Will Modifications Lower the Value of a Browning M92?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

Will Modifications Lower the Value of a Browning M92?

Post by Crash »

I have a Browning Model 92 in .44 mag, a Centennial Model in 90 - 95% condition and I plan to keep it for the present. However, I may sell it sometime in the future. If I have it drilled and tapped for tang or receiver sights, will that lower it's collectable value? I'm thinking about hunting whitetails with it this year and I don't think that the standard buckhorn sights are really precise enough for hunting at 100 yards or so.

What say ye?

Crash

GreenMan0352
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Will Modifications Lower the Value of a Browning M92?

Post by GreenMan0352 »

Yes it would lower the collector value unfortunately. Resale value maybe not. If its someone who wants it as a collectors piece then they will want it as close to new from store as possible. For instance a Colt Python with no or a faint turn line with original box and paper work can and have sold easily for $3,000+ whereas a Python with no turn line but no box can drop the value significantly.

Resale value though maybe not. It just depends who you are trying to sale to and how rare the item is. Its like a Tavor NIB with all paperwork vs a slightly used Tavor with the Geissele lightning bow and the Geissele Super Sabra trigger pack as well as upgraded gas plate can sell for more than the one left in original configuration especially if you also have original parts.

So from a collector standpoint I would advise against doing any permanent modifications.

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Will Modifications Lower the Value of a Browning M92?

Post by Crash »

GreenMan0352 wrote:Yes it would lower the collector value unfortunately. Resale value maybe not. If its someone who wants it as a collectors piece then they will want it as close to new from store as possible. For instance a Colt Python with no or a faint turn line with original box and paper work can and have sold easily for $3,000+ whereas a Python with no turn line but no box can drop the value significantly.

Resale value though maybe not. It just depends who you are trying to sale to and how rare the item is. Its like a Tavor NIB with all paperwork vs a slightly used Tavor with the Geissele lightning bow and the Geissele Super Sabra trigger pack as well as upgraded gas plate can sell for more than the one left in original configuration especially if you also have original parts.

So from a collector standpoint I would advise against doing any permanent modifications.
GreenMan0352,

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much.

Crash

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”