New to Me rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 8

New to Me rifle

Post by E.Marquez »

I had an AR platform rifle for a lot of years, 28 plus.
Carried it to Panama, to Iraq twice, to Afghanistan twice, and many other places along the way.
M16, M16A1, A2, A3, A4, M4.. Shot point blank range to 800 plus meters. Confirmed hit, man sized target at 560 meters open sights and barrel to chest. For all the criticizing the rifle gets, it works.

I decided some time ago, there needed to be one in the collection for both HD and general use. Did not need to be a SPEC OPS Tacticool version, nor a Three gun "Race Gun" or even a scoped Tac driver a skilled marksmen with decent eyes (IOW not this guy anymore) could hit a 4" target 1st round at 800 meters.
No, I needed essentially a service rifle.
So I started searching, and found one by shear luck today that met me needs and wants.
Priced well under going street price for a used gun like equipped. I found a like new outside and so little wear inside I had to look hard for signs of use. Sig M400 . Came with Magpul MOE furniture and stock stuff. One Mag and all the gear that Sig sent it with.
New rifle Sig M400.jpg
Add the dozen P pags I had already from my Army days, all the 5.56 cleaning gear I can ever use and a Vickers sling much like the one I was issued on my last deployment and Im a happy camper.
There will be an SBR suppressed in 300blk in the near future (trust process started today), they will be a longer range AR in 308 down the road,,,and there will be additions to this M400 before weeks end (ACOG or Reflex optic I have not yet decided I used both and liked both for different reasons (uses) just need to decide what fits my use now better)

So I have now tip toed into the AR platform privet ownership pool. The waters fine, warm and cuddly..come on in if you have not already. :anamatedbanana
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New to Me rifle

Post by strogg »

Congratulations on your find. It looks pretty sleek. That's just about the way I like my ARs too: Nice and simple and to the point with a smidgen of tasteful customization.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

strogg wrote:Congratulations on your find. It looks pretty sleek. That's just about the way I like my ARs too: Nice and simple and to the point with a smidgen of tasteful customization.
Ya Im not looking to make it a TactACool bells and whistles . Id like it to go bang when I press the trigger, and assuming I align the sights Id like it to hot the intended target each time. Thats all I want.
It will get an optic of one version or another a suppressor and thats about it unless there is a part that wears out of fails.
I have already bought the barrel for my next AR platform gun..Noveske 300 Blackout Barrel - 8.5 w/ HS Bolt.
As soon as trust is done (end of week) and tax stamps applied for, I'll finish up research and purchase plans for two suppressors. One for the Noveske
300blk gun to be built, and one for this M400
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Chuck Norris approves of your new rifle
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Sounds like a plan! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

IMG_8615.JPG
Aimpoint Pro Patrol Optic
And Vickers 221 sling with RED swivel

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

Very nice. Good choice on the RDS.

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The Marshal wrote:Very nice. Good choice on the RDS.
Pardon my ignorance but
"RDS"
Rifle Detachable Sling?
Rifle Defense Sight?
Really Delectable Shooter?
If you meant the sling, then thanks// I was introduced to the Vickers design, by Larry Vickers when he and his team came to instruct a course for a few of us before deployment. Used one of his first slings 2007-2008 Iraq and been a fan ever since.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

E.Marquez wrote:
The Marshal wrote:Very nice. Good choice on the RDS.
Pardon my ignorance but
"RDS"
Rifle Detachable Sling?
Rifle Defense Sight?
Really Delectable Shooter?
If you meant the sling, then thanks// I was introduced to the Vickers design, by Larry Vickers when he and his team came to instruct a course for a few of us before deployment. Used one of his first slings 2007-2008 Iraq and been a fan ever since.

Maybe Red Dot Sight????
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Jusme wrote: Maybe Red Dot Sight????
Ding, well that was pretty obvious now that you mention it.... :oops:

Yes I feel very comfortable with the Aimpoint, it is an optic I trusted my life to and works as advertised to great effects on target.
its not the latest gizmo newest tech and not to the liking of all....but it brings confidence and shots on target, so its good enough for me.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

Sorry, yes "Red Dot Sight" is correct.
I understand the Aimpoint Pro (Patrol Rifle Optic) allows you to leave on the Optic for 3 years before needing to change the battery.
That is outstanding.
I would have purchased this one myself, except that I found the Meprolight RDS for less (Not anymore!) and it is also smaller.
But I recommend the PRO to my LEO friends for the always on feature.
And I too buy the Vickers slings for my rifles.

How is the Trigger?

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

E.Marquez wrote:I had an AR platform rifle for a lot of years, 28 plus.
Carried it to Panama, to Iraq twice, to Afghanistan twice, and many other places along the way.
M16, M16A1, A2, A3, A4, M4.. Shot point blank range to 800 plus meters. Confirmed hit, man sized target at 560 meters open sights and barrel to chest. For all the criticizing the rifle gets, it works.

I decided some time ago, there needed to be one in the collection for both HD and general use. Did not need to be a SPEC OPS Tacticool version, nor a Three gun "Race Gun" or even a scoped Tac driver a skilled marksmen with decent eyes (IOW not this guy anymore) could hit a 4" target 1st round at 800 meters.
No, I needed essentially a service rifle.
So I started searching, and found one by shear luck today that met me needs and wants.
Priced well under going street price for a used gun like equipped. I found a like new outside and so little wear inside I had to look hard for signs of use. Sig M400 . Came with Magpul MOE furniture and stock stuff. One Mag and all the gear that Sig sent it with.
New rifle Sig M400.jpg
Add the dozen P pags I had already from my Army days, all the 5.56 cleaning gear I can ever use and a Vickers sling much like the one I was issued on my last deployment and Im a happy camper.
There will be an SBR suppressed in 300blk in the near future (trust process started today), they will be a longer range AR in 308 down the road,,,and there will be additions to this M400 before weeks end (ACOG or Reflex optic I have not yet decided I used both and liked both for different reasons (uses) just need to decide what fits my use now better)

So I have now tip toed into the AR platform privet ownership pool. The waters fine, warm and cuddly..come on in if you have not already. :anamatedbanana
:thewave I want a "service rifle" quality weapon for my next AR. I'll definitely look at the Sig M400.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Other than it being a Sig, it looks just like my BIL's Colt. Nice carbine. Although, IDK about that 4" circle at 800y on the first shot. If you can do it, :tiphat:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

C-dub wrote: Although, IDK about that 4" circle at 800y on the first shot. If you can do it, :tiphat:
I can and have hit E type steel and paper silhouettes at 400-800 meters with am Aimpoint.
No it is not the optic of choice for that..and not what I used when consistent longer shots were the norm, had an ACOG for that.

I have 10 AC of that the house is on the upper 4AC, all fenced and with a gate closed at all times.. from front door to the farthest point on the upper property is 365 feet.... and that to point range is the requirement for this rifle.
I have an savage 110 in .338 Lapua, Kimber in .338 Win Mag, and a Remington 700 in .300 win mag for longer distances this rifle and the SBR suppressed in .300BLK to be built in the near future have much shorter ranges in the task list.

Im on the hunt for an ACOG as well, to add to the pile.... as a stand by for this rifle or another as needed should the need arise.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”