New SBR build

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
maverick2076
Posts in topic: 5

New SBR build

Post by maverick2076 »

After just over a year, he ATF finally granted me permission to build one of my new SBR's. This one is a 10.5" barrel 5.56mm build. As a southpaw, the right side charger fits me, and I'll be adding an ambi safety and mag release to it. I'll probably put a different optic on it as well, but the FF3 wasn't being used at the moment and was free, so I figured it would work for now. I'll get it out to the range next Friday and find out for sure, but I think I'm going to really like the Hera Arms CQR stock set. It is very handy and solid.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: New SBR build

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What kind of upper/charging system did you use? BTW, you might want to edit your photo to remove the name of your trust, which is visible on the trigger guard.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

It's a Bear Creek Arsenal upper and BCG. I've used on before on my 18" build and I like it.

The Annoyed Man

I'll have to check it out. I'm on the verge of building another carbine. I have a SCAR 17, and I really like the side charging handle. The only thing is, I am left handed, so I don't know how comfortable I'd be with the charging handle coming that far back. The SCAR's is mounted further forward and doesn't come back as far under recoil.

Two questions...

1. Have you tried firing yours left handed to see if it is too close for comfort?

2. Am I correct that at full retraction, the charging handle is located about where the case deflector would be on a standard M4 upper?

EDIT: I just reread your OP and see that you're left handed, so I guess my two questions are moot! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

I'll be honest, I don't even notice the charging handle moving when I shoot it. Its really no different than an AK.

You can find them for good prices. I think I caught this upper with BCG on sale for $139ish.

As a lefty, I really like it. Once I add an ambi safety and mag release my firing hand should never have to leave the grip.

The Annoyed Man

maverick2076 wrote:I'll be honest, I don't even notice the charging handle moving when I shoot it. Its really no different than an AK.

You can find them for good prices. I think I caught this upper with BCG on sale for $139ish.

As a lefty, I really like it. Once I add an ambi safety and mag release my firing hand should never have to leave the grip.
Yeah, I don't notice the motion of the charging handle on the SCAR either. The SCAR is engineered such that the lack of a dust cover does not pose a reliability problem. Does the Bear Creek bolt carrier have a shield of some kind on it to keep debris out of the action when the bolt is in battery?

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

IT does not. I haven't had an issue with it, but I haven't pushed that rifle really hard yet either, and I haven't gotten to shoot the SBR yet.

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

is it actually a requirement to engrave the trust info? i read so much conflicting information on another forum regarding that when i built mine but played it safe and did it anyway.

i want to build another one but havent gotten up on the new laws yet.

cyphur
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphur »

rentz wrote:is it actually a requirement to engrave the trust info? i read so much conflicting information on another forum regarding that when i built mine but played it safe and did it anyway.

Good luck with that. Best bet is to write the ATF and have a letter in hand if you don't want to engrave. You'll still need to engrave before selling it.

Or spend $25 at a local engraver while you wait and skip the hassle. Laser engraving is super quick and pretty cheap.

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

cyphur wrote:
rentz wrote:is it actually a requirement to engrave the trust info? i read so much conflicting information on another forum regarding that when i built mine but played it safe and did it anyway.

Good luck with that. Best bet is to write the ATF and have a letter in hand if you don't want to engrave. You'll still need to engrave before selling it.

Or spend $25 at a local engraver while you wait and skip the hassle. Laser engraving is super quick and pretty cheap.
pretty much what i did last time, though i think i paid more than that to get it engraved.

so stupid that we have to jump through all these hoops, like im going to get a stamp and engrave my lower and start robbing banks and doing drivebys :banghead:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

rentz wrote:
cyphur wrote:

pretty much what i did last time, though i think i paid more than that to get it engraved.

so stupid that we have to jump through all these hoops, like im going to get a stamp and engrave my lower and start robbing banks and doing drivebys :banghead:

But don't you know that way they can "trace" it if you do start doing those things. Oh wait, not if they don't have the gun, or any way to tie you to the crime, Oh, well, I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it, otherwise the government wouldn't require it right? :rules:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

So, as a follow up, I'm really happy with this build. I did add the ambi mag release and safety, which makes for an easy to handle package. This stock and foregrip combo is great. You really get a lot of control on the rifle. It handles especially well when suppressed. I'm not 100% satisfied with having the micro reflex sight on it, so that will probably change eventually, but it works for now.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”