mossberg shockwave

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RGB
Posts in topic: 2

mossberg shockwave

Post by RGB »

Since the shockwave is classified as a firearm, can I carry {posses] it the same as a shotgun or a pistol ?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Re: mossberg shockwave

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The classification is based on the ATF's belief that it is not easily concealable, and Mossberg advises you not to conceal it on their web site, so I think the only restriction would be on carrying it concealed.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Currently Texas law prohibits possession of the Shockwave, but all that changes on September 1, 2017 with passage of a bill in the regular Texas Legislative Session. I can't recall the bill number off hand, but I believe it was an amendment added to specifically address these weapons; Remington makes a similar shotgun, the Tac 14 870. Both shotguns will be legal to possess assuming you can legally possess a firearm.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deltaboy »

Cowboy Duster and a Shoulder strap and your set as of Sept 2017!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Topic author
RGB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RGB »

Thanks for the response. I don't have a LTC, so carrying concealed is not an option. I understand carrying (a pistol) in a vehicle, it has be concealed. If carrying as a shotgun it does not have to be concealed. I also, understand that I can legally conceal a pistol in a vehicle. The difference is when I carry on my motorcycle. A shotgun I can carry in a scabbard with the stock showing. Again thanks.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

....or, you could just get your LTC......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

puma guy wrote:Currently Texas law prohibits possession of the Shockwave, but all that changes on September 1, 2017 with passage of a bill in the regular Texas Legislative Session. I can't recall the bill number off hand, but I believe it was an amendment added to specifically address these weapons; Remington makes a similar shotgun, the Tac 14 870. Both shotguns will be legal to possess assuming you can legally possess a firearm.
Not to nitpick here but the Texas AG has not ruled one way or the other. Current Texas law is ambiguous at best, so I don't think it is accurate to say that current Texas law "prohibits" possession of the Shockwave. It doesn't expressly permit it, and it doesn't expressly prohibit it. There are plenty of shops in Texas selling these today. This will all be a moot point in a few weeks.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

RGB wrote:Thanks for the response. I don't have a LTC, so carrying concealed is not an option. I understand carrying (a pistol) in a vehicle, it has be concealed. If carrying as a shotgun it does not have to be concealed. I also, understand that I can legally conceal a pistol in a vehicle. The difference is when I carry on my motorcycle. A shotgun I can carry in a scabbard with the stock showing. Again thanks.
It is legal in texas to conceal and carry a shotgun or othe long gun.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
puma guy wrote:Currently Texas law prohibits possession of the Shockwave, but all that changes on September 1, 2017 with passage of a bill in the regular Texas Legislative Session. I can't recall the bill number off hand, but I believe it was an amendment added to specifically address these weapons; Remington makes a similar shotgun, the Tac 14 870. Both shotguns will be legal to possess assuming you can legally possess a firearm.
Not to nitpick here but the Texas AG has not ruled one way or the other. Current Texas law is ambiguous at best, so I don't think it is accurate to say that current Texas law "prohibits" possession of the Shockwave. It doesn't expressly permit it, and it doesn't expressly prohibit it. There are plenty of shops in Texas selling these today. This will all be a moot point in a few weeks.
But do you want to be "the test case"? :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ScottDLS wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
But do you want to be "the test case"? :smilelol5:

Apparently the legislators interpreted the law as disallowing them and remedied that. With some of the AG's opinions on what constitutes a school or a government owned building or an amusement park, etc. for rulings on improper posting of 30.06/.07 ambiguity seems to give the "push" to the state. I'm waiting until September 1 to pick mine up. My FFL won't release it 'til then, anyway.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Must kick like a mule. Watched hickock45 on youtube and nothing bothers him but slugs?? Just got a Maverick 88 18 inch barrel on sale at Academy and will try out this weekend with some 00 buckshot. Let us know how this handles. I have an old mule kicker 12g Remington Sportsman that is no fun. All my other shotguns are virtually no kick. Beretta xcel A400 really no kick.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

rotor wrote:Must kick like a mule. Watched hickock45 on youtube and nothing bothers him but slugs?? Just got a Maverick 88 18 inch barrel on sale at Academy and will try out this weekend with some 00 buckshot. Let us know how this handles. I have an old mule kicker 12g Remington Sportsman that is no fun. All my other shotguns are virtually no kick. Beretta xcel A400 really no kick.
I picked up an 18" savage 320 as a hd shotgun that wouldn't be in the safe, figured a cheaper one would suit the purpose and if it did get taken in a break in I wouldn't have lost as much. That said it kicks like a mule, 2 3/4 00 has enough kick that I don't want to ever shoot it at paper again although I will have to occasionally.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:
RGB wrote:Thanks for the response. I don't have a LTC, so carrying concealed is not an option. I understand carrying (a pistol) in a vehicle, it has be concealed. If carrying as a shotgun it does not have to be concealed. I also, understand that I can legally conceal a pistol in a vehicle. The difference is when I carry on my motorcycle. A shotgun I can carry in a scabbard with the stock showing. Again thanks.
That's an interesting point. Let me see if I have this straight.

The whole concern about the Shockwave was that it might be a shotgun, which is an undefined term in Texas law. Under federal law, a shotgun has a definition and the Shockwave does not meet it, but the concern was that a Texas jury might decide to create a definition for "shotgun" that included a gun which was designed to be fired not from the shoulder. The Shockwave would then be a short barreled shotgun, due to it's barrel length.

But now that the Shockwave has been made legal (effective 9-1-2017) without settling the question of whether it is a "shotgun" it would be beneficial for an owner of this weapon to have it defined as a "shotgun" since we are allowed, under state law to conceal a "shotgun".

On the other hand, it was made legal by virtue of the ATF classifying it as not an NFA weapon (I believe), and the ATF has said that their determination is based on the fact that it is not easily concealed due to it's overall length, so if one was to conceal it would that then make it illegal per the ATF, and by extension not legal by virtue of the new law. If that is the case, then if the Shockwave meets the non-existant Texas definition of a "shotgun" it actually would be illegal again, wouldn't it?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
That's an interesting point. Let me see if I have this straight.

The whole concern about the Shockwave was that it might be a shotgun, which is an undefined term in Texas law. Under federal law, a shotgun has a definition and the Shockwave does not meet it, but the concern was that a Texas jury might decide to create a definition for "shotgun" that included a gun which was designed to be fired not from the shoulder. The Shockwave would then be a short barreled shotgun, due to it's barrel length.

But now that the Shockwave has been made legal (effective 9-1-2017) without settling the question of whether it is a "shotgun" it would be beneficial for an owner of this weapon to have it defined as a "shotgun" since we are allowed, under state law to conceal a "shotgun".

On the other hand, it was made legal by virtue of the ATF classifying it as not an NFA weapon (I believe), and the ATF has said that their determination is based on the fact that it is not easily concealed due to it's overall length, so if one was to conceal it would that then make it illegal per the ATF, and by extension not legal by virtue of the new law. If that is the case, then if the Shockwave meets the non-existant Texas definition of a "shotgun" it actually would be illegal again, wouldn't it?
If the ATF says it's not a NFA weapon, then concealing it will have no bearing on federal law. I think the concern was whether Texas considers it a Short Barrel Shotgun, Or Short rifle, even if not NFA. The new law clarifies that if Feds say it's not NFA, then it's legal in texas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

rotor wrote:Must kick like a mule. Watched hickock45 on youtube and nothing bothers him but slugs?? Just got a Maverick 88 18 inch barrel on sale at Academy and will try out this weekend with some 00 buckshot. Let us know how this handles. I have an old mule kicker 12g Remington Sportsman that is no fun. All my other shotguns are virtually no kick. Beretta xcel A400 really no kick.
My dad had a Montgomery Ward 12 ga single shot with a Tenite (plastic) stock that was the first shotgun I ever used as a kid. It kicked like a mule. I am anticipating the Shockwave is aptly named. my hands/fingers have no "oil", for lack of a better term, to provide grip due to a malady I suffer from. I may wear some thin gloves to prevent it slipping when I test it.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”