magazines are pretty well made. The question is whether or not they are using metric or imperial pattern FAL mags. One is common and relatively inexpensive, and the other, not so much. My SCAR 17S uses magazines that are almost identical to FAL mags (which a slight modification so that FN can charge a lot more for proprietary mags :grumble ), and I find them to be very high quality. Obviously, an AR10 platform rifle that uses STANAG compliant magazines has a slight advantage in terms of variety of choices, but if you are restricted to FAL mags, I wouldn't worry about the quality too much.

As to quality, RR uses very good barrels. Their 2 stage match trigger is also very good. I can't speak to the rest of the rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Here is an American Rifleman article about LAR-8 rifles: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... -operator/
Rock River Arms originally designed and patented the system back in 2005. At the time, both AR-10 and SR-25 magazines were scarce and expensive, so Rock River designed its own AR-10-style rifle around a more abundant and affordable magazine. For that purpose, it chose the 20-round box magazine used in the FN-FAL, which was readily available and priced as low as $5 each. [Emphasis mine - TAM]
....and.....
With the LAR-8, the choice of the FN-FAL magazine created the opportunity for a pair of significant ergonomic improvements. First, is an ambidextrous magazine release consisting of two fenced buttons mirrored on both sides of the lower receiver. Second is the bolt stop lever located between the magazine well and the trigger guard. It is ambidextrous as well and can be activated with the trigger finger.
The LAR-8 will accept metric- or inch-pattern magazines as well as current-production Rock River magazines.
The choice of the FN-FAL magazine offers some nice ergonomic touches, such as the ambidextrous bolt stop and magazine release, but it also makes for a significantly longer, bulkier and heavier .308 Win. rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Thank you for the information TAM!

I think I'll jump on it, and forever hide my face in shame because I said I'd never own RRA product due to their shenanigans in IL :grumble

But at this price, I'd be a fool not to get it, plus, even though I'm not lefty, this one appears to be as ambidextrous as you can get in an AR10. And the bolt release at the bottom where the magwell is, that's pretty accessible and appears easy to operate from both sides.

Looks like mags are available anywhere in the $25-$30 a piece range, and I just saw a box of 20rds of 180gr federal soft point at Walmart for $17.45/box, and that's not too bad. :waiting:

I really haven't seen many bad reviews of the rifle, nothing better or worse then Ruger's SR762, even though Ruger is piston and RRA is gas.

The barrel is 18" cryogenically treated 1:10 twist with a beefy muzzle brake. I like that, even though I'm not sure if it actually has that much benefit, if any, over anything else.

The stock on the one that I'm looking at is fixed, minor nuisance but, I did check the fit and for me it is nice, I'm 6'2"/215lbs with average wingspan. I could see maybe replacing it with a different stock at some point, maybe.

Hmm...
Last edited by parabelum on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I ended up getting it, it was too good of a price for me to pass up. One thing, the mag release is a bit stiff, hope it loosens up over time. It came without sights, I did have some tan flip up sights that I put on. Scope will have to wait until my finances recover.

Case it came in was pretty nice, hard shell blue case with upper/lower detached, papers etc. Has a very nice "hunter" muzzle brake. I'll see in few days how it handles. It is a bit hefty, not too bad, little over 9lbs, so the recoil should be very pleasant.

Last edited by parabelum on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Now, I'm just gonna sit in shame for getting RRA though I despised their sellout in IL. :grumble

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Good looking set up. Remember RRA had already been paid for the gun, if no one had bought it, the FFL dealer would have been stuck with it. The only way any boycott will affect RRA will be if distributors, and FFL dealers stop buying. Of course by buying it, you give the FFL dealer a reason to re-order another one. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Man, that looks like a sweet rifle!

Try and find some Black Hills 175 grain SMK match ammo for that 1:10 barrel. I'll bet you're going to be pleased.

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I've had my RRA X1 in 458 SOCOM for a few years and have been very pleased with it.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Thank you gentleman!

I have some 180gr federal soft point already that I am planning on running through the rifle, hope I get the chance to shoot/report back within few days.

TAM,

I'll check out Black Hills 175gr SMK match ammo as well! :thumbs2:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”