Rear or mid beads?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Rear or mid beads?

Post by C-dub »

I'm looking into a 12ga O/U and have run into something I don't know anything about again.

Beads! The two shotguns I have only have a front bead/fiber optic. A couple of the ones I'm looking at getting have a rear or mid bead in addition the front bead. I don't think I've ever seen one with more tan just the front. I've found a little information on the subject and it seems to boil down being a similar subject to asking which caliber is best.

I'm considering going with one that has either the rear or mid bead just to try it out and see if it helps make me better. I suppose if it doesn't then I can just ignore it or remove it and keep only the front like I currently have.

Do any of ya'll have any experience or knowledge with shotguns that have a front and mid or rear bead? What do you think about them?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jusme

Re: Rear or mid beads?

Post by Jusme »

I am left eye dominant, but right handed. Until I got my Mossberg 500 with a vent ribbed barrel with a middle bead, my shooting was abysmal. The second bead makes my eye automatically drawn to it and has dramatically improved my shooting at clays, and dove. Your results my vary, but I won't go back to shooting without one. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

My Mossberg 500c has a ventrib barrel with the mid barrel bead and I shoot it considerably better at clays than another gun with only a front bead. My HD 12 gauge only has a front bead but I don't ever expect to use it at small very fast targets, anothe option I found lately is a see all open sight. It works similar to a red dot but without as much height, friend ordered one the other day we are going to try it out as soon as we can.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

rotor

Post by rotor »

When I shoot clays I line up the front bead and mid bead while the gun is in my shoulder and don't look at the beads again but follow the clays. Works for me.

flechero

Post by flechero »

The mid bead is very useful in learning (or confirming) that you are lined up. Once you have established a consistent shoulder mount and cheek weld, things get much easier. I wish I had a mid bead when learning... once you shoot well you really won't notice if it's 1 or 2 beads, as they will align and appear as 1 bead anyway, if you consciously see them at all. ;-)

I wouldn't buy a gun based on the bead(s). If you want them, they can be added by any competent gunsmith at little cost... if you don't, they can be removed.

couzin

Post by couzin »

As above, only useful the first time you shoulder the gun or the first time after stock adjustments. When buying, low ready the gun and pick a point about 20 or 30 yards away and focus on just it. Now snap the gun to your cheek and shoulder pocket in one quick move (pheasant just bust up in front of you quick). If those sights aren't figure eighted right on that point, then the gun will need some adjustment or you need to look at other models or brands.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”