Need suggestions for a gift

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Need suggestions for a gift

Post by RPBrown »

I am going to get my 15 year old grandson his first deer rifle for Christmas. He has been using my old 30/30 for a couple of years now and has shot my Remington 30.06 and likes it. As a starter rifle, I am looking at 3, all in 30.06. The Remington 783 with scope for $324.00, The Remington 700 ADL with scope for $442.00 and the Savage 11 DOA Hunter XP with a Bushnell scope for $414.00. I have read the American Rifleman reviews and all 3 have tested well.

Does anyone own any of these and what are your thoughts?
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need suggestions for a gift

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I got my daughter a Ruger American rifle in 243 for he 12th birthday. It’s a good shooter.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Remington 700 ADL
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

I vote the Savage.
I have used the AccuTrigger before and I think it is fantastic. You can tweak it yourself.
I believe that Savage is the most underrated Rifle maker out there.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

If you are looking for reliable, made in USA that is not semi-automatic, I highly recommend Henry Repeating Arms - especially for children.

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

montgomery wrote:If you are looking for reliable, made in USA that is not semi-automatic, I highly recommend Henry Repeating Arms - especially for children.
I plan on leaving him most all of my rifles and shotguns as he is the only one of my kids or grand kids that likes to hunt so I wasn't going to make his first rifle an expensive one. He will get those soon enough :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

comp73

Post by comp73 »

My very first rifle was a 700 ADL in 270 with the walnut stock and a Redfield scope. My Dad bought it used from a guy about to walk into a pawn shop for my 13th birthday. It definitely had a trigger job done and it is extremely accurate, especially since I swapped out that Redfield for a Leupold VX-3.

I also found that 700 ADL w/scope for $411 with free shipping from OK.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/717790243
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I've had the 700 ADL for about 35 years or so and i like. Been a very good rifle.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”